Galloway wants to twin Tower Hamlets with Jenin Watch

This discussion is closed.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
To anyone who agrees with his plan:

Please give me one possible benefit of it. "Raising awareness" doesn't count. You really think many people living in Tower Hamlets don't know what Palestine and Israel are?
The practice of 'twinning' results in the sharing of cultural traditions, language, food etc. It helps create empathy and understanding between the two communities that have been twinned.

Is that not a benefit?
Person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That man is playing a dangerous game. Eventually he will suffer the consequences of his maverick actions. I'm convinced voting fraud won him the election and I hope they find enough evidence to remove him from parliament.
What a ridiculous accusation!!! If you knew anything about the election in Bethnal Green and Bow, you would know that New Labour did not make one complaint. RESPECT, on the other hand, did make complaints. New Labour sent out postal vote registration forms with Oona King asking people to send them back to her. AMICUS asked people to register for a postal vote, with the forms ending up in a New Labour HQ in Newcastle! Dodgy stuff, and it is nothing to do with RESPECT.

George Galloway is a tw*t! This is an absurd idea. Imagine the racial tension which will span from this. It will cause more problems than it solves. Now if they offered to hang George Galloway from a council building Id be well in favour.
If you are going to make incredibly stupid comments, then please attaempt to explain them. How on earth would it cause racial tensions? He twinned Dundee with Nablus about 20 years ago and that seems fine.

to take such a polarised position
One side has a country, one side doesn't. One side has the best education, health and water systems, one side doesn't. One side has ample land space and resources One side contains the most overcrowded city on earth. One side has high living standards, one side has abject poverty. One side has an army, one side doesn't. It's a pretty uneven situation wouldn't you think nulab?

It seems to be deliberately confrontational. It could affect community relations between Jewish and Muslim areas of London and could cause conflict.
Not all Jews are zionists. Many will be proud to see a Palestinian flag flying. And it will only affect Tower Hamlets.

I don't see it reasonable to fly their flag and take sides on a sensitive conflict which has left so many innocent people injured or killed on both sides.
RESPECT is a political party, we need to take sides with many issues. Why do you act as if both sides are as bad as each other when one is a world power with fantastic resources and an army that kills three times more Palestinians than desperate, poor Palestinians kill Israelis?

But I would find the Palestinian flag on a London council building offensive.
But not the Israeli flag? How impartial.

I've already said that both sides need to compromise.
What have the Palestinians got left to give? 18% of the 100% they used to live in. And that 18% is studded with Jewish settlements, Jewish only roads, and checkpoints.

Please give me one possible benefit of it. "Raising awareness" doesn't count. You really think many people living in Tower Hamlets don't know what Palestine and Israel are?
It shows RESPECT's solidarity with the people of Palestine and can improve understanding between Palestinians and locals in Tower Hamlets.
Tomorrow2Day
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Because knowing what they are constitutes sufficient awareness of the Israel-Palestine problem?
If raising awareness doesn't count, then how about demonstrating awareness of the plight of the Palestinians?

If niether count, what is the point of any political protest, any political action? What was the point of Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat on that bus back in 1955? What was the point of Gandhi's non-violent protests? What was the point of the protest over the Iraq war and the protests over top-up fees if not to raise awareness and demonstrate a stance?

MPs, particularly independent MPs, are not supposed to side with the government in every conflict, they are not supposed to tow some sort of national line. They are supposed to represent the views of their constituents, to carry out the mandate on which they were elected and to act as representatives of the British people.

Twinning one town with another is a harmless act - no one suffers because of it. Likewise, there is no one better qualified to make the decision than the elected MP. Already, Galloway's proposal has us talking about the situation in Palestine and we are completely unaffected by its implementation.

It's not like there's any law against it, after all, and it's not like there aren't British towns twinned with Israeli towns.
Tonight Matthew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What happens if Galloway galloway gets kicked out at the next election? Would it be a permanant thing or what?
Person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Galloway isn't standing there in the next election.

And Dundee is still twinned with Nablus from the time he was involved in the council there.
Tomorrow2Day
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Northumbrian)
And Dundee is still twinned with Nablus from the time he was involved in the council there.
Almost as if it didn't destroy the very fabric of Dundee society.
TheVlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I disagree completely. He is, effectively, proposing to side with the Palestinians on behalf of the town's population. It doesn't really matter what the circumstances between Israel and Palestine are. Without doubt, not all of the people living in Tower Hamlets are pro-Palestinian and therefore forcing his political beliefs on them is wrong.
I was also under the impression that twining cities is supposed to be a less serious thing, rather than an excuse to make a political statement.
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TheVlad)
I disagree completely. He is, effectively, proposing to side with the Palestinians on behalf of the town's population. It doesn't really matter what the circumstances between Israel and Palestine are. Without doubt, not all of the people living in Tower Hamlets are pro-Palestinian and therefore forcing his political beliefs on them is wrong.
I was also under the impression that twining cities is supposed to be a less serious thing, rather than an excuse to make a political statement.
Yeah, this is my issue too really.

It's all well and good for twinnings to represent your constituency, but only 35% of the voters voted for him. Hardly a mandate to start making statements like this, IMO.
Tomorrow2Day
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, this is my issue too really.

It's all well and good for twinnings to represent your constituency, but only 35% of the voters voted for him. Hardly a mandate to start making statements like this, IMO.
35% of voters voted for Labour candidates and as such, indirectly for Blair. 35% of voters voted directly for George Galloway. Should Blair stop acting in accordance with his political views?
Chrism
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I fail to see the point really, but its not that important a matter to get worked up over. The fact that Galloway is a **** doesn't really have any bearing on the idea.
TheVlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tomorrow2Day)
35% of voters voted for Labour candidates and as such, indirectly for Blair. 35% of voters voted directly for George Galloway. Should Blair stop acting in accordance with his political views?
But this is a yes or no question and he is the only one proposing the idea... surely something like this, that will be a statement about the town's political views, deserves a referendum, to be passed?
Tomorrow2Day
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TheVlad)
But this is a yes or no question and he is the only one proposing the idea... surely something like this, that will be a statement about the town's political views, deserves a referendum, to be passed?
So unlike any other MP, Galloway despite being elected has to submit his decisions to local referendums? Come on - if an elected representative can't make a political statement without a referendum, what is the point of government?

I fail to see the point really, but its not that important a matter to get worked up over. The fact that Galloway is a **** doesn't really have any bearing on the idea.
Thanks Chrism. My point precisely. Reppage to you. Although your opinion isn't fact.. but that's all good.
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tomorrow2Day)
So unlike any other MP, Galloway despite being elected has to submit his decisions to local referendums? Come on - if an elected representative can't make a political statement without a referendum, what is the point of government?
No one is saying that an elected representative can never make a political statement - but that doesn't mean they should make political statements which are particularly contentious without consulting those they "represent", particularly when they only have 35% of their support.

Before you ask, the same applies to Blair. And before you say it, no I am not advocating a referendum style government ALL the time. But there are times when it may be appropriate.
TheVlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ahem
EU constitution
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
The practice of 'twinning' results in the sharing of cultural traditions, language, food etc. It helps create empathy and understanding between the two communities that have been twinned.

Is that not a benefit?
Oh yes. I used to live in Norwich. I often wonder how far the RAF bombing of our twin city of Novi Sad (1999) went towards building up empathy with the people there.
LC01
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How about we sod the palestinian flag and put the Union flag in its place since this is supposed to be BRITAIN.
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wait, will Galloway putting a Palestinian flag up annoy the BNP and their racist f*ck supporters?

Go for it.
TheVlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wait, will Galloway putting a Palestinian flag up annoy the BNP and their racist f*ck supporters?

Go for it.
Wouldn't it be more efficient to put a French flag up? And less contentious.
thebucketwoman
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by LC01)
How about we sod the palestinian flag and put the Union flag in its place since this is supposed to be BRITAIN.
Do you have no other issue than nationalism?
thebucketwoman
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Northumbrian)
One side has a country, one side doesn't. One side has the best education, health and water systems, one side doesn't. One side has ample land space and resources One side contains the most overcrowded city on earth. One side has high living standards, one side has abject poverty. One side has an army, one side doesn't. It's a pretty uneven situation wouldn't you think nulab?

That's your opinion. But Britain, and therefore Tower Hamlets, has not officially allied itself with Palestine and Galloway should not be able to make it look this way.

What I don't like about your, and Galloway's, opinion is that you don't show any tiny bit of understanding whatsoever for the other side. Until both sides learn to sympathise a bit more, there will never be peace.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (75)
27.68%
No (196)
72.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed