oxbridge: interviews/general chit-chat Watch

This discussion is closed.
joka85
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
Newbie here. Just got my Oxford letter. Picked up this morning, my hands were tremblin. Envelope had some weight so that was a good sign. Took the letter out and just dropped it :eek: .....picked it back up and OFFER!!!! AAA with an A in geography. Place was for geography at Worcester college.

Can't believe it. There were 16 apps. for 4 places, all had better grades and essays than me. ( My GCSE's were A*AAAABBBC and my essays were both 20/25).

Been stressin over this for a good six months, affected all my schoolwork, now hope to get things back to normal.
you were at Worcester for Geog? I was there at that time for PPE interviews. You weren't the guy i played table tennis with were you? You were saying something about knowing Metz n Trix??
lucerna
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Sorry, feel called to defend my college! Women's colleges are not like all-girls' schools in the slightest. There are usually loads of men around Hilda's all the time. I am taught by men, there are men in my lectures, I have daily contact with men. It's not like a convent. In fact it has been said by some that there are usually more men per square foot in Hilda's than in any other college, and this is certainly true of our bar on the weekends. Yes a lot of people end up there who didn't select the college as first choice but this is the case at many other colleges too. In fact in the last couple of years certain other colleges have had fewer applications than Hilda's. I also don't think members of other colleges look down on us; we have an excellent academic reputation (best results for women of any college in the university) and the people Hilda's takes from other colleges are those for whom there was not a place available at their first choice college. This does not in any way mean that they are inferior. Also just to let you know that St Mary's in Durham is going co-ed and male undergraduates will be invited to apply next year I think. With regard to your last point there is one all-male hall in Oxford and I know three men who were 'shoved' in there as you call it. Just don't knock Hilda's, nenham et al until you know what they're really like which you clearly don't.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
I'm glad that you did!

I wasn't bashing the colleges at all, so sorry if it came across that way, I was just stating my worries and thoughts over possibilities about them (which I know have no grounding) I was predominantly talking about Cambridge - I didn't know that there's an all-male college at Oxford, didn't know about St.Mary's either (which is good since I received an offer there for Durham as second college.) And I wasn't suggesting that any of the girls colleges were convents (if my school isn't then certainly unversity colleges aren't going to be) I was just expressing a certain degree of bitterness over the fact that as a woman, pooled, you're much more likely to get handed over to an all-girls college where most guys don't have that problem. And certainly at Cambridge I don't think they have all-male colleges (?). I'm sure there are guys around, I was just expressing my views that having boarded full-time for a decade at my school, I'd maybe like the chance to try something different. But I appreciated hearing something from the other side of the argument, so thank you, it is reassuring
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wonky - i've applied for geography at Jesus, I think its v unlikely i'll get in, my written work was good but one of my interviews I tought i did the worst ne1 could do and the other one was k. oh well! what about u? course/college?

if it helps i know someone who applied for english this year at oxford, her interviewer started having a go at HER personally about personal stuff and shouted at her, she just got up and walked out :s she was then told to go for interviews at other colleges, don't know if she got in or not tho
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
wonky - i've applied for geography at Jesus, I think its v unlikely i'll get in, my written work was good but one of my interviews I tought i did the worst ne1 could do and the other one was k. oh well! what about u? course/college?

if it helps i know someone who applied for english this year at oxford, her interviewer started having a go at HER personally about personal stuff and shouted at her, she just got up and walked out :s she was then told to go for interviews at other colleges, don't know if she got in or not tho

lol woah...thats jokes...i'd love to know whether she gets an offer. prob not at her 1st choice college tho unless they admire her for having guts, lol.
I applied for E+M at Queens. well....the written test...i did crap in the 1st section but 2nd section was good. 1st interview went bad, 2nd was better but I think i was really stupid not to be able to answer one of the questions........sigh.........
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
History at Queen's: 40 IB points (including bonus points)

YESSSSSSSSS
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeh i'll find out if she did!

woah well done!

ahh everyones hearing! mine must be lost in the post! is there a sunday post coz its near to xmas? I heard there was??
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hi veedy, fellow geogo! yeh i've already done that! roll on nottingham!
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
History at Queen's: 40 IB points (including bonus points)

YESSSSSSSSS
well done, what date were u told by Queen's that u'd hear from them? cos i'm still waiting
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
yeh i'll find out if she did!

woah well done!

ahh everyones hearing! mine must be lost in the post! is there a sunday post coz its near to xmas? I heard there was??
i seriously doubt it....it'll have to be mon for the both of us i'm afraid
Danielle16
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wonkey)
i seriously doubt it....it'll have to be mon for the both of us i'm afraid

I JUST WANT TO KNOW, ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE INTERVIEWS FOR OXBRIDGE, WHAT TYPE OF EDUCATION DID U HAVE, COMPREHENSIVE, PRIVATE OR PUBLIC ??
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Danielle16)
I JUST WANT TO KNOW, ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE INTERVIEWS FOR OXBRIDGE, WHAT TYPE OF EDUCATION DID U HAVE, COMPREHENSIVE, PRIVATE OR PUBLIC ??
grammar
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ahh monday! i'm the most impatient person EVER! lololol ahhh!!!! i'm going out tonight and 2morrow night to try and take my mind off it!! lol i'm not going to get in til at least 3am sunday (monday) morning so i dont think im even going to go to sleep! ahh!!!

danielle - private 2 1/2-11 years, comprehensive 11-16 years, public 16-18 years, so i've had a miz of all 3!!
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
hi veedy, fellow geogo! yeh i've already done that! roll on nottingham!
Hi Emzie! Read about your interviews, that interviewer of yours must have been really mean. Good luck anyway
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by joka85)
you were at Worcester for Geog? I was there at that time for PPE interviews. You weren't the guy i played table tennis with were you? You were saying something about knowing Metz n Trix??

Yeah! It's me, how u doin? Have you received a reply yet?
joka85
Report 14 years ago
lol...what a fluke...nah no decision yet...still waiting!

congrats on u'res tho!
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by joka85)
lol...what a fluke...nah no decision yet...still waiting!

congrats on u'res tho!

I know!!! Good luck with yours, though you might have to wait until Monday now . If you get in as well I'm gonna challenge you to some more table tennis and hopefully beat you this time! Have you heard from LSE?
joka85
Report 14 years ago
yeh...get training just in case

LSE not yet...u?
peach_archers
Report 14 years ago
Hey all,

Emzie: I applied to university college they seemed to have been quick off the mark to get acceptance/rejection letters out!

I am quite worried though because on my rejection letter they something about the interview notes and why I didn't get in going back to my school! Talk about rubbing salt into the wound lol

Kat
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by peach_archers)
Hey all,

Emzie: I applied to university college they seemed to have been quick off the mark to get acceptance/rejection letters out!

I am quite worried though because on my rejection letter they something about the interview notes and why I didn't get in going back to my school! Talk about rubbing salt into the wound lol

Kat
lol, yeah I know the school definitely get feedback as to how u performed....and i agree......i don't want my school to know.
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
omg do u think they send back the actual interview notes? scary!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.48%
No (615)
72.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed