Just done Salters AS exams June 8th... Watch

This discussion is closed.
corkskrew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
...well I lie, I only did Module 1 - "Chemistry for Life" (scored a whopping 69/90 last year, looking for some improvement this year lol).
I thought it was good, but that first module is pretty second nature by the end of the A2 course.
Anybody else care to comment?
cherc2005
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yep i just did the same module just now.
I found it mostly straigh forward, but some parts were a little tricky.

I have queries for the following:

What did everyone put for the bit where it said
"why is the age of the rock an under-estimate?" (2marks)

What did you name the solution 'x' in the bottom of the test tube as? (1mark)

Can you remember what answers you got for that big calculations question, where a) work out the energy transferred to water, b) calculate maxmimum energy released from reaction and c) % of energy from maxmum energy transfered to the water?

Did anyone get UO2 for the emperical formula? (3marks)

What was yout answer for the very last question - calculating the enthalpy of the reaction? i think i got -109 kJ mol-1 ? (3marks).

Thats all i can think of, anyone else remember anything they think is worth discussing?
Synkronized
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I just re-sat the 2nd module, 'Natural Resources.' Did it last year, got a high B, but i need as many marks as possible to get an overall A through the big synoptic paper this june (A2). I was shocked to be honest at the difference between the paper I took and the paper they made me sit today... it seemed like they'd changed half the specification! Still, don't think I improved, but its good revision for the final synoptic papers, so its all good.

...right? right?! *cries*
loobie_lou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yea I did the same paper this morning - what a cow of a first question!!! But I think once I'd focussed I managed to do okay - this was my 3rd attempt so I'll be annoyed if I haven't got an A by this time!! :p:

I'm re-doing the Chemistry of Materials paper as well - so yes it's all good practise for the synoptic!

Ellie x
cherc2005
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
any1 do unit 1 (2850)?
awesome
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I dresat chem of natural resources. Im doing A2.What i had never done parts per million whats all that about. I didn;t do that. Also i didn't do the percentage one of PbS. I couldn't remember the avagadro thing either. But i put th eunits and equatipon down for the next part. Thats was about it. I thought it was a fair paper though. What did you all get for the last question?
CharleeB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cherc2005)
What did everyone put for the bit where it said
"why is the age of the rock an under-estimate?" (2marks)

What did you name the solution 'x' in the bottom of the test tube as? (1mark)

Can you remember what answers you got for that big calculations question, where a) work out the energy transferred to water, b) calculate maxmimum energy released from reaction and c) % of energy from maxmum energy transfered to the water?

Did anyone get UO2 for the emperical formula? (3marks)

What was yout answer for the very last question - calculating the enthalpy of the reaction? i think i got -109 kJ mol-1 ? (3marks).
i made up some rubbish about being hard to measure radiation from gas particles on a geiger counter coz they're spread out and move around :confused: was a COMPLETE invention concoted in the 20mins i had spare at the end.

I said that solution X was limewater ( i think im thinking of the right question)

i cant remember what i got for those first 2 calculations clearly, possibly 19.8 and 39.2 , but they may be random numbers in my head from all the other exams ive had. im fairly sure that i got 40-something for the percentage though.

yep got UO2 for the empirical formula

and yep 109 kJ mol-1
amie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I just re-sat the 2nd module, 'Natural Resources.' Did it last year, got a high B, but i need as many marks as possible to get an overall A through the big synoptic paper this june (A2). I was shocked to be honest at the difference between the paper I took and the paper they made me sit today... it seemed like they'd changed half the specification! Still, don't think I improved, but its good revision for the final synoptic papers, so its all good.

...right? right?! *cries*
That is exactly the same as me!! Except I got a low C last time and that dragged my entire grade down. Grr!

I really can't see me having improved, which is bit rubbish because thanks to my crap teachers not teaching us anything for 2 years, I now need 2 A's on the final papers to get a B overall. I've resigned myself to getting a C...oh well, as long as I do better in my other subjects, I can still go to uni. I hope
PennyRoyalTea
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i did unit 1 and 2 today ..urghhh those exams were horrible!! yeh i got limewater, uo2 ...anyone get 0.005 for the very last question on the second paper??? i know that's wrong
CharleeB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oh did people get 100, for the how many ppm thing?
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hey, i did both papers, first time, hoping i got As :confused: i found chemistry for life a lot harder because of hard calculations. but i think that was mostly due to the fact didn't read one of the Qs properly until at the very end.

the Q about radon formation of gas and destruction- i said it was a gas so hard to measure and also its continually being made and destructed so you can never be sure how much there was- thts why its an underestimate.

yep it was definitely lime water, part ii) or w/e proved that.

i got UO, seemed close enough and couldn't be bothered, didn't really try

it was definitely not 100 for ppm! we had 99.99 i think and so had to divide that by 10000 (ten thousand), nice n simple if you've read through storylines!

for the last enthalpy Q i got -109, could be wrong dunno :confused: probably is considering i was mighty confused!

the enthalpy change of reaction was 0.89 ( i think). the maximum enthalpy change- thats the Q that totally threw me!! though then i realised we had to use the 1.2g reacted, so i got 39 i think then efficiency of 2.2, or thats just a random no. that comes to mind!

for the formulas given- there were 4 and we had to say what type of thing they were i put unbranched alkane, unbranced alkene, cycloalkane, branched alkene? not sure bout the last one?

yeh natural resources first Q was harsh! but i found it good i think, relatively confident i at least got a B. i was annoyed there wasn't much on the halogens- what are CFC's? lol, can't think of any problem Qs atm, hmm
CharleeB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeh but didnt you have to say 0.01/100 and then times the 0.01 by 10000, wasnt the 99.9 for the other substance... grr have i misread the question?
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CharleeB)
yeh but didnt you have to say 0.01/100 and then times the 0.01 by 10000, wasnt the 99.9 for the other substance... grr have i misread the question?
i think it was 99.99 that we had to divide, we need someone elses opinion to confirm
Baby S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i put 100 because it said the ppm of the impurities!! which is (100 - 99.99) / 10000

i coudn't do the last question on 2848.

4 the last question on 2850, i got -801 cos i forgot that - and - makes +!! o well!! i should still get the 2 marks for workin shoundn't i? even if the last step was rong
Baby S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
woops i meant times by 10000
mrjoe
Report 13 years ago
the ppm answer was 100.

The question said that 99.99% of the sample was Pb how many ppm are there of the impurity?

so there is 0.01% impurity, thats 0.01 per 100, so divide by 100 and times by 100000 to get ppm = 100!

I thought the paper was alright overall.
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
haha if only i read questions properly, :bawling:
cherc2005
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So in unit 1 - the % effiecncy/energy question
you had to use the difference in mass? i.e. 20g-18.8g = 1.2g?

People in my school got many different answers, some got 2.55%, others got inb the 40's. Im not sure. But i think i got it wrong.

I found the 6mark question quite straight forward. Any1 have difficulty on that one?
CharleeB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mrjoe)
the ppm answer was 100.

The question said that 99.99% of the sample was Pb how many ppm are there of the impurity?

so there is 0.01% impurity, thats 0.01 per 100, so divide by 100 and times by 100000 to get ppm = 100!
yay
corkskrew
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
In Chemistry for Life the age was an underestimate because:

Solid decays to gas
Gas can disperse and escape
Therefore it looks like theres less gas
So less rock appears to have decayed
Therefore less time has passed since t=0s

Limewater turns clear - cloudy with CO2 bubbled through it

Efficiency of transfer to the water was 46.2% or something

Hess Cycle on the back page.... minus (the water formation plus the epoxywatsit formation) plus the formation of the other doodah. 109 sounds hopeful :-)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (261)
26.74%
No (715)
73.26%

Watched Threads