acceptable Age Difference Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mr_Pedantic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by red_roadkill)
It's difficult to say really. I think it seems a bit of shame for an 18-year-old to be with a 40+ year old (like someone I know), I mean, they're from different generations. Long term I don't think relationships like this work out.

To the original poster: 7 years is fiiiine, don't worry!

I once had a crush on someone who is (I think) 35 now and wouldn't say no, despite the age difference.
I think we both want the same thing from the relationship, we're both interested in a long, serious monogomous relationship, with the view of moving onto marriage.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
People *always* ignore my contribution on this topic, and it really annoys me... *wants an excuse to talk about her relationship!!* :p:
Mr_Pedantic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
People *always* ignore my contribution on this topic, and it really annoys me... *wants an excuse to talk about her relationship!!* :p:
We value your contribution. Please, tell us about your relationship.
Lauren Hart
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Go on, talk about it! we're all ears!
HearTheThunder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
say something really controversial - everyone will descend upon you leading an angry mob of villagers, but yeah you'll be heard :rofl:
yukinko
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by hearthethunder)
say something really controversial - everyone will descend upon you leading an angry mob of villagers, but yeah you'll be heard :rofl:
she did, she said her bf is 16 yrs older than her. pretty controversial isnt it?
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by grapefruit_girl)
she did, she said her bf is 16 yrs older than her. pretty controversial isnt it?
not by todays standards
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by grapefruit_girl)
I suppose it is quite controversial, but then, I like to be controversial. Obviously though, that's not why I'm with him!

Hmm... something controversial... well, we met on the internet originally and met up in real life about three weeks later. It was a huge risk in more ways than just the dangers of the internet - I mean we might not have liked/fancied each other, but the meeting was a huge success, and it's our first year anniversary on Sunday!

Age gap relationships can work, but it's very much a question of maturity. I'm very mature for my age to the extent where people call me a grumpy old lady! My bf and I share lots of interests, views and values, and I feel completely on a wavelength with him - age isn't an issue and I never notice the age gap.

Before things worked out so well between us, he was a firm DISbeliever in the saying that "age is just a number". I think his mind has definitely been changed now!
Spenceman_
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think it's more than relative ages of the people surely...like 46 - 56 doesn't sound bad, but from 16 to 26, say, people change far more.
Lauren Hart
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ooh ooh! Me too! Internet relationship with an older man *waves hand* lol! i met him at home with my mum though, and he was originally friends with an ex-friend, though now i think about it, not sure how many of her friends i'd really want to meet .... but this was the best i think coz he's great! We're so in tune about everything, and want the same things in life. Its great! I've never clicked with my peers like i have with him
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Spenceman_)
I think it's more than relative ages of the people surely...like 46 - 56 doesn't sound bad, but from 16 to 26, say, people change far more.
Yeah good point it's the numbers as well, £4.99 sounds good but £5.01 bit worse... it's like 24 and 29 yeah that sounds ok.. but say 10 and 15... and both have an age difference of 5
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lauren Hart)
ooh ooh! Me too! Internet relationship with an older man *waves hand* lol! i met him at home with my mum though, and he was originally friends with an ex-friend, though now i think about it, not sure how many of her friends i'd really want to meet .... but this was the best i think coz he's great! We're so in tune about everything, and want the same things in life. Its great! I've never clicked with my peers like i have with him
I know the feeling!

So your parents are ok with it? My bf and I have been very lucky indeed in that both our families are very supportive of our relationship - it would have been awful if they hadn't as we're both close to our famililes. This said, my grandparents came out of the ark and still think it's "disgusting" to live with someone before marriage, so God only knows what they thought when they got my note with my new address... :rolleyes:
Mr_H
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think it's more about age.... if both people are over, say 16 or 18, then if the feelings are there, why not the relationship? ... (i.e. if both people agree, and are mature enough to know what is entailed by that, why does it matter)
m:)ckel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Rach, you controversial person, you!
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mockel)
Rach, you controversial person, you!
As always :p:
Brown Eyed Girl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
my mum was weird....

she had a barmy when i was 16 with an 18 year old.

but my new (well been together nearly 2 years now) bf was 22 when i got with him... and she loved it....

its weird

i dnt believe people are into things if there the same age tho

every one is diferent....

and why did some one give me bad rep in this thread lmao?
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My mum's far less worried about me being with an older, mature guy than she would have been if I was with someone my age!
Plumptre
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My bf is 23 yrs older
laura789
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
depends if u fancy incorporating a walking stick in your lovemaking
*starry_eyed_*
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think when you are younger, its only seen as acceptable to go out with someone yr age. as you get older though, the limit widens
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (60)
30.3%
No - I got the required grades (115)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.62%

Watched Threads