acceptable Age Difference Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lucas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When your younger, yes they are limits merely because of development issues/legality. When your older ie say 16-18+ then everything you do is your own choice, so if they decide to be with someone MUCH older than themselves, the only ppl it effects really is them, so we shouldn't criticise.
username21537
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well i think that its all proportional to your ages. I mean if your 17 and there is a 7 year difference then she could be either 24 or 10. Thats a bit "what the duece" isnt it?

But if you were 60 and +/- 7 years then its less iffy as the difference is a smaller proportion of your ages.

But I recon that if there is true love, what does it matter?
veryjammy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm 20 and seeing this great gorgeous guy who's 35 - the age difference is no issue, we're like peas in a pod and get on so well, it'd be stupid to get hung up on age.
Wild Thing
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
four
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mr_Pedantic)
As long as both are legal in their respective country, it shouldn't matter(as long as it's for love)
Errr I'm not sure too many people are worried what the strict letter of the law says here (I think it's illegal for two 14 year olds who know their age to indulge in sexual activity with one another but I'm not going to cry out illegal about it), and you're assuming the relationship is a sexual one too.
joelava
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
there's a 9 yeah agp between me and my boyfriend and a 9 year gap between my parents. I suppose if just depends on the person and how mature they are atc. Also what the ages actrually are because a 12yr old going out with a 21yr old seems very strange compaired to a 21yr old going out with a 30yr old.
Mr_Pedantic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Errr I'm not sure too many people are worried what the strict letter of the law says here (I think it's illegal for two 14 year olds who know their age to indulge in sexual activity with one another but I'm not going to cry out illegal about it), and you're assuming the relationship is a sexual one too.
I'm not assuming a sexual relationship, I'm just saying that after the age of consent, it's safe to assume that they are mature enough, and know enough of the world that they should be careful who they get close to, and that there are lots of people eager to take advantage(not just sexually).

I'm also not saying that 2 14 year olds can't be together, but i think there is an acceptable age limit until they are above a certain age.
yukinko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
yeah, and also, in japan, where i come from, if i remember right, the legal age of consent is 13.......hmmmm
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeh i think if the guy is younger its kinda weird espec old people (lol you know what i mean) there 9yrs between my parents and it just seems weird coz my dad is younger.

when your a teen a difference more then two yrs is HUGE, and even then a 15 with a 17yr old (espec at my school where it was y10 with a LOWER SIXTH (DUDUDURRR!)) is like huge, lol, but 30 to 32 is nothing,my aunty and uncle have a 10yr gap but you cant tell at all.

it only noticeable when people are defined by their yrs , like at school (eg. eeee! that y12 is going out with a y10) but when it adults and there all working and living side by side it makes no difference
SexyKe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Whe i was 15 i went out with someone who was 18 which was a bit weird sometimes; like when he went to uni in the september i started year 10.

But my dad (42) went out with a 24 year old and although it took a while to get used to i dont have a problem with it, actually quite annoyed they broke up lol.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When I was 16 I dated a 22 year old and that didn't work out at all. He was into drinking and making sexual jokes and I was still innocent and naive
xXMessedUpXx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think a lot of it is dependent on the individuals involved

i also think that to some degree society should just butt out and let people get on with their lives without some of the prejudices that come with age-gap-realtinships
cowsgomoo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When I was 15 I went out with someone who was 19, and we actually split up shortly after he turned 20 due to age Gap. There were actually more complications then that. We were in love though at the time.

There's the 3 Rule, which is where the younger person divides their age by 3 and the older person is allowed to be that much older but not over.

Obviously, this really depends on each individual case. I saw on trisha where there was a 28 year old woman going out with a 53 year old man. This is just wrong.
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
my mate went out with a 19yr old guy and she was 14, her parents didnt care at all, they even let them go on hoilday to spain alone together!
Lauren Hart
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i wish my parents would be that nice to me! Mind you, dad would! What is it with mothers and their youngest daughters?
at least lara
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think it depends on the age of the person, to begin with. When you're younger, the age gap should be smaller.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.87%
No (515)
72.13%

Watched Threads