Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel Chemistry Unit 2 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I thought this exam was soo easy but I did do it as a retake, and I wonder how did I ever find the organic in this module hard. What did u lot think? Also what did u put for what type of reagent HBr was, I put an electrophile but we were unsure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meawinner1)
    I thought this exam was soo easy but I did do it as a retake, and I wonder how did I ever find the organic in this module hard. What did u lot think? Also what did u put for what type of reagent HBr was, I put an electrophile but we were unsure.
    Yes it was easy, but i dont think u should beposting about smthn like this just yet, some ppl may not have finished thier test :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry I assumed it would have been at 9 and they would not have been allowed out of the exam room to go on a computer

ReputationRep:
    yea everyone has done the exam by now i think.

ReputationRep:
    Unit 2 was good... so was Unit 1. but I'm worried about 3B cuz i know for a fact that i messed up an entire question in that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meawinner1)
    i put reducing agent.. because the other molecule gains a hydrogen..

but lol thats probably wrong :/

anyone know what mark you need out of 60 to get maximum ums?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fazi)

In my opinion.
    A-grade boundaries
    C1 - 50/60
    C2 - 45/60
    C3B - 38 or 39/50

Full marks.
    C1 - 60
    C2 - 56
    C3B - 46

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fazi)

My m8 put reducing agent but that isn't mentioned anywhere in unit2 so I am jsut confused abt that question but who cares it was only worth one mark

ReputationRep:
    what did people write for why is cryolite used? 1 mark.

ReputationRep:
    It lowers the boiling point of the aluminium oxide, cos it's got too high a boiling point to be used as the electrolyte.

Well that's what I wrote.

God it was a lot easier than i thought it was gonna be. And I wrote electrophile too :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anti_starlet)
    It lowers the boiling point of the aluminium oxide, cos it's got too high a boiling point to be used as the electrolyte.

Well that's what I wrote.

God it was a lot easier than i thought it was gonna be. And I wrote electrophile too :P

yea i wrote electophile too.

I said cryolite is used because the melting point of bauxite is too high, i guess that wrong and should have wrote aluminium instead since purification had already been done.

ReputationRep:
    I said in order to decrease the melting point of aluminium oxide...is that correct?

ReputationRep:
    All 3 papers were VERY easy...Probably becasue the Jan 05 was pretty hard.
    I have a question...for one of the questions, I think in unit 2 ...the one about the average bond enthalpies, bond breaking and bond making...what were your values?

ReputationRep:
    i messed up a whole question. you know in the Contact process we had to state the pressure. well the pressure tht i wrote instead of 2atm. 200atm. guess i got confused. si i explained this pressure for the next question. would i get marks if i have wrote the wrong pressure but explained the pressure rightly? i guess the question was like 3 marks

ReputationRep:
    mine was huge, i think a bit more than 1000kj/mol, and the reason why it differed so much? I put because they werent in their standard states. WAs cryolite used because the m.p of aluminium is too high or is it the mp of aluminium oxide? Also What happens to aluminium oxide on addition of sodium hydroxide, and whats the reason?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riddles55)
    mine was huge, i think a bit more than 1000kj/mol, and the reason why it differed so much? I put because they werent in their standard states. WAs cryolite used because the m.p of aluminium is too high or is it the mp of aluminium oxide? Also What happens to aluminium oxide on addition of sodium hydroxide, and whats the reason?
    it dissolves to form sodium aluminate because aluminium oxide is amphoteric, ie it can react with an acid or a base.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theunforgiven)
    i messed up a whole question. you know in the Contact process we had to state the pressure. well the pressure tht i wrote instead of 2atm. 200atm. guess i got confused. si i explained this pressure for the next question. would i get marks if i have wrote the wrong pressure but explained the pressure rightly? i guess the question was like 3 marks
    error carried forward, so I think you might still get 3 marks.

ReputationRep:
    -1306kJ/mol...?....
    I said that it reacts with NaOH beacuse it is slightly acidic to give sodium aluminate which is filter out....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    error carried forward, so I think you might still get 3 marks.
    *phew*

ReputationRep:
    i did the sodium aluminate thing too, but i didnt know why it formed sodium aluminate...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2005

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.