Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Because he clearly stated that he is doing it to show his support for Palestine as opposed to Israel.
    And I don't think he should be using taxpayer's money to erect expressions of personal political opinion on public buildings. That sounds to me to be way beyond the bounds of any jurisdiction his office grants him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    And I don't think he should be using taxpayer's money to erect expressions of personal political opinion on public buildings. That sounds to me to be way beyond the bounds of any jurisdiction his office grants him.
    respect may as well be renamed the muslim arse licking party. NO to alien flags, UNION FLAGS for British councils(as well as england/scotland/wales/N ireland flags for the respected countries)

ReputationRep:
    It's all well and good for twinnings to represent your constituency, but only 35% of the voters voted for him. Hardly a mandate to start making statements like this, IMO.
    We'll control the council next year :smile:

But there are times when it may be appropriate.
    A referendum for a twinning? Gosh.

How about we sod the palestinian flag and put the Union flag in its place since this is supposed to be BRITAIN.
    Twin Tower Hamlets with Britain? Nice!

What I don't like about your, and Galloway's, opinion is that you don't show any tiny bit of understanding whatsoever for the other side. Until both sides learn to sympathise a bit more, there will never be peace.
    I do understand. I understand that the Jews were persecuted through hsitory. I understand why Zionism came about, I understand why they invaded etc. But 50 years later they have almost everything while the Palestinians have almost nothing and yet they still want more and more and more.

Please don't quote me out of context, I've already said in a post before or after that one that I definitely would not want the Israeli flag on a UK official building.
    I apologise.

Palestinians have currently stopped violent attacks on civilians, and Israel is preparing to withdraw from settlements.
    It is preparing to withdraw from settlements which contain a TINY percentage of the overall settler numbers. Illegal settlements in the West Bank are getting bigger all the time.

I also want Palestine to stop educating its children that matyrdom is great.
    If they weren't denied an education, maybe they would have a reaoson to.

RESPECT is a political party. Of course you can show your solidarity, that's completely different from hijacking a London Borough's town hall for the purpose.
    Would it be ok to do it when we take the council next year?

The flag is a symbol of a country and its government. Having a flag of a different country on a town hall, implies that it is a town of that different country. Is Tower Hamlets part of Palestine?
    This is a British based website. So take off your foreign flag right this minute.

I dont want alien flags flying in our country.
    Nanoo nanoo

I know its just a flag but I'm not sure it is even technically legal for a public building to fly a foreign flag. It is certainly against diplomatic protocol.
    My school is a state school. It has flown the British, French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Gambian, Northumbrian, Quebec, and European flag (and the jolly roger, but that was a mistake) while I have been there.

respect may as well be renamed the muslim arse licking party.
    We support Christian Palestinians just as much as muslim ones. You are an irrational idiot. Your nationalism is full of contradictions.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think GG is a shining beacon in political practice! ok, i do not approve of this latest venture - its just being publicly provocative, which is never a good idea when Israel/Palestine is concerned.
    I do, however think the way he has slated blair consistently and deservedly so since his election is a credit to the way politics should be - people fighting for fairness, freedom and their beliefs.
    Also, going before american congress as a pre-judged guilty man and making them hang their heads like school boys who've just had their wrists slapped was an extraordinary feat...if he became a lawyer he would make a limitless amount of money...he might even be able to get michael jackson off by convincing the Jury they are morally bankrupt to consider sentencing him!
    (yes, that is a conservative affiliation, no it doesn't bother me he's ex labour, its the passion that counts!)

ReputationRep:
    no it doesn't bother me he's ex labour, its the passion that counts!)
    :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John82)
    That man is playing a dangerous game. Eventually he will suffer the consequences of his maverick actions. I'm convinced voting fraud won him the election and I hope they find enough evidence to remove him from parliament.
    Convinced?!

How?!

Oh yes. I used to live in Norwich. I often wonder how far the RAF bombing of our twin city of Novi Sad (1999) went towards building up empathy with the people there.
    Milosevic and NATO is another matter!

Was Norwich twinned with Novi Sad before or after NATO's bombing?

Norwich is also twinned with El Viejo (Nicaragua) Koblenz (Germany) - oh dear, another former enemy! and Rouen (France) famous for St. Joan of Arc.

Why so many twinnings? One, maybe two - but four! That's just greedy.

ReputationRep:
    I love Rouen!

But couldn't he twin it with somewhere nice like Praghue?
    would have sort somewhere would have bagged them already.

Besidesm i think some of the muppets int his thread who have screamed protest without thinking should rmemeber the whole IDEA of twinning is to promote relations across distances. Afterall, theres a reason most places are twinned with German or french areas...

(Original post by kingslaw)
    Convinced?!

How?!
    [rolls eyes]
    He's telepathic you know.

ReputationRep:
    What would happen if an MP decided to twine a town with an Israeli city, with the purpose of promoting the Israeli cause in the fight against Palestinian terrorism. I don't see a star of david flying above a town hall going down terribly well with the people who are defending Galloway here.

ReputationRep:
    What would happen if an MP decided to twine a town with an Israeli city, with the purpose of promoting the Israeli cause in the fight against Palestinian terrorism. I don't see a star of david flying above a town hall going down terribly well with the people who are defending Galloway here.
    Exactly.

Wow, Imagine Tower Hamlets flying the Palestinian flag, and Newham with the Israeli flag. Might need a 'security fence'!! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Exactly.

Wow, Imagine Tower Hamlets flying the Palestinian flag, and Newham with the Israeli flag. Might need a 'security fence'!! lol
    It wouldn't actually happen though, Ken Livingstone would never let something as obviously racist and insulting as the Israeli flag to fly anywhere in London.
    Do you know if him and Galloway are mates?

ReputationRep:
    Well they have exactly the same politics (anti-war, anti-Israel, ex-Labour...)

Only difference is Ken is back in Labour, so theyre probably friends but they have to keep it on the quiet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Milosevic and NATO is another matter!

Was Norwich twinned with Novi Sad before or after NATO's bombing?
    Yes it was. Before, during, and after.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it was. Before, during, and after.
    I think his question was in the perfect rather than the imperfect tense.

ReputationRep:
    I think his question was in the perfect rather than the imperfect tense.
    I think it was a perfect twinning before but less so after we started bombing them

ReputationRep:
    I think it was a perfect twinning before but less so after we started bombing them
    hehe

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Foolfarian. Relations should be built up between Britain and Israeli and Palestinian communities.

true, but so long as it wasn't a controversal israeli town (like one of the settlements, or more recently taken) then im sure no sensible people would kick up a fuss.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.