Turn on thread page Beta

oxbridge: interviews/general chit-chat watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildhoneypie)
    Not true - last year my acceptance was just a one-sheet A4 letter in a regular size envelope. White with College stamp as I remember...
    well my friend received acceptance this morning from my college and it was big envelope.......so maybe it depends on college. but i now know that i have to expect a big one.

ReputationRep:
    what college is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    what college is that?
    queens

ReputationRep:
    ok. i'm jesus, post has come didnt hear anything, no1 else i know has heard nething either GR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    ok. i'm jesus, post has come didnt hear anything, no1 else i know has heard nething either GR
    lol theres always 2moro i guess........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    I mean, I'd have to spend a long time thinking about it, but I've been studying at an all-girls school for a considerable amount of time, and to be honest, I think I'd like something a bit different. There must be some snobbery too, by the other colleges, since I'd imagine the all-girls places would just get the reputation of housing all the people who weren't first-choices for their colleges.

I think it's really unfair how girls have this added chance (and at Durham) of being shoved in an all-girls college. Guys don't have to go through the same problem!
    Sorry, feel called to defend my college! Women's colleges are not like all-girls' schools in the slightest. There are usually loads of men around Hilda's all the time. I am taught by men, there are men in my lectures, I have daily contact with men. It's not like a convent. In fact it has been said by some that there are usually more men per square foot in Hilda's than in any other college, and this is certainly true of our bar on the weekends. Yes a lot of people end up there who didn't select the college as first choice but this is the case at many other colleges too. In fact in the last couple of years certain other colleges have had fewer applications than Hilda's. I also don't think members of other colleges look down on us; we have an excellent academic reputation (best results for women of any college in the university) and the people Hilda's takes from other colleges are those for whom there was not a place available at their first choice college. This does not in any way mean that they are inferior. Also just to let you know that St Mary's in Durham is going co-ed and male undergraduates will be invited to apply next year I think. With regard to your last point there is one all-male hall in Oxford and I know three men who were 'shoved' in there as you call it. Just don't knock Hilda's, nenham et al until you know what they're really like which you clearly don't.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    powerball how did u do? did u get an offer? what course/college?
    Keble for E&M Offer of 3As any subject

My envelope was tiny... just 2 letters and a lil booklet on oxford bursaries.... dont expect a massive post,

Also some rejections have come today as well so dont get depressed its more likely that the christmas card rush is the main problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powerball)
    Keble for E&M Offer of 3As any subject

My envelope was tiny... just 2 letters and a lil booklet on oxford bursaries.... dont expect a massive post,

Also some rejections have come today as well so dont get depressed its more likely that the christmas card rush is the main problem
    ok thats cool.........so have loads of people actually been rejected for E+M that u know of? just at keble?

ReputationRep:
    2 people got rejected from E and M that I know of, one from Keble and one from St peters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powerball)
    Yep, when mine came it was so small I was very worried it was a rejection - it was just a 2 page letter. So don't judge it by the envelope - you have to open it!

Good luck all the Oxford candidates. And Cambridgeites too, in a week or so. See, aren't you glad you're not stressing hideously over when the postman is going to come? You've got time yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yep, when mine came it was so small I was very worried it was a rejection - it was just a 2 page letter. So don't judge it by the envelope - you have to open it!

Good luck all the Oxford candidates. And Cambridgeites too, in a week or so. See, aren't you glad you're not stressing hideously over when the postman is going to come? You've got time yet!
    i think if you get a thick envelope, you can breath a sigh of relief. a thin one, and it could go either way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    i think if you get a thick envelope, you can breath a sigh of relief. a thin one, and it could go either way...

And there's also the nasty instance of getting a fat letter, thinking for one moment that your Cambridge dreams have come true, then opening it to discover it's actually so fat because of all the pool information sheets. Thus the agony continues...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    And there's also the nasty instance of getting a fat letter, thinking for one moment that your Cambridge dreams have come true, then opening it to discover it's actually so fat because of all the pool information sheets. Thus the agony continues...
    ahhh. the pool thing means youve probably got a place though doesnt it? i dont know, they dont do that at oxford (unfortunately)

ReputationRep:
    ahhh. the pool thing means youve probably got a place though doesnt it? i dont know, they dont do that at oxford (unfortunately)

Not neccessarily, my friend was pooled - got one extra interview at Churchill where they were interviewing 20 candidates for 1 place!

Also Oxford are effectively operating a pool by having extra interviews at the time of interview for those candidates who theythink are worthy but they don't have enough places for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle)
    Also Oxford are effectively operating a pool by having extra interviews at the time of interview for those candidates who theythink are worthy but they don't have enough places for.
    i got a second interview, but cocked the physics half of it up. what do you think will happen to me, rejected from both colleges?

ReputationRep:
    i got a second interview, but cocked the physics half of it up. what do you think will happen to me, rejected from both colleges?
    I don't think it's worth trying to second guess them! Hopefully they will have seen something they liked and if not you have a great time somewhere else!

ReputationRep:
    When I finished my interviews I had a gut feeling they went well (second one I was ecstatic when I came out), now my gut doesn't lie! I'm not going to try and second guess or re-evaluate my performance, que sera sera (spelling? )

ReputationRep:
    Can you get an offer for oxford for a college other than your first choice college, without any further interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    Can you get an offer for oxford for a college other than your first choice college, without any further interviews?
    no, need more interviews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    no, need more interviews
    r u sure?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.