This discussion is closed.
Enzo-259
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I just went to see District 9 at the Cineworld at Fountain Park. I went with another friend who is 15 and two who are almost 17. All of us got ID'd and since neither I nor one of my 16 year old friends had any, they wouldn't sell us the ticket. We both look well over 15 so it shouldn't have been a problem. I understand that they are only doing their job but it gets worse. I saw a pair of teenagers, who were CLEARLY about our age, get ID'd for 500 days of summer!!! What the hell is going on with cinemas? I'm sorry, but I don't see why anyone should be stopped to go see a movie with a bit of blood and swearing unless they obviously haven't hit puberty. :rolleyes:

Anyway, we ended up buying tickets for something else and sneaking in. Well, it was more like calmly walking into the screen for District 9 in plain view of everyone working there and not being stopped. If they're going to be so strict on buying tickets, they might as well bother to enforce things properly huh?

I know a lot of you will disagree with what I'm saying and will no doubt tell me to remember my ID next time. The problem is, I don't HAVE any! I'm obviously not going to be carrying my passport around with me and since I can't have a driving license for obvious reasons it kind of narrows things down a bit. I guess I could get a young scott card or something but it's still a joke that I have to go to the trouble just to see a movie. The rule is supposed to be that you get ID'd if you look under the age limit, not over!

Anyway, that's my rant. Feel free to take it to pieces. :p:
impervious
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are PASS schemes out there for young persons id...
The cinema is only upholding the law, if you want to be angry be angry at the government.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some young people look older than they are - the cinema staff are right to be cautious, and there really is no reason for you not to carry around some form of ID.
However, I do agree that it must be annoying. At 13, my brother got refused access to a '12' film because he didn't have ID proving him to be 13 (why any 13 year old would carry ID around is beyond me!) ended up with a wasted bus journey totalling approximately £10.
username138106
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You clearly haven't seen the packs of tweenagers vomiting after too many Sorority Rows.
Moronic Acid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do you have any idea how easy it is to see films at a cinema when you're underage? Who cares if they ask for ID lol that's just them covering their own backs

I should know - I used to work in one
Mwoah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cpj1987)
Some young people look older than they are - the cinema staff are right to be cautious, and there really is no reason for you not to carry around some form of ID.
However, I do agree that it must be annoying. At 13, my brother got refused access to a '12' film because he didn't have ID proving him to be 13 (why any 13 year old would carry ID around is beyond me!) ended up with a wasted bus journey totalling approximately £10.
Where did you get the bus from? Sudan?
Nick_000
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Shock. Young people get asked for ID.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mwoah)
Where did you get the bus from? Sudan?
I didn't get the bus. :p:
He lives in a little village, approximately 20/25 minutes from the closest decent cinema on the bus route - and at the time (I'm not sure if it's still the same now) a return ticket cost around £10 because transport links to and from the village were terrible and there was no competition.
I think it's actually classed as a town now, though, with better transport links...
Lollyage
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I'm 15, and i look about 13-14 but i didn't get ID'd at cineworld...:dontknow:
Curly A
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol... this reminds me of the time my sister got asked for id to buy party poppers from the 99p shop. Shes 26!
Cupcakee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That is crazy!
I went to see Bruno when it came out and it was an 18. I got in with no problems and am 16. I just assumed cinemas don't really care too much
Ronar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My boyfriends 18 in a few days and we got id'd for a 15 :lolwut:

We thought the guy was joking...he then said 'for his birthday he should consider getting some id'

I was about to rip the guys head off before my boyfriend dragged me out the cinema and we went to another cinema
Enzo-259
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Moronic Acid)
Do you have any idea how easy it is to see films at a cinema when you're underage? Who cares if they ask for ID lol that's just them covering their own backs

I should know - I used to work in one
That's my other point. Why bother enforcing the ID rule if you can easily sneak in anyway?
Cynical Optimist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Enzo-259)
I'm obviously not going to be carrying my passport around with me
What, why? I know it's not ideal, but loads of people use their passport as ID. Ultimately, other than travel, that's really what it's there for...
Gueirguiy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Getting ID'd at a cinema is more stupid than Mike Tyson entering a beauty pageant.
JacksterD
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Best thing is use the express ticket machines, no body taking tickets ever questions your age, it's only the people selling tickets that question you.
pocketfulofposy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They're only doing their jobs.

Here in the States, getting ID'd for R and NC-17 films is common practice, so I don't see what the fuss is about really.

As someone has mentioned earlier, there is a proof of age card scheme in the UK, I know my friends back home in the UK had those cards before they were old enough to drive.
sonicboooom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is district 9 any good by the way?

Just use the machines, and if they only have pre-paid ticket machines buy the tickets on the internet before u go and pick em up there. Or just take some ID.
JeevesTSR
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The worst time i got asked for ID was when trading in a game at a gamestation!!!
Daya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My friend works in one and she gets told to ID every 6 person, for any film, unless it's a Universal. So even if they want to see a 12 and are clearly over 80, she has to ID them
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
6.6%
They might tell the bully (29)
10.07%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (106)
36.81%
There's nothing they could do (90)
31.25%

Watched Threads