The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mussed
So I heard. I'm pretty political, but so's my family and so the apolitical thing was an attraction (I did lots and lots of Politics and History until this year).

Oh - am I supposed to know if other colleges are going to interview me?

No, not necessarily. In fact I didn't find out that I was going to get more interviews until i was about to leave!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 321
:smile: Good, I'm glad; I thought everywhere else had rejected me out of hand! :eek: I'm torn between looking forward to discussing what I've read and some problems with people who know what they're talking about and being nervous I'll forget how to do maths at all. Thank you. This forum has actually done me a lot of good. I keep on being told that everyone else is in the same boat, and I've just been more or less convinced that that is actually true!
mussed
:smile: Good, I'm glad; I thought everywhere else had rejected me out of hand! :eek: I'm torn between looking forward to discussing what I've read and some problems with people who know what they're talking about and being nervous I'll forget how to do maths at all. Thank you. This forum has actually done me a lot of good. I keep on being told that everyone else is in the same boat, and I've just been more or less convinced that that is actually true!

Oh it is, don't worry. The problem with this forum is that people let university and Oxbridge applications in particular dominate their lives. Yes the interviews are scary but make sure you don't get so caught up in it that you forget about the rest of your life. If you get in, congratulations. if you don't, you don't, and they miss out on the opportunity to have you. At the end of the day you must have a good academic record to even be applying to Oxford so I'm sure you'll get a brilliant uni place no matter what the outcome of your interviews.

Good Luck :smile:

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 323
:smile: Thanks - I only started worrying this week, and it's more because it's a great unknown!
mussed
:smile: Thanks - I only started worrying this week, and it's more because it's a great unknown!

To be honest its not worth worrying about. Oxbridge entry is one of those things that lots of people aspire too and a few people are lucky to get it. No-one will think any less of you if you don't get in.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
hildabeast
To be honest its not worth worrying about. Oxbridge entry is one of those things that lots of people aspire too and a few people are lucky to get it. No-one will think any less of you if you don't get in.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

No-one will think any less of you if you don't get in, but they'll think more of you if you do.
Surfing Hamster
No-one will think any less of you if you don't get in, but they'll think more of you if you do.

No, people don't think more of you. Some people are impressed, some think you're completely insane for wanting to go, but the people who really matter will never think of you differently.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
hildabeast
No, people don't think more of you. Some people are impressed, some think you're completely insane for wanting to go, but the people who really matter will never think of you differently.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

In my opinion, some people will think more of you if you've got a degree from Oxbridge. To be honest, why shouldn't they? Because if you've got a degree from there, you've obviously worked exceptionally hard throughout your life and are very academically abled.

I'm not saying that degrees from other Universities aren't just as valuable, I'm just saying that, in my opinion, an Oxbridge degree is one of the best in the world, and you'll be recognised for that.
Reply 328
Surfing Hamster
In my opinion, some people will think more of you if you've got a degree from Oxbridge. To be honest, why shouldn't they? Because if you've got a degree from there, you've obviously worked exceptionally hard throughout your life and are very academically abled.

I'm not saying that degrees from other Universities aren't just as valuable, I'm just saying that, in my opinion, an Oxbridge degree is one of the best in the world, and you'll be recognised for that.

that is like the argument between the University of New England, and say Harvard. Of course people from Harvard are going to get first preference.
Reply 329
Evil Muffin
Stupid comment here, but is anyone else still hearing bells in their head after their interview at Oxford? I swear that I could hear the bells of Christchurch in my head as I was trying to get to sleep last night. Or am I insane? (quite likely)

you tend to get very fond of the Old Tom at Christ Church. especially when it rings 105 TIMES EVERY NIGHT!!!!!!!!! *head hurts* but you do miss it when you leave. did you apply to christchurch then?
Reply 330
edders
:smile: if i get into oxford the drinks are on me :wink:

I've taken a note of this....
I don't know how my interview went either. It was solely on questions on the paper I did just before the interview and I didn't get to discuss anything at all!

And I spent all that time swatting up from New Scientist!
Reply 332
Can any one tell me how do i get a signiture. i cant do it!!!
Reply 333
Sammy
Can any one tell me how do i get a signiture. i cant do it!!!

user cp -> signature
Reply 334
elpaw
user cp -> signature

PARDON????
Reply 335
Sammy
PARDON????

click on user cp then click on signature
Reply 336
elpaw
click on user cp then click on signature

I DID THAT BUT I CANT PASTE MY PICTURES IM NOT THICK YOU KNOW!!
Reply 337
Sammy
I DID THAT BUT I CANT PASTE MY PICTURES IM NOT THICK YOU KNOW!!

hey, i answered your question, so don't get mad at me.
Reply 338
Asphyxiating
Apparently one guy who walked into an interview at Cambridge found an orange hurdling at him when he walked through the door! Apparently it was just to see how it would react.. strange way of analysing his train of thought though! I would probably let it knock me out :tongue:

A lot of that is urban legend. The orange incident, I believe you'll find, is replicated in one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books - Men at Arms, I think. It is true about the rugby ball one though. :biggrin:
Helenia
A lot of that is urban legend. The orange incident, I believe you'll find, is replicated in one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books - Men at Arms, I think. It is true about the rugby ball one though. :biggrin:

Really?! When did they stop using that one then?

Latest

Trending

Trending