Turn on thread page Beta

Galloway wants to twin Tower Hamlets with Jenin watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)

But not the Israeli flag? How impartial.

Please don't quote me out of context, I've already said in a post before or after that one that I definitely would not want the Israeli flag on a UK official building.

(Original post by thebucketwoman)

But just to make clear I don't think Israel or Palestine are any worse than each other, and I'd have the same objection if a pro-Israel MP wanted to fly the Israeli flag on a council building at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Wouldn't it be more efficient to put a French flag up? And less contentious.
    Just stick a flag up with the slogan "We Love Muslims". Whatever gets them riled up the most.

ReputationRep:

What have the Palestinians got left to give? 18% of the 100% they used to live in. And that 18% is studded with Jewish settlements, Jewish only roads, and checkpoints.
    The primary compromises that I wanted to be made are actually happening.

Palestinians have currently stopped violent attacks on civilians, and Israel is preparing to withdraw from settlements.

I also want Israel to elect a better leader as Palestine has now done, and to make further withdrawals.

I also want Palestine to stop educating its children that matyrdom is great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    How about we sod the palestinian flag and put the Union flag in its place since this is supposed to be BRITAIN.
    So because it's Britain we're not allowed to fly flags from other countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    So because it's Britain we're not allowed to fly flags from other countries?
    Private persons can do whatever they want, but it's a bit odd when a town council does it, wouldn't you say?

ReputationRep:
    It shows RESPECT's solidarity with the people of Palestine and can improve understanding between Palestinians and locals in Tower Hamlets.
    RESPECT is a political party. Of course you can show your solidarity, that's completely different from hijacking a London Borough's town hall for the purpose.

ReputationRep:
    Private persons can do whatever they want, but it's a bit odd when a town council does it, wouldn't you say?
    No, I wouldn't. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The flag is a symbol of a country and its government. Having a flag of a different country on a town hall, implies that it is a town of that different country. Is Tower Hamlets part of Palestine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Do you have no other issue than nationalism?
    I dont want alien flags flying in our country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    I dont want alien flags flying in our country.
    If you're talking about flags on official buildings then strangely enough, I agree! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    The flag is a symbol of a country and its government. Having a flag of a different country on a town hall, implies that it is a town of that different country. Is Tower Hamlets part of Palestine?
    Anyone who is stupid enough to imagine they're in Palestine whilst wandering the steets of London deserves to be confused. It's a flag - that's all.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who is stupid enough to imagine they're in Palestine whilst wandering the steets of London deserves to be confused. It's a flag - that's all.
    Belive it or not a flag means a lot to some people.

ReputationRep:
    But a town hall is a branch of Britain's government. I know its just a flag but I'm not sure it is even technically legal for a public building to fly a foreign flag. It is certainly against diplomatic protocol.

ReputationRep:
    I would. The cost of erecting a flag on a public building is met by the taxpayer isn't it? Surely then, it shouldn't be for a council to arbitrarily select a national flag that suits the whim of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Belive it or not a flag means a lot to some people.
    Well then it should be used as a symbol of friendship between countries.

But a town hall is a branch of Britain's government. I know its just a flag but I'm not sure it is even technically legal for a public building to fly a foreign flag. It is certainly against diplomatic protocol.
    Ok, but really seems like a silly rule. If Galloway does something illegal I am sure he'll face the consequences.

(Original post by Howard)
    I would. The cost of erecting a flag on a public building is met by the taxpayer isn't it? Surely then, it shouldn't be for a council to arbitrarily select a national flag that suits the whim of the day.
    A small price to pay to improve international relations. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, but really seems like a silly rule. If Galloway does something illegal I am sure he'll face the consequences.
    No, I doubt it is actually against the law... I think it is just the sort of thing that "isn't done".

ReputationRep:
    Is it the town council's prerogative to set and carry out foreign policy?

ReputationRep:
    A small price to pay to improve international relations. :p:
    a) Was the taxpayer asked if he wanted his local council to act on his behalf to improve international relations? Improving international relations is the role of the elected government of the day whereas the role of a local council is to worry about municipal drains.

b) How are international relations with Israel improved?

ReputationRep:
    So what? If Galloway wants to twin Jenin with Tower Hamlets, that's his thing. In my opinion it's no different to twinning it with a town in France or Germany. It'd make foreign language exchanges more exciting anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FarnhamBoy)
    So what? If Galloway wants to twin Jenin with Tower Hamlets, that's his thing. In my opinion it's no different to twinning it with a town in France or Germany. It'd make foreign language exchanges more exciting anyway...
    Because he clearly stated that he is doing it to show his support for Palestine as opposed to Israel.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.