Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how did u find it. i thought the questions were ok for people who could do english, so the boundries will be high, however, i cant, so i just wrote rubbish

ReputationRep:
    I thought the last question was a bit weird. It was like something you'd get on a year 9 sats paper!

ReputationRep:
    yer, that is the type of question we have got every year for our school exams for the last 5 years!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think it was difficult, just rediculous. Especially the last question. 30 makrs for writing a "letter about a school trip" is crazy. I agree, it is like a SATS paper!

I think I missed out some key points for Q2 about the style of writing (metaphors and stuff?) but I think Q1 was okay.

ReputationRep:
    in question two, i could pick out the things like the pun and stuff, but i could describe their effect or the reason for them, that is why im useless at english exams

ReputationRep:
    were there different papers today? I had my exam on non fiction and media. I always find Enlish hard since its not my first language.

I was stumped on the first one (a) How did the hollanders dry out the ice etccc?

Charikaar

ReputationRep:
    are u sure u did ocr as it was media and non-fiction, and they were questions on themeparks

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you did OCR? The paper we had was on Theme Parks :cool:

ReputationRep:
    exactly what i said...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottomness)
    are u sure u did ocr as it was media and non-fiction, and they were questions on themeparks

I did foundation..........

Wish the trip letter was on my paper........... i memorised 600 words trip letter yesterday(found on bbc site)

charikaar

ReputationRep:
    exactly what i said...
    Sorry we answered at almost the same time

ReputationRep:
    dont worry, that was meant to be kinda sarcastic, which you cant tell by writing

ReputationRep:
    I think this is the exam I have done the best in so far. I already have a C (took foundation and got 62/62 100%) on the second language paper cos I took it in January.

How many words did you all write for the summary?
    I wrote 265 but I know your only supposed to do 250.

ReputationRep:
    rub it in then...i know ive done awful in it, as i always have done, and i wrote a lot more than that i think, i didnt count, but it was 3/4 of a page and my writing is tiny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I hate skool)
    I think this is the exam I have done the best in so far. I already have a C (took foundation and got 62/62 100%) on the second language paper cos I took it in January.

Wow 100% in English(i miss full stops)

Anyone did foundation Tier or am the only one?

ReputationRep:
    What the flip? (lol) Are you talking about the OCR English exam? You counted your words? Or have you got the wrong end of the stick.

I'm quite pissed off about it. I mean, the questions weren't hard, it's just I was naughty, and went over my time limit for the first one, but at least it was ok. Then, for the second question, which was probably quite easy, I f u cked up coz I was stressed for time. I mean, it wasn't awful, but I actually don't think I mentioned metaphor, similes any of that! Eek! I chatted crap. I said that it incorporated direct speech, informality and flippancy I think. And that, Palmer exaggerated certain aspects for comic value, ie. he kept going on about death ("electric chair", "if I survive" etc, just to add dramatic humour). I chatted crap. Oh yeah, I said it was relatable when he was talking about his children and stuff, and that it added elements of realism to his experience. And also that...um...the reader empathised with him, and some crap.

And I think I said something about the last paragraph being rather short, and sudden, which meant that his description of the ride stayed in the mind of the reader. Um, it was bad. This of course only left me with 15 minutes for the last question. In which once again I was very bad. I realised I didn't state a time for when the coach would arrive back home, just when it was leaving. My letter was only about 3 paragraphs long. Were people humorous or formal in the letter? I attempted to walk a fine line.

It wasn't as good as I expected. I couldn't really get into it in the time. But oh well, we've got the second paper.

ReputationRep:
    i wrote almost exactly the same as you for the second question, and i spent too long reading which took a lot of my time(it takes me at least twice to fully understand it-im slow)

ReputationRep:
    I found the paper good. Last question was VERY predictable :rolleyes: and tedious. I enjoyed the 2nd passage ... very funny, that always helps ... writing about an article you actually find interesting.

I didn't go into too much detail about the attraction for the last question. I done Thorpe Park ... everyone knows about Thorpe Park so I didn't wanna insult the parents intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    i made the place up, well kinda, i did a mix of where i live and where i went on a training camp with swimming at easter, i figured if i knew the place and thing i was writing about, i would have a chance of being able to do it
    i found the second article quite funny, however, i could write about it too well, there was loads to write and i was running out of time and panicing

ReputationRep:
    lol. I didn't really go into that much detail either. Well, at all. I wrote like two lines quite literally! I originally put down Alton Towers, but then didn't really know where it was located (shame). So I crossed out Alton, and put "Oxford"!! So my theme park was, "Oxford Towers!" I just said it was situated on so many hecatres of land, and that it had a new ride that all the pupils, including me, were looking forward to, and that it had one of the best safety records in the UK. That's all I said about the park itself.

Mind you I didn't do that much for it at all. What kind of stuff did you say for the second one then? Any of them for that matter. I agree with what you say about writing easier when you find things interesting, but although the second passage was ok, and funny, it wasn't 'different funny', it was just the usual 'funny' that examiners always put in, if you get me. The same old stuff!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.