Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    lol when you put it like that blamps, maybe a rejection letter isnt so bad
    what was the one like that you recieved last year (just curious so as to prepare myself )

ReputationRep:
    I really dont think i'll get in because there was sucha huge number of applicants for so few places - 31 for 4! how many applicants to places were there for everyone's various subjects/colleges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    what was the one like that you recieved last year (just curious so as to prepare myself )
    lol i dont have it now because i burnt it a couple days afterward (very satisfying).
    i think it said something like 'as you know there are a large number of excellently qualified candidates for every place at oxford; unfortunately we are unable to offer you a place this year. best of luck with your application to other universities'....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah)
    I really dont think i'll get in because there was sucha huge number of applicants for so few places - 31 for 4! how many applicants to places were there for everyone's various subjects/colleges?
    I think there was about 40 something for Law at Pembroke - was there a surge in Oxford applications or something?

ReputationRep:
    wow in comparison mine wasnt too bad: 6 for 0-2 places. puts it into perspective hearing yours

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they just decided to interview more people this year because the applicants were all so great . . . . erm maybe

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they just decided to interview more people this year because the applicants were all so great . . . . erm maybe
    I heard they rejected more this year without interview

ReputationRep:
    We had 5 for up to 4 places - although Sarco's was for 05 entry so they potentially could take all of us but from talking to students they will only take those they really want as in many years they only have 2 students.

ReputationRep:
    I think there was about 40 something for Law at Pembroke - was there a surge in Oxford applications or something?

Blamps, for law at Worcester there were 92 applicants for 10 places I heard. Some were intially filtered out, some were redistributed to toher colleges and about 45 were interviewed at Worcester I think.

ReputationRep:
    Wow sazzle what subject was that for and at what college? Thats pretty good odds!

ReputationRep:
    Wow sazzle what subject was that for and at what college? Thats pretty good odds!
    Lol, there was one place at my College, and only me applying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    Lol, there was one place at my College, and only me applying
    Lucky you!

*turns green with envy and mutters curses under breath*

ReputationRep:
    Earth Science at St Anne's - but if I'm not good enough they wont take me

And the department interviewed as a whole so as to even out inbalances in applications so that the best get in.

Can you tell I'm not feeling too hopeful right now??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    Blamps, for law at Worcester there were 92 applicants for 10 places I heard. Some were intially filtered out, some were redistributed to toher colleges and about 45 were interviewed at Worcester I think.
    I had no chance of being filtered out to St John's...how many were initially rejected then?

ReputationRep:
    Awww! Dont worry about it sazzle i'm sure they will want you but if not you can always reapply next year. I might do that if i get rejected, in fact i might just keep on reapplying every year until they get so fed up with me that they take me! It might work!

ReputationRep:
    I had no chance of being filtered out to St John's...how many were initially rejected then?

I'm not sure to be honest

ReputationRep:
    Awww! Dont worry about it sazzle i'm sure they will want you but if not you can always reapply next year. I might do that if i get rejected, in fact i might just keep on reapplying every year until they get so fed up with me that they take me! It might work!

Lol!! Well this is my second attempt! I applied to Cam last year for Engineering. But I know this time I will be happy somewhere else - but nobody likes being rejected!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    lol i dont have it now because i burnt it a couple days afterward (very satisfying).
    i think it said something like 'as you know there are a large number of excellently qualified candidates for every place at oxford; unfortunately we are unable to offer you a place this year. best of luck with your application to other universities'....
    Heh yeah, my pool letter went something along the lines of, "Dear Michelle, thank you for your application to read Anglo-Saxon Norse and Celtic at St Catharine's college. Unfortunately we are unable to offer you a place, but have placed your application in the intercollegiate pool for further consideration by other colleges..." blah blah blah. The final rejection letter arrived a week later and read, "unfortunately your interview papers have been returned to us (St Catharine's) ... we wish you luck with your other university applications..." Edders, must say that burning the letters sounds like an excellent idea - i'd very much enjoy watching the offending bits of paper going up in flames. Anyone feel like getting together for a mass bonfire sometime in Dec/Jan?!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever heard of people being rejected over the phone? Or do you know youve got a place if you get a phone call?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Edders, must say that burning the letters sounds like an excellent idea - i'd very much enjoy watching the offending bits of paper going up in flames. Anyone feel like getting together for a mass bonfire sometime in Dec/Jan?!
    splendid idea! enough to warm our hearts for the forthcoming year

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.