Turn on thread page Beta

oxbridge: interviews/general chit-chat watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Long shot, but do you know Megan Purcell-Jones, by any chance??
    Just seen this. I know Megan Purcell-Jones, and her sister Jessica. And if julia r is who I think she is, she knows her too. We went to the same school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Really?! When did they stop using that one then?
    I don't know, but at the Matric dinner I was talking to some very old retired Fellow, and we were discussing our interviews and the stories we heard beforehand - I mentioned the rugby ball one, and he said "Oh yes, that one's true - I know the man that used to do it!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I don't know, but at the Matric dinner I was talking to some very old retired Fellow, and we were discussing our interviews and the stories we heard beforehand - I mentioned the rugby ball one, and he said "Oh yes, that one's true - I know the man that used to do it!"
    Ah, the NatSci and the Medic! Greetings, ladies! I just came back from my interviews at St. John's for history. The interviews were friendly and informal, as they said in the prospectus. I had neither an orange nor a ball thrown at me, I shook hands with all the interviewers and they didn't throw my essay on the floor in a fit of rage. So please stop talking about these dodgy interviews, I'm sure they used to do these things, but that's not the way it works these days. Not at St. John's, anyway. Don't know what the lesser colleges are up to...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    So please stop talking about these dodgy interviews, I'm sure they used to do these things, but that's not the way it works these days. Not at St. John's, anyway. Don't know what the lesser colleges are up to...
    Well, as John's is the sports college, I think it's quite likely that the rugby thing took place there

I know it's not the way it works these days - I go there, remember! I got through the interview process as well

ReputationRep:
    I'm just back from my Classics interview at Oxford, had interviews at Merton and Christ Church. It was all good fun apart from the translation tests, though it was a little annoying having to stay three nights. The interviewers were all friendly, although the one where there were three of them was a little stressful. I met many interesting fellow interviewees as well. Definitely an enjoyable and worthwhile experience even if I don't get in. Good food too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I'm just back from my Classics interview at Oxford, had interviews at Merton and Christ Church. It was all good fun apart from the translation tests, though it was a little annoying having to stay three nights. The interviewers were all friendly, although the one where there were three of them was a little stressful. I met many interesting fellow interviewees as well. Definitely an enjoyable and worthwhile experience even if I don't get in. Good food too.
    Please explain all these interviews for university. I had been studying for 6 months before I even visited my univerisity. Why all the interviews???

ReputationRep:
    To supposedly select the best candidates to get in. I say supposedly because mistakes do happen.

ReputationRep:
    To supposedly select the best candidates to get in. I say supposedly because mistakes do happen.
    hehe, fair point. Do you have any system of 'distance education'... 'external study'... 'correspondence' invovled with universities over there? If so, do they also require an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammy)
    I DID THAT BUT I CANT PASTE MY PICTURES IM NOT THICK YOU KNOW!!
    If you want to add an image to your sig, you have to click on the insert image button on the toolbar and enter the URL for the image.
    While your at it go to the avatar section and find your own avatar or do a search on google for one. The one you are using now is a copyrighted image, so I would appreciate your removing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    Ah, the NatSci and the Medic! Greetings, ladies! I just came back from my interviews at St. John's for history. The interviews were friendly and informal, as they said in the prospectus. I had neither an orange nor a ball thrown at me, I shook hands with all the interviewers and they didn't throw my essay on the floor in a fit of rage. So please stop talking about these dodgy interviews, I'm sure they used to do these things, but that's not the way it works these days. Not at St. John's, anyway. Don't know what the lesser colleges are up to...
    I know someone whose tutor ripped up her essay in a fit of rage during a tute lol!!!!! Wouldn't happen in an interview though.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunnywabbit)
    well erm. your spelling wont help you.
    I'm sure your poor punctuation (or lack of) WON'T help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    hehe, fair point. Do you have any system of 'distance education'... 'external study'... 'correspondence' invovled with universities over there? If so, do they also require an interview?
    Well, the Open University does that, and I don't know but I think some other unis do too. Not undergrad courses at Oxbridge though - definitely need interviews for them!

ReputationRep:
    Well, the Open University does that, and I don't know but I think some other unis do too. Not undergrad courses at Oxbridge though - definitely need interviews for them!
    I agree totally. I know interviews are expensive and time-consuming but they are absolutely essential to finding the best candidates. Other institutions (notably LSE, Bristol, Durham etc) who do not usually interview candidates have admissions policies which are shrouded in much more mystique than those of Oxford and Cambridge, and yet they seem to get much less abuse in the press.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    musicman -shut up!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this is for any economist or general cam applicants stressing over interviews out there. I applied and was interviewed at Homerton, which you have to bear in mind is a lot more laid back than some other colleges. It also has only recently started offering Economics so aren't as clued up as some of the other colleges. I went on Monday 8th and drove down with a mate. Admittedly I was cra**ing myself but I found that having company was extremely helpful. After I had registered with Homerton so they knew I had arrived, me and my friend were taken to a room with tea+coffee to chill for a while since i was really early. It was really good that my mate cud stay with me right up to when I walked in the interview room. I was instructed to sit outside this door when it came closer to my interview time. I was interviewed by two people for 4omins. One was the principal of the college (Dr Kate Pretty) and the other was the Economics professor (Dr u Pascual). Dr Pretty showed me into the room and took my coat and I walked across the room to shake Dr Pascual's hand. I sat down and we strarted chatting about the windows or something fairly lame which just settled me. The first questions were very general and just to relax me really. Dr Pretty was really lovely and she was dressed REALLY casually which also put me at ease. She showed interest in my gap year and just let me babble away really. Dr Pascual was really cool too, but I knew that he was there to ask me the difficult questions - but he went about it very well. He basically looked over the Economics based details I had in my personal statement, and asked me why I was interested in particular areas. Its a good idea to pull in information and facts that are in the media at the moment since that'll impress them. He asked me about interest rates, why economics, why homerton, why cambridge? All the regular questions really. Its also a good idea, even if they don't ask you, to talk a lot about the cambridge course and what in particualr you like about it. They want to know that this course is right for you so you need to give them valid reasons to believe that. Just be really really enthusiastic as well. I think i may have ever-done the enthusiasm but that can't be the worst thing. Dr Pretty asked questions about my hobbies, experiences and anything else mentioned in my personal statement. She also tried to ask some economic based questions as general chit-chat. With some of the ecominc questions from Dr Pascual I was silent and stunned for a short time, and he willingly prompted me a little (but don't worry about prompting - they don't consider the necessity to be a disadvantage, it just gets you towards the relevant answer) but although some of my answers were utter crap, and we both knew it - he didn't mind and we carried on. If you don't know something, tell them, but just give it a go. Say, 'well i don't know actually, but i guess....if.....' and they'll love you for trying. The two interviewers actually ended up quarelling between themselves (which can only be a good thing) about who got to ask me the next question. Dr Pascual was really keen to talk some hardcore economics whilsy Dr Pretty wanted to know the insedes and out of my gap yr and also wanted to tell me everything she knew about Peru. It was quite amusing actually and we all managed to have a giggle over it!
    It was incredibly relaxed and i really enjoyed myself in the end. Don't stress too much at all. Just be keen and confident and outgoing and you'll be fine. any disadvantages in the college that are generally thought of as not so great - make them an attraction for you in some way, and that'll really impress them. Eg. the distance homerton is from the centre (as is girton infact) - tell them thats its ideal becasue you can withdraw yourself from the crowded centre and focus.
    Its all good fun, and you'll look back and laugh! I promise.
    Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    i had an interview at cambridge the other day, to do oriental studies at sidney. i had two, the first a general interview where the admissions director of sidney asked me wide ranging questions relating to my A-level courses. they were relatively easy questions like 'did the nature of germany's defeat in WW1 impede the Weimar Republic from the start?' and stuff, although i have no doubt an interviewee at trinity or kings college wouldn't get off so lightly with the grilling. it was mildly embarassing when i let slip the word 'bolox' but he didnt appear to mind. i am a state school applicant after all, so what can you expect, really ? the second, subject specific interview was a lot more taxing, with questions that really made me squirm like 'how does the history of the arab world compare to the origins of todays western society?' . I forgot how to speak twice during damn thing! it was fairly horrible and it basically brought out the total twit in me... i guess i could have pulled my socks up a bit and prepared more. oh well... it was a challenge and quite funny in a bizarre sense. something tells me im not going to get a place... but my life's ambition doesnt rest on it so 'tis not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    musicman -shut up!!!
    It's a free forum!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    It's a free forum!!!

not completely

ReputationRep:
    Hey people.
    I am tha Turkish Waterpolo Guy interviewed for Medicine. I first want to thank all whom have helped us through our interview days whilst we were there. Who happens to be the Medics, Physicians, others from Downing. I could not get a chance to get all of your e mails, so I took this chance to both yell 'Hey' to you all and discuss my interview with anybody interested
    I am not sure if there are any interviews left but there are several things I need to say about the brand new 2004 interviews
    -Don't you get stressed, that does not ruin everything but it is not good to shake like I dont know whatever
    -Read a little on your subject, and make sure you know the recent nobel prize winner in your subject if applicable.
    -Meet people whilst you are there, we did, and we are very glad to have done it
    -Dont think about your interview after it is over. Dont you do what I am doing right now, knowing that there is nothing more you could do than just wait, god it is stressing.
    -I have heard the rumors on the oxbridge interviews being very famous, dont get caught on that, they're now testing your knowledge, they just test who you ARE. Cant change yourself into something completely different in several weeks, or days , can ya?
    -Continue this thread if possible

hi, iam just wondering if the people who applied for PPE at Oxford could tell what kind of questions do they ask you ofr the diiferent subjects, is it genreal for politics like current affairs or political ideology and what about philosphy do u need to have studied it before what kind of exam is it
    thanks

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.