Turn on thread page Beta

WLEC English watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How did every1 find this exam? hopefully, i think it went quite well..maybe :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i think it went alright. there was quite good titles for the stories this year.

ReputationRep:
    I did alrite i think, well hopefully. I think I spent too long on the first question on the comprehension, o well. The extract was funny, daughters attacking their father, lol. Weird =S!

ReputationRep:
    can you do wjec english, but in welsh? if you know what i mean...

ReputationRep:
    well it seems a bit point less to call yourself Welsh Joint Education Committee and not do. they must do stuff like Welsh Literature. i find welsh so hard i still get confused.

ReputationRep:
    no i mean English, but in Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    For those in wales you have the option of doing either the Welsh or the English version. For those in England you dont get that choice. The exam went alright i guess. I had to stop myself during Section A you could right bucket-loads. But the extract really was weird, little girls, attacking dad, hysteric laughter etc ... ??

ReputationRep:
    you do get that choice you just need to tell the school and exam board you need a certain paper ina certain language, loads of people in my school did, chinese, welsh, japanese, (the exam board doesn't ask what papers you want to do it jsut prints and marks them) you don't even need to take an exam in the subjects you chose to do, you'll have to tell the school but anyways

ReputationRep:
    I can only assume that in WJEC's case the Welsh version was not simply a translation of the language but the questions differed also.

ReputationRep:
    coming bk 2 the actual exam...does ne1 know how many marks they award 4 handwritin??? i dnt think its many but i just wntd check cos mine wasnt all that gr8
    I found the qus ok...not easy, but not hard either The most difficult imo woz A2 on the comprehension...woy did evry1 else think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hana_banana)
    coming bk 2 the actual exam...does ne1 know how many marks they award 4 handwritin??? i dnt think its many but i just wntd check cos mine wasnt all that gr8
    I found the qus ok...not easy, but not hard either The most difficult imo woz A2 on the comprehension...woy did evry1 else think?
    my story was crap, and i missed out two of the a questions. my school description was quality, as was my questions a1 and a2. my story was short and very bad. considering i probably got an A on english lit, b on coursework, could i get an A * even though i did this exam crap? how much is this exam worth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BadlikeYaz buff)
    my story was crap, and i missed out two of the a questions. my school description was quality, as was my questions a1 and a2. my story was short and very bad. considering i probably got an A on english lit, b on coursework, could i get an A * even though i did this exam crap? how much is this exam worth?
    Of the total GCSE, this is 30% - 15% on the comprehension, and 7.5% per writing task. Written coursework is 20%, as is Speaking and Listening, and the second paper (Friday) is also 30%.

The English Lit and English are different qualifications - whatever you get on one does not affect the others. If you missed two section A questions, then you automatically dropped 7.5%, and with your story, maybe another 2%. Overall, to be honest, the grade boundaries are really high for WJEC English and English Lit, at around 90%, so an A* would seem unlikely unless you aced the coursework, S+L and the second paper. You should still be able to get an A, though, which, considering that hardly anybody gets A*s, is a very impressive grade.

Good luck on Friday!

ReputationRep:
    The exam itself was ok, but I could have done better. I was predicted an A*, but I don't think my paper was A* worthy.

ReputationRep:
    This is the kind of exam where, for me anyway, you can't really tell how well you've done. I found the questions not too bad and I wrote almost non-stop for the whole exam (can you believe this people you see sat there staring at the ceiling or peering around the room for ages?!) but Istill doubt that my answers were developed enough for an A (predicted) - although I think my coursework is at an A so hopefully I'll get at least a B.

The school description was a bit of luck for me because I did work experience in an infant school so I knew exactly what it was like.

The extract was wierd - I think I understood it but not sure coz I was reading it so fast (conscious of the time!)...I felt like I rushed the whole paper really and I didn't have time to check my answers properly at the end

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    My B1 was just terrible!!

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.