Whats The Best Uni In Australia??? Watch

evilcitizen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by vivado)
You claim that "taking anything else into account" other than "where do companies recruit?" is subjective. So companies' recruitment is an objective reflection of the quality of universities? I beg to differ. For all we know, "companies" (which you do not identify) may not have perfect knowledge and may have used their own personal criteria in judging which universities are the best, i.e. they are relying on their own subjective notions and could be constrained by their locations in hiring graduates who live too far off, and all sorts of other reasons.

If 'the best' universities, according to you, are those which produce the most employable graduates, then - alas! - Oxbridge aren't the best universities for General Engineering in the UK despite their top rankings in the Guardian's table and Times' table but Umist and Loughborough because they happened to score more employability points!

Better employability doesn't mean that the university has a more rigourous course, more faculty resources, peers who are passionate about their subject and whom you can learn from, good professors and a conducive learning environment (factors which are important as well in my opinion and have to be taken into account) unfortunately.
I agree that companies' recruitment is not a subjective reflection of a university's quality.However, think about this: How likely is it that a company will recruit people from a university that produces incompetent employees? Extremely unlikely.

And how often do these magazine/newspaper rankings rank certain courses or universiites very highly that are in fact fairly poor in terms of job recruitment from the BEST companies? More often than not.

I know that the purpose of university is not simply to get a job afterwards, but I think job recruitment is a much more accurate indicator of overall university and course quality than rankings which are used to sell magazines and newspapers.

Also, those employability points are extremely misleading and I always ignore them. Why? Say that one school with a mediocre reputation gets 95 on employability. Then a high reputation school gets 75. This tells you nothing about where they are employed, how much they're paid, etc. It's extremely common for second-tier univerisities to have good employability ratings because they try to make up for the inability to get students recruited by the best companies by making their courses more vocational and establishing links with second-tier companies. It's simply a case of quantity over quality.
CNN Center
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't think Newcastle-upon-Tyne can match ANU, sorry. Also, comments from international - Singaporean, to be precise - students studying in top Aussie unis like Univ. of Melbourne and Univ. of Sydney are that Monash, in a word, sucks.
ouragon
Report 13 years ago
how do you go applying to these universities?! is it different for dentistry and medicine?!
*Sub
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CNN Center)
evilcitizen, you're right. Just look at the members of the Group of Eight. The main reason - if not the only reason - why they included Univ. of Western Australia is because they needed one from WA. It's sad.
lol, you really ARE against the group of 8 and UWA in particular arent you?! Trust me, its a top notch university and if you believe the THES tables its smack on par with KCL. Granted the group of 8 is a marketing tool (and a weak one at that... I live in WA and ive never heard such a phrase being bandied around by uwa), but that in no way indicates that its members, aside from Umelb, ANU, UNSW, are below par. IF the group of 8 did want to include a Western Australian university aside from UWA they could have easily gone for Curtin university of technology, Edith Cowan university, or even Murdoch university!!

Secondly, the peoples opinions you have received indicating that those unis "suck" are hardly indicative of a general feeling amongst internationals, I know plenty who love both the universities they are attending and the country!
rubysolstice
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ouragon)
how do you go applying to these universities?! is it different for dentistry and medicine?!
You've got to sit the UMAT: registration for this is already over for application into medicine/dentistry next yr. But if you're still interested then look up the UMAT on the ACER website. That's for studying med/dent as an undergrad. For postgrad you can sit the GAMSAT but apparently that's really hard. I think the only university in Australia that doesn't require the UMAT is James Cook University.

I'm from WA also and everyone in WA is focussed on our local unis... almost everybody I know wants to get into UWA. For people looking to go interstate, or "over east" then ANU and Uni Melb are generally the targets. Monash is ummm really crap, but most international students I know tend to like it. Dunno why.. some good marketing schemes, probably.

To apply to universities you've got to apply through the state educational centres so in WA (just google these acronyms) it's TISC, Victoria is VTAC, queensland (bond uni is really good for law, and u do it in record time) is QTAC, NSW is ... can't rmb....but i know Newcastle is supposedly the best in australia for Med. And umm the it's not worth applying anywhere else...
*Sub
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rubysolstice)
You've got to sit the UMAT: registration for this is already over for application into medicine/dentistry next yr. But if you're still interested then look up the UMAT on the ACER website. That's for studying med/dent as an undergrad. For postgrad you can sit the GAMSAT but apparently that's really hard. I think the only university in Australia that doesn't require the UMAT is James Cook University.

I'm from WA also and everyone in WA is focussed on our local unis... almost everybody I know wants to get into UWA. For people looking to go interstate, or "over east" then ANU and Uni Melb are generally the targets. Monash is ummm really crap, but most international students I know tend to like it. Dunno why.. some good marketing schemes, probably.

To apply to universities you've got to apply through the state educational centres so in WA (just google these acronyms) it's TISC, Victoria is VTAC, queensland (bond uni is really good for law, and u do it in record time) is QTAC, NSW is ... can't rmb....but i know Newcastle is supposedly the best in australia for Med. And umm the it's not worth applying anywhere else...
Yeah.. Australia is the one of the few countries I know of that local unis are the preferred option. (like me.. im doing law/commerce at UWA... but im going to LSE for the exp and its supposed rep) but anyways, for the UMAT and medicine, the exam is in mid - july (27th this year im pretty sure). Im sure every single uni that offers med requires it, even james cook, but to various levels. Some place greater emphisis on academics whilst others on the UMAT. If youre seriously interested you can sit the exam in either london or singapore (those are the only 2 overseas places I think)
sujith_1988
Report 13 years ago
Basically, all the unis in the Go8 are recognised all over the world for their quality in teaching, research and for the institutional quality as a whole. Monash has a not-so-good reputation only because it's known to be a hotbed for student activism. Academics-wise, however, Monash has a sterling record. For starters, its Science department is one of the top 40 in the world. Monash is known to be bold and unfaltering; things that would make students of any other university intimidated or uncomfortable. I'm not saying that the other unis lack character. I'm just saying that Monash is generally thought of as the uni that takes parts in protests and demonstrations the most. Though this may seem bad, think about it. This may build character and makes you see things in another perspective. However, if it's academic quality that you want, there's no question whatsoever about the standards at Monash. League tables and citations can't be wrong all the time.
finnstar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
question - when do the intakes in australian universities usually begin?

in the uk its in the september/october season.. what about aussie?
Snape
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by melbourne)
Ok do we have any people in Australia that can answer this one- whats the best university in australia, if needs be with reference to economics/business courses?

Thanks
Convict College Canberra
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Australian National University i think.
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ok do we have any people in Australia that can answer this one- whats the best university in australia, if needs be with reference to economics/business courses?

Thanks
You should know 'Melbourne' :p:
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Thanks
RMIT?

Dunnow.

UQ has Australia's oldest Journalism degree.
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Blates as)
Yeah I've heard the same. University of New South Wales, University of Queensland and University of Western Australia are the best of their respective states I think, not sure though....
University of Queensland (G8)has won the best uni in Australia for several years now.

But your G8 unis, group of 8 unis are like your Ivy League unis in US.
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by evilcitizen)
I agree with CNN Center. The Group of Eight and all those magazine/world rankings of Australian universities are totally untrue. They have nothing to do with the reality of job recruiting in Australia.
UM, depending on the field, yeah it kinda does.

If you have just any old BA, they will favour G8 uni applicants. Its a sad truth.
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by heyheyhey)
Haha, well in South Australia Uni of Adelaide is meant to be THE good/posh uni etc. and also i know this isnt really the point, but how important is it if its not near the top 3? because most of the ppl who study there are going to stay in SA anyway, so i suppose the employers would rather look at how the uni ranks within the state rather than nationally?
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA An SA uni? You have to be kidding me!
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
[QUOTE=rubysolstice]= queensland (bond uni is really good for law, and u do it in record time) =QUOTE]
Actually Bond Uni is really crap, ive got a friend who transferred out of it becuase it was that bad. Yes she was a law student.
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by finnstar)
question - when do the intakes in australian universities usually begin?

in the uk its in the september/october season.. what about aussie?
uni starts here like mid february ends in late november.
*Sub
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA An SA uni? You have to be kidding me!
Adelaide.. SA.... posh?! *choke* :p: (no off to all those SA ppl out there...)
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know eh man!
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I htink especially a lot of the Asian students have university propaganda given to them over in their countries. they get here and discover the REAL university, lol.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?