The Student Room Group

moving out - a good idea?

hey guys! my first post go easy on me :cool:

well im 20 and going to uni in september, ive made the decision to move into a shared student house with my gf, who'll be at college and im just wondering if itll be a good idea. it would definitly be a good idea as id have a better socail life as now its quite crap, thats one of the reasons im doing it. though im a bit worried that ill have to work part time aswell as doing uni, as might not be able to put all my time into essays and stuff. anyone else work and do uni?

also im quite close to my family, infact very close. i know my mum doesnt want me to move out and part of me doesnt but the other part wants to because i know ive gotta move on with my life and do it for myself. the uni is only about 20 mins away from where i live now so my mum doesnt see why id wanna move but i tell her its not about that :eek: its about having the student life etc etc!

anyway, any adice? thanks!
Reply 1
Most Uni Courses are about 12 hours a week and require that amount again at home (24 hours a week). If you think you can fit a job on 24 hours you should be OK :smile:

What ever you feel comfortable with I guess, I still live at home mainly because I enjoy doing so. I think I could probably afford living away from home... and if you think you are ready you would know :P

I would miss my parents as well, its only natural. Its a big step, but I am sure you can visit them as much as you like and call them whenever :smile:

Good luck with your move and your relationship Micheal (I am guessing thats your name) ^^
Um, I think his username is a reference to the Michael Jackson trial, but yeah I would go for the student house with your girlfriend. You've got to move out at some point, and get used to living without family, so go for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending