Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peach_archers)
    Hey all,

Emzie: I applied to university college they seemed to have been quick off the mark to get acceptance/rejection letters out!

I am quite worried though because on my rejection letter they something about the interview notes and why I didn't get in going back to my school! Talk about rubbing salt into the wound lol

Kat

Last year mine was really good and although I had been rejected it made me feel better and like 'oh well at least I wasn't making a fool of myself there!'

It gave me the confidence to reapply but now I'm feeling very very doubtful of success!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    omg do u think they send back the actual interview notes? scary!
    lol probs.....more detailed cos ox need gd reasons 4 rejecting candidates. but i'm so not bothered bout that, i think the 1st step is to find out whether i've been accepted/rejected. my bro said that his friends school found out b4 themselves whether they were accepted/rejected by oxbridge....and that i should ring up my school, but i really don't fancy hearing from them

ReputationRep:
    i don't care who I find out from i'm THAT desperate! I don't think anyone will be in school to tell me tho.

ReputationRep:
    comprehensive primary school, private secondary

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer--went to non-selective state school...interestingly i was the only non-selective out of the 24 applicants competing for the 6 places.....and had the worse GCSE grades (C-Maths CC-Science--i was MADE to take the foundation paper)!! But got good alevel results so they didnt care about the GCSEs, i think they were amused by it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Got an offer--went to non-selective state school...interestingly i was the only non-selective out of the 24 applicants competing for the 6 places.....and had the worse GCSE grades (C-Maths CC-Science--i was MADE to take the foundation paper)!! But got good alevel results so they didnt care about the GCSEs, i think they were amused by it all.
    well done another deserving student gets an offer!

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I got an offer despite my getting 3A*’s, 2A’s, 2B’s and a C (Maths) in my IGCSE’s, so it’s certainly possible. YESSSS

Oh and, non selective international school (foundation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    what did u get.....i got 6A3B for GCSE and AAAAB for AS and predicted AAAA for A2....will they be amused by me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matouwah)
    what did u get.....i got 6A3B for GCSE and AAAAB for AS and predicted AAAA for A2....will they be amused by me?

For my GCSEs? AAAABBCCC - a nice mix. I did literally no work and had a whale of a time. But i after my good A/S's i applied to La Sorbonne in Paris and by some miracle got in there after a joke of an interview..a year on, my scholarship expired..no money..so thought why not push my luck again and go for Oxford...it paid off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    For my GCSEs? AAAABBCCC - a nice mix. I did literally no work and had a whale of a time. But i after my good A/S's i applied to La Sorbonne in Paris and by some miracle got in there after a joke of an interview..a year on, my scholarship expired..no money..so thought why not push my luck again and go for Oxford...it paid off
    lucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    what u get for AS?

ReputationRep:
    what on earth are IGCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    what on earth are IGCSEs?
    internatioanl GCSEs.....supposed to be harder than regular GCSEs i think for most subjects....especially sciences...

ReputationRep:
    hehe!
    regarding the school finding out about how the interviews went - the main reason I don't want them to find out is because on the day of my interview I had flu (I stupidly did not tell the tutors) and so my comments are going to be like

' she bumbled through her nose', 'lots of rude sniffing and splurting' and 'has this child no manners?'

Ah well roll on next year

Kat

P.S Has anyone who re-applied to Oxford (who was rejected the year before got in?) I need hope!

ReputationRep:
    P.S Has anyone who re-applied to Oxford (who was rejected the year before got in?) I need hope!
    we'll see when my letter comes :eek:

ReputationRep:
    regarding the school

Don't worry Kat, there is hope! I know quite a few people who made it second time round. One friend applied to Cam for Natsci and got pooled then rejected, and the following year applied for Physics at Merton, Ox and got in. Another friend had a similar experience - he applied for History at Cam one year and then applied to Ox, Lady Margaret Hall and got a place. One of my cousin's friends applied for French at Jesus, Cam and got pooled then rejected, then got into Newnham the next year. Just because you were unlucky first time round doesn't mean you don't have every chance of succeeding the following year.

ReputationRep:
    hehe!
    regarding the school finding out about how the interviews went - the main reason I don't want them to find out is because on the day of my interview I had flu (I stupidly did not tell the tutors) and so my comments are going to be like

' she bumbled through her nose', 'lots of rude sniffing and splurting' and 'has this child no manners?'

Ah well roll on next year

Kat

Hey don't worry... I had a cold aswell and I nearly lost my voice half way through one of my interviews. The interviewer was nice about it though and said that a lot of people have got some kind of cold this time of year. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Really don't try and judge your chances of acceptance on the interview.....hand on heart mine was truly awful....but have come to the conclusion the offer was based on me being able to entertain the tutor for a few years.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Really don't try and judge your chances of acceptance on the interview.....hand on heart mine was truly awful....but have come to the conclusion the offer was based on me being able to entertain the tutor for a few years.......
    lol :cool: i hope thats the attitude my interviewers take!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    lol :cool: i hope thats the attitude my interviewers take!!

A 2nd year historian told me when i was there, that the tutors look for 3 things:
    1) Can this student realistically get a 2:1 ?
    2) Can i bear possibly tutoring such a student for 3 years?
    3) How will this student fit in with the group of applicants I have at first mentally selected?

I am not sure whether this student was 100% right...but hey it calmed my nerves...slightly.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.