Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    I really hope he could take my nerves into account...
    I know this isn't entirely related, however... Roughly how long does it take for your exam results to be posted to you over there? Simply put, this year I finished all my exams on the 21st of November, and here it is the 15th December and I've still not had any word, except that I have been accepted for my double study load beginning next year. And I applied for that three days after doing my exam. Do universities over there get slack also?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I know this isn't entirely related, however... Roughly how long does it take for your exam results to be posted to you over there? Simply put, this year I finished all my exams on the 21st of November, and here it is the 15th December and I've still not had any word, except that I have been accepted for my double study load beginning next year. And I applied for that three days after doing my exam. Do universities over there get slack also?
    What exams are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    In the UK most exams (A-Levels, GCSES) are sat during May/June. Results are published mid-august

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soulfish)
    In the UK most exams (A-Levels, GCSES) are sat during May/June. Results are published mid-july.
    Don't you mean mid-August?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Don't you mean mid-August?
    I don't know about you lot, but I had my exams here in Australia back in November. Our school year is somewhat different to yours Hence my confusion, and questions.

ReputationRep:
    At least we don't have to wait as long for the rejection letters (probably for me) as we do for our exam results!

Hey, theone. How did you find the Trinity Nat Sci test. I could n't do the sin x over x graph as we haven't done limits for those things yet. Got 3 questions totally right. When were you there. We might have met and not known it. I was there 9th December for the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I don't know about you lot, but I had my exams here in Australia back in November. Our school year is somewhat different to yours Hence my confusion, and questions.
    is it because of the opposite seasons? does your sumer holiday begin in December?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how edders is doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    does anyone know how edders is doing?
    Nope, no doubt he'll post here when he gets back or he'll be on msn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    is it because of the opposite seasons? does your sumer holiday begin in December?
    Yeah. Ours does seem to be more sensible in one sense. That being the starting and finishing times of schools here is roughly early February and mid December correspondingly. Yet it was pointed out that if you lot were to take the same approach, your long holidays would occur during the middle of winter, and that isn't too desirable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Yeah. Ours does seem to be more sensible in one sense. That being the starting and finishing times of schools here is roughly early February and mid December correspondingly. Yet it was pointed out that if you lot were to take the same approach, your long holidays would occur during the middle of winter, and that isn't too desirable.
    do you go north for winter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    do you go north for winter?
    haha, if I had the choice I'd go south. Love the cold, besides I was born and raised in Katherine which is in the Northern Territory. When it got below 30degrees Celcius, people quite literally put jumpers on, and yet you could only go swimming at the low level bridge on the way to the tourist destination Katherine Gorge in winter, owing to the wet season. In summer it was under 3m of water. I don't think many people actually to migrate from season to season here though. More of an American idea I think.

ReputationRep:
    Emzie: I was applying for ppe at oxford, which college were you at?I was at Jesus.The PPE paper was really weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    They said jan last year and some came in Dec. It won't happen this year I doubt, since the first weekday after christmas holidays is the 29th i think.
    ohhhhhhh noooooo hope its before new year!!!!!!!!!!1 i hate waiting!

ReputationRep:
    hey jessie! I was at Jesus too! I'm applying for Geog but i saw the ppe paper!

(Original post by lala)
    The fact that most GCSEs and A-levels are exam dominated means those who prefer coursework are discriminated against.
    At GCSE, in most subjects (basically everything apart from English and History), the coursework has very little to do with how intelligent you are or how good you are at the subject. For subjects such as Science and ICT, the coursework is just jumping through hoops. Also, I simply could not cope with any more coursework. I already spend night after night doing coursework for weeks at a time and it really does not enhance my understanding or knowledge of the subject in the slightest.

I think the answer is to have more generous time limits in exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    At GCSE, in most subjects (basically everything apart from English and History), the coursework has very little to do with how intelligent you are or how good you are at the subject. For subjects such as Science and ICT, the coursework is just jumping through hoops. Also, I simply could not cope with any more coursework. I already spend night after night doing coursework for weeks at a time and it really does not enhance my understanding or knowledge of the subject in the slightest.

I think the answer is to have more generous time limits in exams.
    Exams are as much about jumping through hoops as coursework is. Its just that the hoops are different. Having to write down everything you know about a subject on a piece of paper in a stressful exam situation doesnt enhance anyones knowledge either I'm afraid. I also don't agree with your assessment of which subjects test brains.
    And think how much less revision you would have to do for the exam itself had you been able to do more coursework (if you'd wanted to). I think this goes to prove one of my earlier points- stuents ought to have more choice about the coursework: exam ratio. Unfortunately it might not be so feasible.

(Original post by lala)
    I also don't agree with your assessment of which subjects test brains.
    That's not what I meant. What I'm saying is that apart from subjects like English and history, you do not need to be intelligent or be particularly good at the subject to get full marks in the coursework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Cam may have more working class applicants but does it have more working class students? Because if it doesnt then you really havent got much to boast about.
    Mind you, if 95% of us are middle class now (wtf are you on?) then maybe its all academic?
    Yes, Cambridge has a higher percentage of students drawn from social groups A, B and C1 than Oxford. Also, Cambridge's Target Schools may be more intensive but Oxford has far more access initiatives; Target Schools is one of many. For example, I'm involved with the Access Scheme as well as a scheme to encourage applications from FE colleges.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Exams are as much about jumping through hoops as coursework is. Its just that the hoops are different. Having to write down everything you know about a subject on a piece of paper in a stressful exam situation doesnt enhance anyones knowledge either I'm afraid.
    Exams do enhance knowledge of the subject -- what is revision for but increasing your knowledge?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.