Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Helenia)
    Personally I don't give a crap whether I get mainly examined or tested by coursework - I always hated coursework at school but exams are hardly a barrel of laughs either, whichever sex you are. So far I've only met one man who is sexist - one of the older anatomy demonstrators who is infamous for his belief that women shouldn't be doctors. But his presence hasn't put me off; all it does is make sure all the girls actually do read their dissection notes the night before he's due to be working on our table, so you could say it has a positive effect (NB the boys are all scared of being pounced on by him, so they are also in a rather awkward situation!)

All my supervisors are male (except my occasional Sociology and Epidemiology ones), and I share supervisions with guys. It's fine by me. The one thing I do agree with hildabeast and the others about is that women are underrepresented at the higher levels of the university teaching. Sadly the two female lecturers we have had this term have been among the worst, which doesn't do the image of female academics any good. Our clinical DoS is a woman though, and although we obviously haven't had very much contact with her, she's pretty formidable by all accounts!

Personally, however, as an undergrad, I'd like to think that if I do well in my exams (or if I don't) it's down to my brains or lack thereof, and the amount of work I do, not whether or not "the system" is biased against me.
    Dr Welch? Whitaker?
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypnos)
    coursework is such *******s!!!!!!!!! In coursework if you work hard enough and pester enough people you get full marks easy peasy, which is why hard-working girls do well at the expense of boys! Coursework does not test ability, but your ability to get projects done to certain criteria.

Exams on the other hand, test actually performance. Now since girls apparently work steadily during the year anyway, they should do well in exams as well! I can appreciate that exams can be somewhat confrontational etc and anti girl like, which is fair and maybe needs to be changed a little ,
    Thats crap. Exams are about jumping through hoops, and test your ability to write fast as much as anything else. You could be a genius but if you only manage to get down half of what you want to say you're screwed. Coursework however eliminates this problem. One actually has time to think, which isnt the case in an exam. You cant do well if you arent able to work fast, and speed has no relation to ability whatsoever. The argument about girls pestering power ensuring they do better is as stupid now as it was the first time I heard it. I would imagine the reason girls do better than boys at GCSE and A-level is because girls are likely to mature faster, but to be honest the only solution to that would be to get the boys to do their exams later which is obviously a daft idea.
    The best way is of course for there to be a fairly even mixture of both, which there isnt even at GCSE and A-level, those still tend to be weighted towards exams unless you do Art or something.

ReputationRep:
    did clare college cambridge yesterday for engineering. was tough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Dr Welch? Whitaker?
    J
    You mean the one who thinks women shouldn't be doctors? Nah - Bridger :eek:

Whitaker loves me, man!

Oooh, interview week is well underway - good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    i just had my economics interview at clare college. it was horrible. i think i will be rejected directly!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinxinlu)
    i just had my economics interview at clare college. it was horrible. i think i will be rejected directly!!!
    Awww

Don't worry, loads of people feel like that about interviews. Best not to write it off just yet - you never know what decisions the tutors might make, and it might have seemed hard becasue they were pushing you.

Either way I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    im so scared........my interview is tomoro!!!!

ReputationRep:
    where did my post go????/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    where did my post go????/
    oh its here sorry....my computers playing tricks!!!! either that or im so nervous my eyes are!!!

ReputationRep:
    I had my Nat Sci interview at Trinity, Cambridge yesterday.

I don't know how it went - so hard to judge and the competition so fierce.

However, the test wasn't too bad - I could answer the questions where I'd actually done that topic in school, and all the interview was was correcting my mistakes and doing some questions I hadn't had time for.

SO DON'T STRESS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    oh its here sorry....my computers playing tricks!!!! either that or im so nervous my eyes are!!!
    Hehe, that's not such a great state to be in. Calm....deep breathing....panicking isn't going to get you anywhere. Concentrate on preparing yourself rather than worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Hehe, that's not such a great state to be in. Calm....deep breathing....panicking isn't going to get you anywhere. Concentrate on preparing yourself rather than worrying.
    thanx any other tips???

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the interviewers will try to put you at your ease. Mine started by asking me about my school - very easy questions.

ReputationRep:
    thanx for all the advice people! its really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Most interviewers will know that you're deadly nervous about the whole thing and should take it into account. Try to stay calm and be natural, it's nerve-wracking but it's got to be done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    see for yourself
    http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk
    its quite elitist public school afaik
    OI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikesgt2: don't listen to these fools!

Actually, i have to agree with them, ChCh is a bit snobbish, but not in our half of the playing field (ie maths/scientists). a lot of people here seem to have come from public school backgrounds, but they tend to do essay-y crap like english or history etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    OI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikesgt2: don't listen to these fools!

Actually, i have to agree with them, ChCh is a bit snobbish, but not in our half of the playing field (ie maths/scientists). a lot of people here seem to have come from public school backgroundfs, but they tend to do essay-y crap like english or history etc.
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    here's a better site for CharChar (? :confused: ) applicants: http://www.chchjcr.org it includes some of the welcome pack that you will get if you get a place.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Because it's one of the best universities in the world?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.