Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hei I'm interested to know which mobile phone deal is good? (especially for foreign students like us)

PAYG or month contracts?
    Which provider?
    Any website has details guide on phone plans?

Just saw this plan in other thread, seems to be a very good deal.

http://ucaspromo.o2.co.uk/home.html

ReputationRep:
    i've been using O2 PAYG and i find that it is quite a good plan because incoming calls are free, and I don't have to pay the monthly fee, and i do not usually make a lot of outgoing calls. when i do, the costs are rather reasonable. However, if you do need to make a lot of outgoing calls, my friends use the £20 monthly line, and it gives them up to 2000 minutes of free talktime, even to overseas networks. (but I think they received a number by an O2 text randomly, and after they dial the number, they get the 2000 free minutes. you've got to check with the O2 people about this though). I'm not quite sure about the £25 contract featured in the ucas advert.

about the provider, I prefer O2 because I find that the reception is better than Orange and Vodafone (at least, in the more countryside areas). Vodafone may offer contracts or PAYG rates that are cheaper, but the reception seems poorer than O2 (this might not be the case in Edinburgh though since it's a city). I find that Orange has the worst reception of all, but I'm not too sure about the rates as I tried it for only a week before switching to O2.

here are some websites you may want to visit.

www.o2.co.uk

www.vodafone.co.uk

www.orange.co.uk

Oh, and if you do choose to use the pay monthly plans for all networks, they will give you a free phone together in your package. =) so it all comes down to the amount of calls you will be making..or the amount of texts you will use.

Erm. I might be a little outdated on the details as what I've put in here was what I came across about 2 years ago. and i apologise for the lack of info about the plans for other providers.. But anyway, hope my babbling does help a little! =)

ReputationRep:
    Its supposed to be cheap as chips.

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow singaporeans! I made it to the UK!
    The Q to the immigration counters was so long!
    And the immigration officer asked me a few qns like if i have paid my fees yet (which i haven't..only paid the accom deposit) and what was i doing before coming to the UK.
    They also made me go to the health centre first before i was allowed to get out of the airport. I did my medical screening in SATA. The lady just looked at my report, verified it and let me go... so that's all for now

ReputationRep:
    What documents do you have to provide to purchase a PAYG SIM card? Can you just drop by a phone shop and just buy it like it's some public phone card?

fatfingers, what time did you arrive at Heathrow? Aside from the queue, the customs clearance was OK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatfingers)
    Hello fellow singaporeans! I made it to the UK!
    The Q to the immigration counters was so long!
    And the immigration officer asked me a few qns like if i have paid my fees yet (which i haven't..only paid the accom deposit) and what was i doing before coming to the UK.
    They also made me go to the health centre first before i was allowed to get out of the airport. I did my medical screening in SATA. The lady just looked at my report, verified it and let me go... so that's all for now
    did u actually went for any vaccination b4 leaving? my uni requires BGG vaccination within 3 months from my departual but i've taken the jab twice...now i'm confused :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I've got my visa yesterday

Just wanna know if there is any people going to Edinburgh too (other than J_e_n_n)?

ReputationRep:
    lhwjud, told you you'll be fine! Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    Hello.
    Not sure about pay as you go cos my boyfriend got it for me but i'll check and let u all know if i can get on the pc soon!
    Anyway, i arrived at 6.30am! And it was sooooooo crowded. customs was ok.. well no one checked my luggage or anything. Darn, i should have bought some bak gua! haha

As for the vaccination, it is recommended that we get the meningitis jab .. not sure abut bcg.. no one asked me abuot that...

the weather here has been bad.. so cold man..

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna miss Singapore weather!

ReputationRep:
    Hello.
    Not sure about pay as you go cos my boyfriend got it for me but i'll check and let u all know if i can get on the pc soon!
    Anyway, i arrived at 6.30am! And it was sooooooo crowded. customs was ok.. well no one checked my luggage or anything. Darn, i should have bought some bak gua! haha

As for the vaccination, it is recommended that we get the meningitis jab .. not sure abut bcg.. no one asked me abuot that...

I thought they realised the BCG doesn't work, which is why p6 students don't have to take it anymore..? You're talking about the horribly painful jab that gives people scars, right?

ReputationRep:
    the weather's cold already? but its not exactly winter yet right. so i guess the heavy winter coat goes in the hand luggage..

(Original post by CNN Center)
    I'm gonna miss Singapore weather!
    actually i think the cold would be nice, considering how humid it is over here. at least over there u can just pile on the clothing to keep warm. but here, u can't exactly strip down to practically nothing (which i really feel like doing sometimes coz the weather is just sooo darn hot). then again these few days, the weather hasn't been too bad.

btw, i finally did my med checkup at raffles medical.. which i dun really rec.. coz the wait was pretty long for me, and well, the jabs are actually more ex than other places (changi hospital, tan tock seng..). so for those who have yet to do their med checkup.. try the other places instead. i did the flu and meningitis vaccinations - one on each arm. my arms were sore for two days.. sigh, i hate injections.

ReputationRep:
    The meningitis and flu jabs cost me only $54 in total at Changi. It will cost $63 at TTSH.

ReputationRep:
    it is not so cold now hehe. the weather has been good the last few days but it is better to just bring a jkt along.. cos when the wind blows.. brrrrr

oh my meningitis and flu jab cost $63 at TTSH. I think meningitis is only about $30+

i went to the chinatown in london today.. wah got a lot of things to buy! they sell most of the sauces and stuff there.. already bought my oyster sauce hehe. anything goes with oyster sauce!

ReputationRep:
    helloo... just popping in to say hi

ReputationRep:
    So everyone has arrived in UK and forgotten the thread?

Anyway i have got through the airline with 31kg of check-in + 15kg of carry-in luggage using a normal tix with 20kg allowance. Thanks to the Qantas staff . She even told me not to do it again. OK that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    you are so lucky!
    i love the pies here! woohoo!

ReputationRep:
    Hi ppl

I've arrived in UK!

The customs did not ask for any medical report or x-tray though...I cleared the customs in less than an hour...

The food here is ok but there are lots of potatoes and the weather has been great as well

ReputationRep:
    is everyone having a good time? i am!

ReputationRep:
    wha... I'm leaving in a weeks time

Cant believe it man!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.