Turn on thread page Beta

Are Light Waves Made Out Of Atoms? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    well..

No.

ReputationRep:
    No waves are made of atoms, however some use them as a transport medium. Sound for example. Sound is transferred by vibrating molecules and otehr such particles in the air/floor etc. As sound needs aprticles to move, it cant be heard in space. Light, does not however need aprticles in any way, so it can travel through space.

Sorry if that was off topic, but I love explaining science.

ReputationRep:
    no
    light is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, therefore it is a em wave.
    u know, the one that includes x rays, uv light, micro waves etc etc
    it is energy, not atoms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC To Tha Zee)
    well..
    there are little things called photons, which are the particle constituents of light

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    there are little things called photons, which are the particle constituents of light

Please elaborate, what exactly are photons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worm's_backbone)
    I always thought it was waves within the EM spectrum that made matter

ReputationRep:
    packets of light
    light can b thought of as particles or waves as it has properties of both

ReputationRep:
    How long is a piece of string?

ReputationRep:
    Photons are quanta. Quanta is defined as being 'packets of energy.' The amount of energy depends upon the frequency of the photon [E=HF].

I would go into more depth, but i don't want information overload, especially if you are doing GCSE - 'cus its better to learn at AS level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0nnie)
    packets of light
    light can b thought of as particles or waves as it has properties of both
    Like the comparisons between Alpha, beta and gamma with the first two being subatomic particles (?) and the latter being a wave I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    Like the comparisons between Alpha, beta and gamma with the first two being subatomic particles (?) and the latter being a wave I think
    Blamps, there have been considerable changes to the party. See my signature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee)
    Blamps, there have been considerable changes to the party. See my signature.
    What has happened.why did 2276 leave?

ReputationRep:
    What has happened.why did 2276 leave?
    He joined the Mr White Fanatical Society - he was lured with the offer of rep. I caught him dealing with the enemy.

We are alone now Blamps. Resist the MWFS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee)
    He joined the Mr White Fanatical Society - he was lured with the offer of rep. I caught him dealing with the enemy.

We are alone now Blamps. Resist the MWFS!
    Bhaal is OK...I noticed his title but did not bother to say anything...has he said anything aganist the party?

I am no physics student, but I've read about the two-slit experiment (I've seen the one with normal light, but I've read about the ones with single photons going through individually). It's all very interesting. To do with Quantum physics. Light is always made up of photons. The wave is actually a probability wave and this collapses when it is observed.

ReputationRep:
    Bhaal is OK...I noticed his title but did not bother to say anything...has he said anything aganist the party?
    No, but he and Lord Huntroyde have become very friendly. Plus his name...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    I am no physics student, but I've read about the two-slit experiment (I've seen the one with normal light, but I've read about the ones with single photons going through individually). It's all very interesting. To do with Quantum physics. Light is always made up of photons. The wave is actually a probability wave and this collapses when it is observed.
    the two slit experiment has nothing to do with photons, it proves the wave nature of light. it is the photoelectric effect that proves the particle (photon) nature of light.

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE: light is a wave of a certain frequency in the EM spectrum

At AS/A2: light is a particle that behaves like a wave, classified in 'quanta' or packets of energy, discovered by Max Planck.

Further: not sure, but in string theory, light is a series of strings that resonate at the correct frequency to affect out 3 dimensions, and operate at a quantum level (gravity on the other hand, effects all 11 dimensions)

ReputationRep:
    well surely everything is made out of atoms

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.