The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
are you aware that femal circumsision is for an entirelyu different reason to male?
Reply 81
trigger
are you aware that femal circumsision is for an entirelyu different reason to male?

Yes I am, however I am simply using that to point out how objectionable some parts of religious dogma is. Just because it is part of religious faith does not necessarily make it right or acceptable.
Reply 82
true, but i cant help realising this thread has gone seriously off topic
female circumcision i disagree with because at the end of the day its sole function is cause sex to be unpleasant for women so they wont have sex too often because they dont enjoy it! circumcision isnt something that really harms someone one way or another! some kids have long hair, some kids are vegans, some kids are circumcised! there are so many things in life we arent given a say in, especially while we're young. Its hardly what i'd call mutalizing!its one tiny snip! and seeing as there are pleanty of men who grow up and then have to have it removed so maybe the parents who do it early are right i dont know.

And as for not beating up religion - people are! comments like god is a ****** is an insult! If i said your mum was a ***** i'd expect to get hit! You might not agree with a religion, and thats fair enough, but people believe very strongly in their customs! So maybe a little decorum when posting about religion would be a good idea.
Reply 84
trigger
true, but i cant help realising this thread has gone seriously off topic

I disagree, it is still about circumcision so it is still covered by the title!!
Reply 85
yes but religion?
Reply 86
Lauren Hart
female circumcision i disagree with because at the end of the day its sole function is cause sex to be unpleasant for women so they wont have sex too often because they dont enjoy it! circumcision isnt something that really harms someone one way or another! some kids have long hair, some kids are vegans, some kids are circumcised! there are so many things in life we arent given a say in, especially while we're young. Its hardly what i'd call mutalizing!its one tiny snip! and seeing as there are pleanty of men who grow up and then have to have it removed so maybe the parents who do it early are right i dont know.

And as for not beating up religion - people are! comments like god is a ****** is an insult! If i said your mum was a ***** i'd expect to get hit! You might not agree with a religion, and thats fair enough, but people believe very strongly in their customs! So maybe a little decorum when posting about religion would be a good idea.

Male circumcision is known to cause sensitivity problems thus making sex less pleasant for men, it may be a side effect, but how is that different to your objection to female circumcision??? Of course because of this loss of sensitivity obviously it does harm!!

Well I know I am not beating up any religions so my conscious is clear. Though if you said that about my mum you wouldn't be hit, more killed, but then again it's a much worse thing to insult the dead.
Reply 87
Lauren Hart
comments like god is a ****** is an insult! If i said your mum was a ***** i'd expect to get hit! You might not agree with a religion, and thats fair enough, but people believe very strongly in their customs! So maybe a little decorum when posting about religion would be a good idea.

why should I tip toe round a bunch of human rights abusers?
"hey, this very very old book tells us to cut off our childrens foreskins".. no one deserves respect for that.
Reply 88
trigger
yes but religion?

My arguments are not about religion, merely religious dogma promoting the use of circumcision, especially on young babies who can't consent to the procedure.
Reply 89
i was christened as a young child should i be angry?
Reply 90
SciFi25
Male circumcision is known to cause sensitivity problems thus making sex less pleasant for men, it may be a side effect, but how is that different to your objection to female circumcision??? Of course because of this loss of sensitivity obviously it does harm!!

Well I know I am not beating up any religions so my conscious is clear. Though if you said that about my mum you wouldn't be hit, more killed, but then again it's a much worse thing to insult the dead.

thats not fair scaring her into submission now is it?
you should tip toe around them because its what people believe, you think its wrong, they think its right! Simple!

As for the difference between male and female - a little desensitizing isnt even 1% as bad as what happens to women so don't even begin to compare the two! Female circumcision doesnt make it less pleasuralbe, it makes it torture!

Its not even harmful so far as im concerned for men as "harm" by its definition has to do something that causes pain! which it doesnt! And frankly there are just as many "bad" things about having a foreskin!
Reply 92
trigger
i was christened as a young child should i be angry?

Well I am slightly annoyed by it, I mean it was extremely presumptuous.
Reply 93
trigger
thats not fair scaring her into submission now is it?

I am not trying to scare her. I am simply stating that I would do more than hit her in that scenario (not that I would ever hit a woman). I am very respectful of the dead.
Reply 94
though i dont have to follow the religion, i know its not the same as being circumsised but if you think about it how many man in britan do have it done and if your born into the religion its expected...you havent been done so why are you worried?
Reply 95
SciFi25
I am not trying to scare her. I am simply stating that I would do more than hit her in that scenario (not that I would ever hit a woman). I am very respectful of the dead.

my father is also dead though i find it disrespectful to use that fact to win arguments
I think you should be greatful that your parents loved you enough to think that if you died you would go to heaven according to what they believe! Its not so much an imposition of faith - thats you're choice! You arent a christian because you've been christened! You're only truely a christian when you're old enough to make the choice yourself! The idea of infant baptism is to ensure that should anything happen the baby will go to heaven or if anything happens to the parents, the baby is in the safety of the people chosen! Its a mark of love! Or so i think
Reply 97
Lauren Hart
you should tip toe around them because its what people believe, you think its wrong, they think its right! Simple!

As for the difference between male and female - a little desensitizing isnt even 1% as bad as what happens to women so don't even begin to compare the two! Female circumcision doesnt make it less pleasuralbe, it makes it torture!

Its not even harmful so far as im concerned for men as "harm" by its definition has to do something that causes pain! which it doesnt! And frankly there are just as many "bad" things about having a foreskin!

Anything which diminishes normal sensation can be defined by harm. What are the bad things about having a foreskin, name them because i have never had a problem with mine.
Reply 98
trigger
my father is also dead though i find it disrespectful to use that fact to win arguments

I am not using it to win any arguements. She asked a question I answered it. How was that using it to win an arguement?? :confused:
Reply 99
trigger
though i dont have to follow the religion, i know its not the same as being circumsised but if you think about it how many man in britan do have it done and if your born into the religion its expected...you havent been done so why are you worried?

I am worried because of the massive violation of human rights which is carried out unpunished in the name of religion. being born into a religion does not mean that you will follow that religion, for instance, yes I am English and very proud of it but that does not mean I will stay a British citizen all my life. I may decide to become a citizen of another country. I was born into the CofE religion, went to a religious school, yet I am not religious in any way. However I am not about to start an arguement about that.

Latest