The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
i know this was all said on the previous page, BUT, i don't see a problem with the class system. I know this might not be popular with some people, but I see no problem with some universities having more applications and hence more places given to people of certain classes. And I give this opinion not from a position where I have got everything I want in life - I didn't get accepted to my 1st choice uni - Bristol, most likely because of their adversion at the moment towards public schools. but I still say having classes is not a bad thing.
Reply 441
emzie
i know this was all said on the previous page, BUT, i don't see a problem with the class system. I know this might not be popular with some people, but I see no problem with some universities having more applications and hence more places given to people of certain classes. And I give this opinion not from a position where I have got everything I want in life - I didn't get accepted to my 1st choice uni - Bristol, most likely because of their adversion at the moment towards public schools. but I still say having classes is not a bad thing.

Isn't the basic flaw that it's just not fair, for strikingly obvious reasons? You don't care about this, or you don't think it's a flaw?
Reply 442
I dont think its a flaw
Reply 443
emzie
I dont think its a flaw

So somebody is born into a council estate in Teeside, they have an IQ of 140, could do amazing things, go very far, but get to spend their life making flat pack furniture for a living, whilst somebody with an IQ of 95 gets mothered throughout their childhood and teens, gets into Oxford through a mix of charm/association/extensive tutoring, and has a cushy life doing not much at all. You don't think that story sounds wrong?
Reply 444
nope!
fishpaste
So somebody is born into a council estate in Teeside, they have an IQ of 140, could do amazing things, go very far, but get to spend their life making flat pack furniture for a living, whilst somebody with an IQ of 95 gets mothered throughout their childhood and teens, gets into Oxford through a mix of charm/association/extensive tutoring, and has a cushy life doing not much at all. You don't think that story sounds wrong?

Are you from Teesside?? Me too.
Reply 446
Jools
Are you from Teesside?? Me too.

No, I'm from Manchester, just picked on teeside.
Reply 447
'janon'
only got like 3 hours sleep the night before as well. Felt like a zombie during the whole process. Lol

Me too! My room was OK, but I had a matress made out of concrete on my bed. I managed to get to sleep about 4. Whats worse my first interview (in engineering - Univ.) was at 9 and I almost missed it because of my lack of sleep! I had set the alarm on my mobile to wake me up at 7.50, but the battery ran out (duh!). I think more by chance than anything else, I woke up about 8:50, 10 mins before my interview. A close call if ever there was one!

As for the interviews, I think they went suitably badly as well. In the first one I was given a circuit with two capacitors, one initially charged and with a p.d. of Vo volts, connected across a resistor through which they then shared their charge, both afterwards with p.d. of V' across them. I was asked to find their capacitance. Needless to say that despite close to 10 mins of prompting I couldn't figure out that it was a simple case of conservation of charge. Oh dear. The second one went even worse - I was asked to sketch a graph of voltage against time for a charging capacitor and managed to get it wrong three times before finally stumbling across the correct answer. I am very silly indeed.

It was probably all down to my lack of sleep and nerves on the day, but I think I can safely say that I've made enough of an idiot out of myself to guarantee that I'll not be receiving an offer. Not this year anyway. Now the advantages of that gap year I'm planning seem a little clearer. Roll on 2004!

Ken.
Reply 448
Horrible. No gap year for me though, it is this time around or somewhere else! It isn't that bad being rejected, but I just really quite liked the place, I would be pretty dissapointed not to go there.
Firstly....if SURFING HAMSTER is out there, could he/she please confirm if there were 60 people applying for the 8-10 places of law at Clare????

Secondly, all of you who had bad interviews - meet another one (I had two successively)......who has so much school expectation on her shoulders that her UCAS writer asked her if she were a "betting woman" how much money would she put on herself. To that, I can simply say "NEIGH", alongside a few imprecations. The man could barely spell "apposite" on my reference.

It is bad when one forgets to argue in one's law interview....neigh...even worse when one loses ones eloquence and confidence in debating.

Roll on early January till some of us can get some (albeit negative) closure......
aliel
My interview.....I only had one. I walked in to the room, both the professors (male) came to the door to shake my hand. Before i had sat down they said my work was really good and therefore there would be no discussion about 'stuff' i know...this really shook me. I had worked myself up thinking i don't enough 'facts'...how stupid. Turns out all they wanted was a 'chat' of sorts; discuss some themes in History and talk about my decisions Post 18....it could have gone so well...but instead i freeze up...the profs exchange looks...i walk out thinking...if only i just went in there and was myself...well....still have *hope*...i really liked Pembroke!

That's not that bad! They really liked your work, I'm sure you have some hope of getting in! They haven't already rejected you have they!
Reply 451
claire1985
That's not that bad! They really liked your work, I'm sure you have some hope of getting in! They haven't already rejected you have they!

I agree! Good luck Aliel!!! *fingers crossed*
B00kwOrm
I agree! Good luck Aliel!!! *fingers crossed*

Good luck to Leila and B00kworm-I hope you both get in and do the historians of the board proud! Sorry, kildare too!
Reply 453
claire1985
Good luck to Leila and B00kworm-I hope you both get in and do the historians of the board proud! Sorry, kildare too!

Yeah, we'll kick some butt at Oxbridge!!! Lol... if we get in that is. We'll try not to disappoint our fellow historians here!
B00kwOrm
Yeah, we'll kick some butt at Oxbridge!!! Lol... if we get in that is. We'll try not to disappoint our fellow historians here!

Good good! Do tell me how you go when you hear!
Reply 455
Anyone have an interview at Jesus Col Camb?
Reply 456
claire1985
Good good! Do tell me how you go when you hear!

Will do! You keep me posted too. I know you'd like to stay in London, and Aliel and I would like to go to Oxbridge, but wouldn't it be kind of funny if by some twist of fate we all ended up in Durham??? I'm starting to think of alternatives now... :wink:
Sar
Anyone have an interview at Jesus Col Camb?

Hi there, i had my English interview at Jesus, Cam on Tuesday 9th December. How about you? What did you think?

the place is abssolutely gorgeous, don't you think... god would i love to study there!!

xx
Reply 458
aliel
My interview.....I only had one. I walked in to the room, both the professors (male) came to the door to shake my hand. Before i had sat down they said my work was really good and therefore there would be no discussion about 'stuff' i know...this really shook me. I had worked myself up thinking i don't enough 'facts'...how stupid. Turns out all they wanted was a 'chat' of sorts; discuss some themes in History and talk about my decisions Post 18....it could have gone so well...but instead i freeze up...the profs exchange looks...i walk out thinking...if only i just went in there and was myself...well....still have *hope*...i really liked Pembroke!

I have huge sympathy/empathy for you, Alie. I had my interview at New Hall Cambridge last monday and am fully expecting to recieve a rejection letter in due course. They asked me ok questions that i'm perfectly capable of grapling with, such as how can we date a source, what is the difference betwen history and literature, and i just froze and couldn't think of anything profound to say. I made blindingly obvious suggetsions, the kind of things anyone could think of, but i just don't feel i really got to the heart of the issues or noticed intellectual subtleties. Worse, the interviewers had to prompt me several times with possible answers, so i felt like they were putting words in my mouth and thinking of things for me, rather than me coming up with original thoughts myself. Think i just showed that i'm completely unsuited to the supervision system, as i'm not good at thinking on my feet - am more the kind of person who likes to go away and think about things for a bit.
Reply 459
Minta
I have huge sympathy/empathy for you, Alie. I had my interview at New Hall Cambridge last monday and am fully expecting to recieve a rejection letter in due course. They asked me ok questions that i'm perfectly capable of grapling with, such as how can we date a source, what is the difference betwen history and literature, and i just froze and couldn't think of anything profound to say. I made blindingly obvious suggetsions, the kind of things anyone could think of, but i just don't feel i really got to the heart of the issues or noticed intellectual subtleties. Worse, the interviewers had to prompt me several times with possible answers, so i felt like they were putting words in my mouth and thinking of things for me, rather than me coming up with original thoughts myself. Think i just showed that i'm completely unsuited to the supervision system, as i'm not good at thinking on my feet - am more the kind of person who likes to go away and think about things for a bit.

They always say that being prompted can actually be a good thing - a sign that you're making headway. They must have to prompt you some times as you can't be expected to know all the answers to a probably-unknown topic. Better than being asked lots of easy questions that you know aren't testing you and then them having to move onto something else sharpish?

Latest

Trending

Trending