The Student Room Group

Glazer and Manchester United

I don't like football, i don't like Manchester United, but what the hell?!

"Manchester United has announced the appointment of Malcolm Glazer's sons Joel, Avram and Bryan as new non-executive directors of the club.
The announcement came as chairman Sir Roy Gardner said that he stood down from his post on 6 June"

"Glazer plans to take United off the stock exchange by June 22"

"As the owner of more than 75 percent of the club's shares, Glazer can write off his debt on the club's books and take it private."

Goodbye Manchester United!
financially, once that debt is piled on, theres little chance the club will be making a recovery for a long time.

Manchester United FC = dead?
What significance do you think this has on the perception of Americans in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What reason has Glazer got to "kill" Man U?
He can make a load of money by owning 75% of a club that has a successful football team.
Reply 2
jamlan
What reason has Glazer got to "kill" Man U?
He can make a load of money by owning 75% of a club that has a successful football team.

As far as i'm aware, Glazer is in a few £million of debt, and he's going to pile it onto Manchester United.
Football clubs are not good at handling debt, and the clubs outlook is dull.
Reply 3
All I know about Glazer is that he is a business genius that turned a failing (amercian) football team into a National Champion cash machine in 2 years. The guy is wealthy and successful for a reason and MU is one of the most famous football clubs in the world. It is probably the one and only team most Americans have ever even heard of. I would be very suprised if Glazer trashes the team.
Kondar
All I know about Glazer is that he is a business genius that turned a failing (amercian) football team into a National Champion cash machine in 2 years. The guy is wealthy and successful for a reason and MU is one of the most famous football clubs in the world. It is probably the one and only team most Americans have ever even heard of. I would be very suprised if Glazer trashes the team.

Agreed. If the Brits knew more about how astoundly successful he made the Buccaneers in such a short period of time (and how difficult that is in football), they might quiet down a bit...
Reply 5
beekeeper_
As far as i'm aware, Glazer is in a few £million of debt, and he's going to pile it onto Manchester United.
Football clubs are not good at handling debt, and the clubs outlook is dull.

Would people be making a big deal about this if Glazer was British?
Reply 6
yes they would make a big deal of it but not as much because stereotypically, british entrepreneurs aren't seen as money grabbing animals like americans.......and its presumed an englishman would care about a club so big around the world for representing england......and an english entrepreneur knows he wouldn't be able to walk down the street if he did screw united over and make us a rubbish club

............and although he turned around the buccaneers fortune on the pitch.......noone's mentioning what happened off it and how he hiked up prices for everything........and how they enjoyed one season of success and have now been at the bottom of their league for two straight years!!
Bismarck
Would people be making a big deal about this if Glazer was British?

Most people don't care about what their nationality is otherwise there would have been a similar situation with Chelsea a while back.
NDGAARONDI
Most people don't care about what their nationality is otherwise there would have been a similar situation with Chelsea a while back.

Well with Chelsea the guy buying had bilions as opposed to being millions in debt, most of the people I know do not like the fact that Abramovich is effectively buying the premiership though; but at least he is buying it as more of a hobby as opposed to make money - he's interested in the game.

As for Glazer - he has no interest in 'soccer' in itself but sees it as a way to make money, this is one reason why people are so pissed off about it, along with the impending ticket price hike and expected move to private TV deals - this would destroy the premiership giving lesser teams no chance to get better.
Golden Maverick
Well with Chelsea the guy buying had bilions as opposed to being millions in debt

Exactly. Abramovich also wished to invest in the club and he's a footballing man to heart.

Golden Maverick
most of the people I know do not like the fact that Abramovich is effectively buying the premiership though.

They should get used to it. Football has been rigged with money for decades, in fact, all professional sports are the same to some extent. I take it they haven't heard of Blackburn, Leeds, Fulham (Al Fayed took over and 'bought' promotion to the Premiership), Manchester United (though the stock exchange - flotation).
NDGAARONDI
They should get used to it. Football has been rigged with money for decades, in fact, all professional sports are the same to some extent. I take it they haven't heard of Blackburn, Leeds, Fulham (Al Fayed took over and 'bought' promotion to the Premiership), Manchester United (though the stock exchange - flotation).

True, having said that most of said friends are United supporters so no wonder.

Although Mourinhio (sp) is an arrogant bastard if ever I saw one.
Golden Maverick
True, having said that most of said friends are United supporters so no wonder.

Yep. They gloat at their financial muscle many years ago and now end up inferior and they don't like it. Oh and they didn't sell out in 2005, they sold out in 1991. :wink:

Golden Maverick
Although Mourinhio (sp) is an arrogant bastard if ever I saw one.

Arrogant he may be. Then again Brian Clough, Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger all have their moments.
Isn't he like 75 anyway? Why does he need any more money anyway? Most people at that age with millions in the bank would retire and buy a large house in the country or somwhere warmer.
sherunsaway
Isn't he like 75 anyway? Why does he need any more money anyway? Most people at that age with millions in the bank would retire and buy a large house in the country or somwhere warmer.

Americans like to keep themselves occupied until they keel over.
Reply 14
Even if Man U does fall into a decline as some fans etc are suggesting , isn't quite likely that they'd still be able to attract a take over bid due to their past reputation if Glazer did mess it up big time?!? But saying that, a guy of his status and experience must have alot of advisors. Notice how all the players are keeping reasonably ssstum about this? some kind of gag in order? or more likely that they don't care, they'll still get their £40,000+ a week.
Reply 15
psychic_satori
Agreed. If the Brits knew more about how astoundly successful he made the Buccaneers in such a short period of time (and how difficult that is in football), they might quiet down a bit...

But United weren't failing like the Buccaneers were. They are still the biggest club in the world, hugely profitable, but Glazer has not only isolated the fans as he hasn't the first clue about football or Man Utd but he will also saddled the club with debts which were unnecessary.
LH
But United weren't failing like the Buccaneers were. They are still the biggest club in the world, hugely profitable, but Glazer has not only isolated the fans as he hasn't the first clue about football or Man Utd but he will also saddled the club with debts which were unnecessary.

Point being that it's much more difficult to enable a team climb to the top than it is to keep a team successful.
Which begs the question why Manchester United and not any other team. May be he wants a battle with some Russian guy. You know how it is with Americans and their pals from Russia. :biggrin:
NDGAARONDI
Which begs the question why Manchester United and not any other team. May be he wants a battle with some Russian guy. You know how it is with Americans and their pals from Russia. :biggrin:

Because that's the only soccer team 98% of Americans have ever heard of.
psychic_satori
Because that's the only soccer team 98% of Americans have ever heard of.

You haven't heard of Real Madrid or AC Milan?

Latest

Trending

Trending