(Original post by rubysolstice)
Except in the instance of nuclear warfare
eh? :confused:
CNN Center
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
So in your opinion, soonalvin, UCL is not worth spending money on or going overseas for?
tanncmi
Report 13 years ago
im at oxford now 2nd year if anyone needs anything pls ask, =]. just stumbled on this thread, never saw it in a year. heh.
soonalvin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CNN Center)
So in your opinion, soonalvin, UCL is not worth spending money on or going overseas for?
I think so yes. I mean, the cost of education in the UK is about the same for every school. Unless it's the best, I think i'll stick with NUS and save the money. I am not disparaging UCL. I think it's quite good really, but not worth S$200k of hard-earned money, my parent's of course.
soonalvin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tanncmi)
im at oxford now 2nd year if anyone needs anything pls ask, =]. just stumbled on this thread, never saw it in a year. heh.
oh. what do you read at oxford?
CNN Center
Rep:
?
soonalvin, no worries, I just wanted to know what you thought about UCL; I'm not defending it.
Zinc11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Happy National Day! lol. sorry to interrupt this post but I felt I had to say it.
rubysolstice
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'll say it too... happy national day! I used to buy flags this time 8 years ago...
Infiniteen
Report 13 years ago
The parade was very specticular, with the military display and fireworks.

The fireworks seemed to be happening everywhere!

Did you guys get to watch it?
mo_jo
Report 13 years ago
i missed the fireworks.. hehe, was distracted by dinner. oh wells, there should be a encore telecast next week or something right?
rubysolstice
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What! There were fireworks?? I only remember singing along to subtitles on tv. Was the military display by the NS people?
Infiniteen
Report 13 years ago
Was the fireworks THAT obscure??? How could two people miss the fireworks??

It seemed to be coming from everywhere. The main one was just behind the padang, and there was one at a distance, I think that was the marina south celebrations... And there were also fireworks all over Singapore in the heartlands... They were all syncronised to go off together...

And yup! the military display was done by the poor people serving their liability in the various units. You have no idea how much they sacrifice man! Just read a few blogs, and you'll get an idea of the agony behind organising such a large event by an organisation who's cheapest resource is manpower...
rubysolstice
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not exactly in Singapore right now- separated by a bit of water. And I do hear people complaining about NS all the time. Thank goodness it's only for guys... by the way, did you apply to Cambridge for deferment straight after A levels?
soonalvin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not exactly in Singapore right now- separated by a bit of water. And I do hear people complaining about NS all the time. Thank goodness it's only for guys... by the way, did you apply to Cambridge for deferment straight after A levels?
I am hoping i get PSC. If not may my college hold the place for me if i get an offer. Else i'll be damn pissed if I got an offer but I couldn't go cos of NS.
CNN Center
Rep:
?
My friend had his place deferred at Cambridge for two years instead of the usual one.
soonalvin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CNN Center)
My friend had his place deferred at Cambridge for two years instead of the usual one.
Ahh that's cool. Which college? Some college like Downing firmly refuse to hold places for more than 2 years, which is very irritating considering our circumstances.
Infiniteen
Report 13 years ago
Actually I have NS to thank for my admission into Cambridge.

I would never have considered applying to Cambridge had I not been so depressed during the two years. I needed excitement, and something to give me hope, so I looked to applying to universities. Cambridge was a natural choice cos I could apply to 6 universities through UCAS, and with an extra referee letter and a bit more money, I could apply to the top university! And beyond my wildest dreams, I got in! The US universities were simply too troublesome and expensive.

I applied during my first year of NS for a defered entry. The term beginning in Oct 05, which is after I finished NS...
soonalvin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Infiniteen)
Actually I have NS to thank for my admission into Cambridge.

I would never have considered applying to Cambridge had I not been so depressed during the two years. I needed excitement, and something to give me hope, so I looked to applying to universities. Cambridge was a natural choice cos I could apply to 6 universities through UCAS, and with an extra referee letter and a bit more money, I could apply to the top university! And beyond my wildest dreams, I got in! The US universities were simply too troublesome and expensive.

I applied during my first year of NS for a defered entry. The term beginning in Oct 05, which is after I finished NS...
Good for you. Did you become stupid during NS? I mean seriously, I am damn scared that too much microwaving in that helmet will do something to my brains. Cook it or something. I am hoping that I get in and that they'll reserve a place for me. Ack. HYP isn't too expensive though very troublesome. Their financial aid rocks. Cambridge is too poor to give financial aid on that scale.
rubysolstice
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oh YAY! Thou shalt be an inspiration to us all! Everybody needs a break after Yr 12 to regenerate brain cells before trotting along to university. How did you find your interview, though? You must've done some pretty good revision/have a really good memory if you managed to impress admissions despite spending the previous year shouting yourself hoarse in malay.

Alvin- what's this about microwaving in helmets? I'm pretty sure you still get your fair share of hawker centre chai tow kueh after being conscripted
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
26.88%
No (699)
73.12%

Watched Threads