Turn on thread page Beta

AQA AS Chemistry 8th June - HOW DID YOU DO? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Alright guys, how have all of you done?

I did module 2 (foundation physical and inorganic chemistry). And I must say it was incredibly easy!! I'm almost certain I have scored 100%!!

Completed it in half-an-hour and spent the rest of the time checking through my answers several times!

(I did modules 1 and 3 last year {and 2 as well, but retook it today})

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I took module 2 resit aswell. It went pretty well and I would say there's a chance I got them all right. I agree it seemed quite short aswell, which saved me as I did spot a couple of errors in checking through.

Are we ok to discuss the questions yet or might people still be to take the exam in other countries?

ReputationRep:
    Did module 2 and 3. Found 3 pretty easy, 2 was more difficult but I reckon I did quite well on it too.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, 2 was well easy, 3 was a little bit harder but still easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldmansteptoe)
    yeah, 2 was well easy, 3 was a little bit harder but still easy

were the annswers -789 and -777 or were they positive?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that is what i got, the signs do not matter. or so it has been on all of the past papers.

ReputationRep:
    I got -789 & -777 as well, so I'm hoping they're correct. I think I did quite well on both modules, but of course i'm not expecting 100% or anything like that because I tend to make some silly errors in exams that I don't really notice.

ReputationRep:
    I got -789 and -777 too. In the mark schemes I've looked at of past papers (from AQA site) it usually says maximum 1 mark (out of the 3) if the sign is wrong.

What did you put for the 2 conditions required for extracting aluminium by electrolysis?

I put something about it being moltern or dissolved in moltern cryolite for one of them. I couldnt decide what to put for the other though, I put carbon electrodes in the end but I dont know if this is really a 'condition'? I decided against putting 'High temperature' because it seems too related to my first condition. Not convinced either of mine were right really

ReputationRep:
    For the conditions I put: molten cryolite and 1000 degrees C

ReputationRep:
    that's exactly what I did :
    I said molten cryolite is added to lower the temperature from about 2000-950.

I couldn't think of any tangible point than carcbon electrodes for the next point.

ReputationRep:
    all 3 papers were easy. just had to learn answers to past papers
    i put dissolved in molten cryolite and high temperature (~1000 degrees C)

ReputationRep:
    I would have put carbon electrodes but decided they wouldn't accept it as a condition! I'm sure molten cryolite and temperature of 1000 degrees C would be accepted as separate things.

ReputationRep:
    i thought the same

ReputationRep:
    i put high temperature and molten cryolite too, only question that annoyed me!! wat did everyone put for the reason why the one value was higher than other, i put heat loss but my chem teacher sed it was cus the other was average enthalpy values. Module 2 was very easy, module 3 was almost just as easy and module 1 was slightly harder but not bad cus i was resitiing, some of the yr 12s might have found it harder tho.

ReputationRep:
    i wrote that bond enthalpy takes into account many different molecules while formation enthalpy only takes into account one compound

ReputationRep:
    I think both may be true.

Mean bond enthalpies were used in the first part which means the actual enthalpies could be less than the mean.

Also in the experimental determination of standard enthalpy of formation of the various compounds, there may be heat loss due to the specific heat capacity of the apparatus used.

ReputationRep:
    I retook 3 thought it was ok-ish not as similar to past papers as I would have liked, and I spent ages learnign about sulphur impurities and carbonmonoxide/sulphurdioxide being toxic n causing acid rain and about car engines and no +co AND IT WASN'T EVEN IN THE PAPER GRR

is a fraction "a group of hydrocarbons with the same or similar chain lengths/mr" and the thing about seperating molecules of petrolem because" they have different boiling points/chain lengths" ??

and for the economic reason for cracking "lew raw resource has to be extracted?"

Also oil-> marg ni/h2?

those are the q's I asn't too sure about, them at the mech for KOH in ethanol to KBR and water. do you draw ho:- arrow to the H then you have c with hoh+ on it and the + on the o takes the bond line, then u end up with C+ and a hydrogen bond drops down and the br takes its bond and goes?
    hope that maeks sence lol.

ReputationRep:
    For 'fraction' i wrote group of hydrocarbons with similar boiling points
    Economic reason i wrote smaller hydrocarbons are in higher demand so may sell for more
    Marg q i wrote Nickel catalyst n H2 reagent

about ur mechanism cant fully understand it but it sounds about right to me

ReputationRep:
    glad to see i got the enthalpy Q's right
    did all 3 mods today and was really impressed with the papers. thought they were all good, especailly the section B's which is where i was dropping marks in mocks.
    section B mod 3, i think i got all the marks
    also the maxwell distribution was a good question for section B

thought hardest question was mechanism for ammonia and 2-bromo propane

ReputationRep:
    Yea i did units 2 & 3 n they were quite easy, possibilities for full marks

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2005

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.