Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i had ppe interview other week

i had two 20 min interviews, one for economics where there were 2 economics tutors and the other was a joint politics/philosophy with the politcs and philospohy tutor taking 10 mins each

asked about:

economics: responded to personal statement interests, what i am learning in school at moment, a q about income distribution and about curent affairs like budget deficit at moment

politics: completely dominated by modern history, russian revolution comparing to german situation (this wont happen if u dont study history at a level)

philosphy: basically testing what i knew of utillitarian v moral laws approach (very little, but it was done on a simple level)

i think i messed up, my tip is: be decisive and dont be nervous (i knew the answers but was a stuttering idiot so couldnt articulate them..oh well)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have an interview for engineering science at university college, oxford on tuesday and was wondering if there was anyone else in the same situation. It may sound slightly ridiculous, but the thing that I've been worrying about most is how to answer the simple question "Why engineering?". Everytime I try to prepare for it, I end up verging on the philosophical. Is there anybody out there who is willing to share with me their own personal take on the question?

Thanks for your help,

Ken.

ReputationRep:
    so... I had an engineering interview at cambridge... that guy asked me a very simple differentiation question, and I was too nervous and I couldn't do it... then he gave me hints and I managed to do it... he then said "so you got the right answer haven't you?"

**** I should have got that I should have got that...

ReputationRep:
    the PPE paper at Oxford was wierd! I'm not doing PPE but I has there for geogo when the ppe had it - the maths question had a winnie the pooh slant!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when cambridge send their letters out and do all the colleges do it at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caius)
    Does anyone know when cambridge send their letters out and do all the colleges do it at the same time?
    Trinity told me it would be early january.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ken274)
    Hi, I have an interview for engineering science at university college, oxford on tuesday and was wondering if there was anyone else in the same situation. It may sound slightly ridiculous, but the thing that I've been worrying about most is how to answer the simple question "Why engineering?". Everytime I try to prepare for it, I end up verging on the philosophical. Is there anybody out there who is willing to share with me their own personal take on the question?

Thanks for your help,

Ken.

Hi, i had the same problem with 'why history' and spent weeks worrying about it, and then found they didn't even ask the question (or 'why this college'). Just make sure you tell them what interests you about it and why you think it's important to you - a long term career plan would probably help for engineering too.
    Hoe that helps

ReputationRep:
    Apparently this year Cambridge aren't going to send any letters off till the 1st Jan (last year some ppl got theirs in late Dec).

ReputationRep:
    I know one of my friends was told that the Trinity Hall letters would be sent off late december (soon after christmas).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    so... I had an engineering interview at cambridge... that guy asked me a very simple differentiation question, and I was too nervous and I couldn't do it... then he gave me hints and I managed to do it... he then said "so you got the right answer haven't you?"

Don't worry at all! I got an integration question and i differentiated!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to Nero and Livlet so far. I would love to know what questions you were asked (I will likely apply for economics or PPE next year)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone having a biology interview at oxford 2moro? What the hell they gonna be asking us, AAAARRRRGGGHHHH (hopefully nothing to do with AS syllabus, i can't remember anything )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billybobandgus)
    What the hell they gonna be asking us???
    If someone knew that, they would be very rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)

Don't worry, mine was the same! I went for Natsci and he kept asking me all these questions which, in retrospect, were so easy but which I couldn't get at the time. I got to the right answers in the end but i felt so stupid cause he had to prompt me right up to the point when I actually got it right. It was all subject based too, I couldn't talk about the things I really loved, the things I could really show interest in and enthusiasm about, it was all syllabus driven. Bah! 1st interview was good though! Mind that's the one that doesn't count for much as it wasn't with the admissions tutor. I feel really irritated with myself for being so rubbish! Can't stop thinking about it either.

Anyhows, sorry to rant! Which col did you apply for? Mine was Jesus - gorgeous place, really, really lovely

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sue!)
    Apparently this year Cambridge aren't going to send any letters off till the 1st Jan (last year some ppl got theirs in late Dec).
    Yeah, when I applied (two years ago now :eek: ) they were all sent out on the same day, all arrived 28th Dec. It was a bit bad, cos I got in and was really happy, but the guy I was infatuated with at the time, who was also applying for Medicine, got rejected, so I was really sad about that on the same day! If they say Jan though, maybe it is.

ReputationRep:
    so Bored, yawn.
    Anything interesting anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yeah, when I applied (two years ago now :eek: ) they were all sent out on the same day, all arrived 28th Dec. It was a bit bad, cos I got in and was really happy, but the guy I was infatuated with at the time, who was also applying for Medicine, got rejected, so I was really sad about that on the same day! If they say Jan though, maybe it is.
    They said jan last year and some came in Dec. It won't happen this year I doubt, since the first weekday after christmas holidays is the 29th i think.

ReputationRep:
    oxford is 19-23 oct, anyone know if the usually come like the 19th or it is usually the 23rd?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    oxford is 19-23 oct, anyone know if the usually come like the 19th or it is usually the 23rd?
    last year i got the letter on christmas eve. (or was it my birthday i.e. 28th? i can't remember)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sar)
    Don't worry, mine was the same! I went for Natsci and he kept asking me all these questions which, in retrospect, were so easy but which I couldn't get at the time. I got to the right answers in the end but i felt so stupid cause he had to prompt me right up to the point when I actually got it right. It was all subject based too, I couldn't talk about the things I really loved, the things I could really show interest in and enthusiasm about, it was all syllabus driven. Bah! 1st interview was good though! Mind that's the one that doesn't count for much as it wasn't with the admissions tutor. I feel really irritated with myself for being so rubbish! Can't stop thinking about it either.
    I really hope he could take my nerves into account...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.