Turn on thread page Beta

oxbridge: interviews/general chit-chat watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    What did you think of BNC???? I really like it - I went to formal hall there and I thought it was amazing. And so much less stuck up than a lot of other colleges I've been to.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    from what i saw it was very impressive architecturally... i only went into the buildings i had interviews in though, otherwise i was sitting in the jcr. they have a big TV! i didnt really talk to anyone there... they were all to busy watching women being carved up with chainsaws. :eek:
    (bnc: the psychopath college lol)

exeter was nice, albeit a little small. the hall was very nice, and my room was quite spacious and warm.

ReputationRep:
    And so much less stuck up than a lot of other colleges I've been to
    Hmmmm, i bet christ church is one of those you're thinking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Hmmmm, i bet christ church is one of those you're thinking about.
    Hmmmm, I'd like to say no but....

Anyway if it helps its not THE most stuck up I've been to. St John's was so much worse, as was LMH surpisingly.

ReputationRep:
    St.John's isn't stuck up at all! The people I know there are very nice and normal. I understand they have some good access initiatives too.

a.

ReputationRep:
    Had a nightmare of an oxford interview. Applied for Physics. messed up the maths test, I'd be lucky to get 50%, and then forgot how solve first order differential equations in the interview. That is the Physics equivilent of announcing that you can't read or write in an English interview! I needed so much prompting. I got pretty good GCSE's and everything, but then so did everyone else who was there, so it will be really competetive and my chances are not good. I really liked the place though, and to my surprise most people were really normal, but there were a few supergeeks, but not as many as I had been led to believe. 25/26 applicants for 8 places though, and I got no further interviews at other colleges. Not a chance in hell that I got in.

ReputationRep:
    only got like 3 hours sleep the night before as well. Felt like a zombie during the whole process. Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    only got like 3 hours sleep the night before as well. Felt like a zombie during the whole process. Lol
    I had a really bad night's sleep too, the whole process was pretty exhausting I was applying for medicine, there was loads of competition (from some really great applicants). I got interviewed at Worcester (first choice) and Somerville (assigned). The atmosphere at Somerville is actually really great, much less tense compared to the bigger colleges

ReputationRep:
    on a lighter note, heres a pic of me taken before i went off to oxford, standing in my back garden like a lemon
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    on a lighter note, heres a pic of me taken before i went off to oxford, standing in my back garden like a lemon
    Aww, well you definitely looked the part !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    more like next wednesday. (sorry to increase the wait for you). good luck.
    The Cambridge people have to wait until the new year :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    The Cambridge people have to wait until the new year :rolleyes:
    Yeah, but in a way isn't that better cos it means your Christmas won't be ruined if you get rejected? And you won't be sweating about when it will arrive either, you can relax for a bit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yeah, but in a way isn't that better cos it means your Christmas won't be ruined if you get rejected? And you won't be sweating about when it will arrive either, you can relax for a bit...
    But but, I'm sweating about it anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    But but, I'm sweating about it anyway...
    Aw lol I'm sure it'll be fine, nothing you can do about it now anyway! Just try and distract yourself

ReputationRep:
    Last year, once the interviews had been finished at Oxford, most applicants either got phone calls or letters with their offers - before Christmas. Has anyone heard anything yet this year?
    Cambridge tend to wait until after Christmas to send theirs out. Last year (some colleges who had told applicants they would hear in the New Year) got their letters on 27th/28th December - so many of you have not got as long as you might think you have before hearing!

ReputationRep:
    But the first working day after Xmas is the 29th (Unless you include the saturday)

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, I'd like to say no but....

Anyway if it helps its not THE most stuck up I've been to. St John's was so much worse, as was LMH surpisingly.

Ive just been to st johns and had a brilliant time. I dont really mind if i dont get in now because I think well at least I had fun. there were 31 applicants for 4 places (for EP) so im not holding out much hope. i got interviewed by st annes as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    Had a nightmare of an oxford interview. Applied for Physics. messed up the maths test, I'd be lucky to get 50%, and then forgot how solve first order differential equations in the interview. That is the Physics equivilent of announcing that you can't read or write in an English interview! I needed so much prompting. I got pretty good GCSE's and everything, but then so did everyone else who was there, so it will be really competetive and my chances are not good. I really liked the place though, and to my surprise most people were really normal, but there were a few supergeeks, but not as many as I had been led to believe. 25/26 applicants for 8 places though, and I got no further interviews at other colleges. Not a chance in hell that I got in.
    What college did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    hertford. u?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    hertford. u?
    christ church

ReputationRep:
    My interview.....I only had one. I walked in to the room, both the professors (male) came to the door to shake my hand. Before i had sat down they said my work was really good and therefore there would be no discussion about 'stuff' i know...this really shook me. I had worked myself up thinking i don't enough 'facts'...how stupid. Turns out all they wanted was a 'chat' of sorts; discuss some themes in History and talk about my decisions Post 18....it could have gone so well...but instead i freeze up...the profs exchange looks...i walk out thinking...if only i just went in there and was myself...well....still have *hope*...i really liked Pembroke!

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.