Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find the chemistry exam this morning? i thort it was really hard! did anyone else find it hard!? or was it just me!!?? :confused: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I thought chains and rings was ok in parts but then other places were dodgy as hell. How Far How Fast seemed easy though, the rocket fuel question I swear I have seen it before, and no Hess' Law which was cool, replaced by the specific heat capacityxmassx dt I think. However most people in my class thought C&R to be easy and HFHF hard, so we never know...the triple bond bromine isomer thing was odd and I had a hell of a time drawing that darn ester I went outside the box.

Most people complained about the molar calculations in HFHF and oxidation numbers, but they should know their foundation chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    yeah me too! I did chains and rings, and how far how fast. And i thought chains and rings was pretty much ok, except for the very lat question where it asked for 2 uses of CFC excluding a refrigerant, i put repellant, but i couldnt think of a second one so i just put for use in packaging and storage becuase it is very unreactive, but i dont think i'll get the mark. I thought how far how fast was harder but i recon i didnt do too badly.
    Im quite worried tho, you know if everyone does quite badly in one year, then the put up some people mark, becuase they need a certain percentage to get A's and watever, does that mean if everybody does well, then they put some people marks down a bit becuase it was too easy? because everyone i know found the chains and rings really easy?

ReputationRep:
    just back from the exam room, i haven't had my lunch even~ hungry, 1,2,3 module together, and i have extra time as i am overseas

chains n rings is an easy one but unit 1 is quite hard i think~

ReputationRep:
    Chains and Rings I found really easy but HFHF was harder - I forgot oxidation numbers? Triple bond bromine isomer thing? Didn't they ask us to just do 3 isomers of dibromo-propane? I put fire extinguishers for the second use for CFCs but for the first something made me put propellors instead of propellants

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I had to do all 3 (resit module 1). I though chains & rings was ok but the How far how fast was harder than expected. The last question about homogeneous and hetrogeneous catalysts I'd done loads of times so that was quite easy. The question I messed up a bit was increasing the temperature and ther colour change. I changed it and said exothermic instead of endothermic but I said takes heat out so maybe i'll get 1 mark out of 3 on that? The rest of it was pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    That refrigerant one was an odd question - I put flame retardant because it bonds with free radicals in combustion or some crap, and that it's volatile and used in spray cans...and that it is not harmful as that guy inhaled it.

Well I did at first do just 3 isomers of dibromopropane, then I thought that's too easy and did a primary one then a secondary one and tertiary one. I am probably wrong though. Just got suspicious as it was too easy : &
    Because one isomer was primary formed from the alkene and the other was secondary so I did a primary and secondary for 2 of them as it seemed to make sense as they said the alkyne reacted in the same way...

I think I had full marks for HFHF but since I found C&R and every one else easy then it may be cancelled out...

You know the polymer question, it was poly(propene) right? One of my friends wrote poly(methylethene) !!

Another boy who had no clue for either module wrote for the name of the above polymer "2-diane-spentane". His ester structure was just a penis and he drew stick men having sex on a rocket in his HFHF paper. What do you think the exam board would do about this? Does any one know? Can they really do anything about that?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I put polypropene

Is this how you drew it when it asked for 2 repeating units?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...r/untitled.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I put the CH3 on the second carbon and you have to have the end bonds free showing that it's repeated. I put the end bonds with stars at the end.

ReputationRep:
    OCR sounds a lot more difficult than the AQA I sat.

ReputationRep:
    I only resat the chem of natural resources paper (doing A2). the first question was probably the trickiest parts per million and the % question. What was your answers to the last question in g/dm^-3. Overall i thought it was a fair paper. All the AS people were thinking it was hard.

ReputationRep:
    I also put refrigerant for use in refrigerators and as a propellant gas in an aerosol.

ReputationRep:
    Well i thort the chains and rings was really hard!!!!! i found the HFHF piss easy! apart from the oxidation numbers! and i dont think that they should put questions from other modules on other papers! i think its really unfair!! i did 9 hours solid revision last nighT!! didnt really help all that much! i put propanol as the polymer!! :s arrgghh!! i drew the ester right tho wich i was quite proud of!! what was the conditions for the hydration???
    I havent a clue what the exam board will do about the guy who drew the stick men having sex! but they will probably write and complain to the college or sumthing!! in my GCSE's one of the girls i knew wrote "Bollox" it all her maths paper answer boxes!!! but they never said n e thing, she just failed!!! ahh well... all over and done with now... cant change it now!!! how was the retake for everyone? i didnt have to do it, but was it better than the january one??

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=harry1153] I did chains and rings, and how far how fast. And i thought chains and rings was pretty much ok, except for the very lat question where it asked for 2 uses of CFC excluding a refrigerant,

Damn did it say excluding a refrigerent. whats all this about chains and rings? and HFHF. was i doing the same paper.

ReputationRep:
    haha thanks for sharing that bollox thing, it's quite interesting

For the hydration I had Phosphoric acid catalyst, 600K 6MPa

ReputationRep:
    Did anyway do OCR (salters)- chem of natural resources. Minerals to elements, atmosphere, polymer revolution and WM(only alcohols)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trolley)
    haha thanks for sharing that bollox thing, it's quite interesting

For the hydration I had Phosphoric acid catalyst, 600K 6MPa
    why dont u use atm. were not taught Pa.

ReputationRep:
    It's approximatly 65 atmospheres pressure, 300 degrees celcius and a concentrated phosphoric acid catalyst!

ReputationRep:
    Another boy who had no clue for either module wrote for the name of the above polymer "2-diane-spentane". His ester structure was just a penis and he drew stick men having sex on a rocket in his HFHF paper. What do you think the exam board would do about this? Does any one know? Can they really do anything about that?
    A girl at my school did something not as bad as that in her Gsn studies. the exam board wrote to the head teacher about how they were outraged and wanted to cancel all exams she had with them on all subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I put the CH3 on the second carbon and you have to have the end bonds free showing that it's repeated. I put the end bonds with stars at the end.
    yeah thats what i meant

i forgot already lol

On chains & rings on the 2nd to last question, did you say silver nitrate AgNo3 to illustrate the trends in hydrolysis?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.