Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Stupid comment here, but is anyone else still hearing bells in their head after their interview at Oxford? I swear that I could hear the bells of Christchurch in my head as I was trying to get to sleep last night. Or am I insane? (quite likely)

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody applied for music at Cambridge? If so, how did your interview go? Which college have you applied to??

ReputationRep:
    Thats crap. Exams are about jumping through hoops, and test your ability to write fast as much as anything else. You could be a genius but if you only manage to get down half of what you want to say you're screwed. Coursework however eliminates this problem. One actually has time to think, which isnt the case in an exam. You cant do well if you arent able to work fast, and speed has no relation to ability whatsoever. The argument about girls pestering power ensuring they do better is as stupid now as it was the first time I heard it. I would imagine the reason girls do better than boys at GCSE and A-level is because girls are likely to mature faster, but to be honest the only solution to that would be to get the boys to do their exams later which is obviously a daft idea.
    The best way is of course for there to be a fairly even mixture of both, which there isnt even at GCSE and A-level, those still tend to be weighted towards exams unless you do Art or something.
    I beg to differ. I could never relax and take my time over coursework, as there were always 5 pieces on the go at once, not to mention mocks and deadlines for this that and the other...
    But in exams, I had 2 clear undistracted hours to think about what I was doing. Moreover, I was doing it entirely myself, not by the knowledge of parents or teachers. And unlike coursework, i couldnt do it again and again until i got full marks, as most ppl do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    did you find the interviwers were very sharp in replying and getting one up on you...I expected that
    Mine weren't.. Half the time they were trying to comprehend what I was saying - looks of deep thought, and then often laughter and smiles. I don't know whether this was a good or a bad thing!

We'll just have to wait and see!

PS, I'm not too confident about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Muffin)
    Stupid comment here, but is anyone else still hearing bells in their head after their interview at Oxford? I swear that I could hear the bells of Christchurch in my head as I was trying to get to sleep last night. Or am I insane? (quite likely)
    Haha yes Oxford tends to have that effect. I don't hear all the bells anymore.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    ok, I'm glad I'm not any of you, some of your interviews sound traumatic!

I had mine for Engineering at st catharines cambridge today. The first was with one guy, who I did find quite intimidating, and I should imagine he thought I was pretty stupid. When we got onto academic stuff I said I couldn't remember one of the equations, so he made me derive it! and when it got to a part where I had to do some integration, I went and differentiated instead!!!

The second was a bit better, I got all the mathematical questions right, but they didnt act as if i had. After I'd solved a problem, one of the interviewers just kept giving me strange looks and saying "are you sure? go back and check" as if i'd made a really obvious mistake, but then I went back and checked my answers, for example I had to integrate something, and I differentiated my answer to check it, and every time he said to me "yes you're right, well done." So that was a bit weird.

But I came out of the second interview confident that I'd done my best, and that's all that matters. If I don't get an offer, then my best isn't good enough, and clearly in that case a rejection is fine, as it probably means that I wouldn't be able to cope with the course anyway.

ReputationRep:
    ??

ReputationRep:
    WELL.....

my human geog interview was AWFUL yes i cried after, i was on some ungodly early time monday morning, the interviews did everything possible to put me off and get me on the wrong track! one of them was jus nodding the whole time even tho i knew i was goin off on the wrong track! the WHOLE interview was on a topic i hadn't covered yet at skool!!!!!!!! AHHH! and then... whilst i was mid flow the two interviers looked at each other and smirked!!! and then gave me worried looks! it was AWFUL the worst time opf my life, they made me get really confised and go bk on my points n stuf and the PUSHED and PUSHED and PUSHED and PUSHED etc until i couldnt think of nething else - i felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STUPID! i ballsed everything up! then at the end they wer jus like thats the end of ur interview bye! and they were sitting so far apart that you could only look at one at a time grr! o yeh and no nice questions at the begining to settle your nerves - just BOOM straight in, and the article was an economics one - great if you do economics, not much help if you don't! They asked me NOTHING about extra reading n stuf and there was absoltly NO scope for me to direct the interview onto a different subject that I had actually studied or kno something about! they had really specific questions and wanted specific bullet point answers.

The physical geog one went LOADS better tho, i really enjoyed it, one of the interviews jus sat there looking bored at me tho! but the other one was getting really into it and all entuhasiastic and we went on for ages - i was in there for about 35 mins in a 20min interview lol, it was V.challenging and they pushed like hell, but unlike the human one i could cope with it and could answer all their questions (i think i did neway!!!). The article - "who threw the snowball" was challenging but i understood it phew!!! Altough one of the interviews was really nice and we chatted for ages, the other (bored looking one) couldnt get me out of the room at the end fast enough it seems! :s

2 ne oxford ppl, i'm really not confident at all about getin in at all esp afta the way the human ppl treated me n i would think that you would need two good interviews to get in?? I was like 2 compelety diff ppl lol!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I don't think you can really say what questions you'll get asked, because I had my interview today (engineering, st catharines), and I had quite a big say in what they asked me. They asked me what i was studying at school at the moment, then asked me what i enjoyed most about it and why, they then asked me questions on that sort of thing. the questions seemed very much made up on the spot, for example i couldnt remember one of the formulae i needed for something, so instead I was given some other information and asked to derive the formula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by figgetyfig)
    ok, I'm glad I'm not any of you, some of your interviews sound traumatic!

I had mine for Engineering at st catharines cambridge today. The first was with one guy, who I did find quite intimidating, and I should imagine he thought I was pretty stupid. When we got onto academic stuff I said I couldn't remember one of the equations, so he made me derive it! and when it got to a part where I had to do some integration, I went and differentiated instead!!!

The second was a bit better, I got all the mathematical questions right, but they didnt act as if i had. After I'd solved a problem, one of the interviewers just kept giving me strange looks and saying "are you sure? go back and check" as if i'd made a really obvious mistake, but then I went back and checked my answers, for example I had to integrate something, and I differentiated my answer to check it, and every time he said to me "yes you're right, well done." So that was a bit weird.

But I came out of the second interview confident that I'd done my best, and that's all that matters. If I don't get an offer, then my best isn't good enough, and clearly in that case a rejection is fine, as it probably means that I wouldn't be able to cope with the course anyway.
    i like your approach and although i havent yet had the luxury ( :-s) of my interview yet, you might just have a winning philosophy, you know inside that being good at maths doesnt really cut the mustard, nobody cares if you are good at maths, so are they, what they are impressed by is that you can apply maths to recreate or solve!!

unlike whatever idiot spoke before you, you may well find you are a winner,

regards, Simon

ReputationRep:
    im quite psyched up for my interview... revised my philosophy books (popper and kuhn) and the whole of AS/A2 physics, as well as P3 maths. all i need to do now is revise S2 and i will be raring to go

ReputationRep:
    lucky!! we def had no choice coz most ppl got asked exaclty the same Q's! they wernt interested at all in what areas you like etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    im quite psyched up for my interview... revised my philosophy books (popper and kuhn) and the whole of AS/A2 physics, as well as P3 maths. all i need to do now is revise S2 and i will be raring to go
    Its good that you have the time to do all that - I think its definitely an advantage. Last year my interviews coincided with loads of coursework deadlines so I had no time to do any prep

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    WELL.....

my human geog interview was AWFUL yes i cried after, i was on some ungodly early time monday morning, the interviews did everything possible to put me off and get me on the wrong track! one of them was jus nodding the whole time even tho i knew i was goin off on the wrong track! the WHOLE interview was on a topic i hadn't covered yet at skool!!!!!!!! AHHH! and then... whilst i was mid flow the two interviers looked at each other and smirked!!! and then gave me worried looks! it was AWFUL the worst time opf my life, they made me get really confised and go bk on my points n stuf and the PUSHED and PUSHED and PUSHED and PUSHED etc until i couldnt think of nething else - i felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STUPID! i ballsed everything up! then at the end they wer jus like thats the end of ur interview bye! and they were sitting so far apart that you could only look at one at a time grr! o yeh and no nice questions at the begining to settle your nerves - just BOOM straight in, and the article was an economics one - great if you do economics, not much help if you don't! They asked me NOTHING about extra reading n stuf and there was absoltly NO scope for me to direct the interview onto a different subject that I had actually studied or kno something about! they had really specific questions and wanted specific bullet point answers.

The physical geog one went LOADS better tho, i really enjoyed it, one of the interviews jus sat there looking bored at me tho! but the other one was getting really into it and all entuhasiastic and we went on for ages - i was in there for about 35 mins in a 20min interview lol, it was V.challenging and they pushed like hell, but unlike the human one i could cope with it and could answer all their questions (i think i did neway!!!). The article - "who threw the snowball" was challenging but i understood it phew!!! Altough one of the interviews was really nice and we chatted for ages, the other (bored looking one) couldnt get me out of the room at the end fast enough it seems! :s

2 ne oxford ppl, i'm really not confident at all about getin in at all esp afta the way the human ppl treated me n i would think that you would need two good interviews to get in?? I was like 2 compelety diff ppl lol!
    well erm. your spelling wont help you.

ReputationRep:
    In my second interview (one where i think i performed almost as well as i could, but with some notable errors) there were 2 people. One was a theology lecturer and one a philosophy lecturer, the philosopher lecturer was ntoing down EVERYTHING I said in the 20 minutes and she ended up with like 2 sides of information, it was very strange

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunnywabbit)
    well erm. your spelling wont help you.

well as if i can be bothered to check my spelling on this - if you knew how tired i was!!! neway theres way better unis for geogo neway so im not too bothered i guess now, i'd rather be somewhere where the people teaching me actually want to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Its good that you have the time to do all that - I think its definitely an advantage. Last year my interviews coincided with loads of coursework deadlines so I had no time to do any prep

me too... i went into the PPE interviews last year pretty much completely unprepared. considering i came out as one of their middle ranked candidates (so their rejection letter said) i think thats pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Poor wittle kiddies.

I really enjoyed my interviews, in a perverse way. The academic law one was a bit tricky and I found myself being told that Denning actually rarely dissented, contrary to what I said so I felt a little dim. But on one question that was based on an actual case, I managed to arrive at the same outcome as the judges. Plus we had a chat about modern art and spam...

The law people were mostly wearing suits, so I felt very under-dressed but also extremely comfortable. They put me at my ease and made sure I stayed on track, whilst keeping their questions quite open. I didn't feel attacked or intimidated.

Only bad thing was the bloody exam. Urgh. Hated it. Plus I forgot to say some important things in reply to the "Why St.John's?" and "Why Cambridge?" questions. Aaaargh.

Overall, I am happy with my performance and feel I did my best. If there are people who did better than me, then they deserve to get in over me. At least I won't be forever wondering if I was rejected on some silly technical thing like asking stupid questions they had already answered.

Perhaps the worst aspect of going there for the interviews is seeing the college for perhaps the last time ever.

Anyway, I wish everyone who has interviews or who has already had them by best wishes. I would offer luck but don't think that comes into it much!

a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    In my second interview (one where i think i performed almost as well as i could, but with some notable errors) there were 2 people. One was a theology lecturer and one a philosophy lecturer, the philosopher lecturer was ntoing down EVERYTHING I said in the 20 minutes and she ended up with like 2 sides of information, it was very strange
    That's what my tutor does in weekly tutorials; I wouldn't worry about it!!! Some people just like to make loads of notes, others don't. It depends o the person.

Good luck with the outcome; which Cam college did you apply to???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    wow youre famous if they keep hold of those notes, you may be able to demand them back under the data protection act
    http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=17104
    might be an interesting read!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.