The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
that why i am asking all you knowlagable people what your predictions will be for the boundaries
lucaz
that why i am asking all you knowlagable people what your predictions will be for the boundaries

Your asking the knowledgable people. No doubt they found it pretty easy, but how about the unknowledgable people, they would bring the boundaries down. SO unless theres a pool of knowledgable and unknowledgable people, its hard to predict. So perhaps you want to ask the unknowledgable people aswell as the knowledgable people on this forum how well they did, we can work out the rough grade boundaries. :smile:
Reply 62
oxidation state of oxygen in potassium superoxide? +2 ?
Reply 63
is it not +1
Reply 64
-1/2 i thought oh well.
Reply 65
Reply 66
fazi
-1/2 i thought oh well.

it is -0.5
fazi
-1/2 i thought oh well.

dammit- it is -1/2, i completely forgot about 02, so i wrote -1. Argh!
Reply 68
lol i should really get off this forum and do my s1 revision.
Reply 69
-1/2 is right answer :smile:
Reply 70
lucaz

the knowlagable people here arent the examiners.
Mathemagician
the knowlagable people here arent the examiners.

innit
Reply 72
sorry, i mean -1. If k is plus 1 then surely 02 is -1
Reply 73
lucaz
sorry, i mean -1. If k is plus 1 then surely 02 is -1

yeah, O2 = -1
so an OXYGEN atom = -0.5
Reply 74
BCHL85
-1/2 is right answer :smile:

i thought oxidation numbers where all whole numbers and that's why i changed my answer to i think -1/
That sucks!
Oh well, this question was only one mark right?
Reply 75
that is mathematically incorrect.

edit: gordon -->you deleted your message :p:
Reply 76
I also thought this exam was very easy but everyone else ive spoken to said they thought it was easy as well. So that is bad news for us. So just because u think u might have done well; u might not get the grade u want :frown:
Reply 77
Heidi
I also thought this exam was very easy but everyone else ive spoken to said they thought it was easy as well. So that is bad news for us. So just because u think u might have done well; u might not get the grade u want :frown:

yeah true. But alot of people would have lost ALOT of marks on the explanation questions. The mark schemes are specific.
i'm glad that the planning was only 4marks (i think), unlike previous papers where they had long 8mark planning questions.
Reply 79
If I remember, the grade boundaries at A-level are fixed, thats why they are much harder than GCSE's which are based around overall performance.

I know psychology is not the same subject as chemistry but I went to a psychology a-level lecture and they said that everyone can get and A grade and everyone can fail....

I believe the a-level boundaries for chemistry are fixed... ie. if everyone got a total of 5 uniform marks for their chemistry a-level, EVERYONE would get a U..

Im pretty sure the grade boundaries are fixed at a-level. They do fluctuate a little bit, but on the whole if you look at the boundaries over the years (ie in the back of a mark scheme) you will find that the grade boundaries in chemistry to remain very similar and consistent every year.

So those who are saying that grade boundaries are altered purely on performance I think are wrong.

Latest