Turn on thread page Beta

oxbridge: interviews/general chit-chat watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    am so not ready for my interview--dont know my topics at all---did the essays over a year ago-----ahhhhhhhhhhhh---i dont want to go
    Aliel, if it makes you feel any better, I feel just the same although I know my topics (more or less) and I spend a lot of time revising (when I'm not online ). I'm sure you'll be fine, don't panic. Try to calm down. Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared. I have to go to Oxford from Sunday 14th to Wednesday 17th. It could quite possibly be the most demoralising experience of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    I'm scared. I have to go to Oxford from Sunday 14th to Wednesday 17th. It could quite possibly be the most demoralising experience of my life.
    same here. ru going for physics?
    you should be confident, its really not that bad (ive already been through it once). in fact, its quite fun!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    same here. ru going for physics?
    you should be confident, its really not that bad (ive already been through it once). in fact, its quite fun!!
    I'm going for Maths and Philosophy. It could be fun, so long as I don't screw up too bad. I think my problem is going to be trying to forget about things I said in the last interview, things I got wrong in the exam etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    I'm going for Maths and Philosophy. It could be fun, so long as I don't screw up too bad. I think my problem is going to be trying to forget about things I said in the last interview, things I got wrong in the exam etc...
    well in my experience what you said before doesnt cross your mind: youre too busy trying to think of something insightful to say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    That link doesn't work so I'm afraid you'll have to enlighten us...

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    crap, they've taken it down. it was basically a tabloid-gossip-pages-style account of what happened in the term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Will you be at Clare on the 11th?
    Nope, I think I'll have gone home by then. I reckon I'm getting the train home after my interviews on the 11th, depending on what time they finish

I did email Clare college and ask how many people had applied for places - apparently there's 60 - so it is looking worse than I thought!

*feels silly*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    Nope, I think I'll have gone home by then. I reckon I'm getting the train home after my interviews on the 11th, depending on what time they finish

I did email Clare college and ask how many people had applied for 25 places - apparently there's 60 applicants this year - so it's not looking as bad as I thought!
    25 Places?!?!? At one college?!?!? What subject is this?????

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    25 Places?!?!? At one college?!?!? What subject is this?????
    NatSci, at a wild guess. They're all over the place. Mostly harmless though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    NatSci, at a wild guess. They're all over the place. Mostly harmless though
    Yeah, unlike medics They bite...

ReputationRep:
    Going to St. Hilda's Oxford for Biological Science interview on the 14th (interview on 15th) and Christ Church on the 16th.

Is everyone going by train or coach? How are you planning to book train tickets in case of being called for another interview on the third day?

Ahhhhhhhh I'm really scared!

This is a random fact but I just found out that I'm really allergic to alcohol *cries* :roll:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asphyxiating)
    Going to St. Hilda's Oxford for Biological Science interview on the 14th (interview on 15th) and Christ Church on the 16th.

Is everyone going by train or coach? How are you planning to book train tickets in case of being called for another interview on the third day?

Ahhhhhhhh I'm really scared!

This is a random fact but I just found out that I'm really allergic to alcohol *cries* :roll:
    What!?! Wow - I didn't think that was possible! Are you allergic, or just unable to metabolise it?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    What!?! Wow - I didn't think that was possible! Are you allergic, or just unable to metabolise it?

Ben
    Well after only maybe 4 sips of only 5% alcohol or maybe less I go really really flushed and my head gets all heated and my body starts shivering and I don't even get drunk. Just my body has some allergic reaction I think. None of our family can take alcohol really well but put it this way, the last time I had like 1/2 bottle of Reef which was only 5% and the bar woman thought I was on drugs and suggested I went to hospital!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else had an Oxbridge interview -I guess the Oxford ones are mostly next week. It just pisses me off that my chances this year are over -I only had one interview and everything was resting on it. Oh well -I guess I'll take a year out. Does anyone know if they will be sending me my rejection letter before Christmas or in January??
    Lola

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lola14)
    Has anyone else had an Oxbridge interview -I guess the Oxford ones are mostly next week. It just pisses me off that my chances this year are over -I only had one interview and everything was resting on it. Oh well -I guess I'll take a year out. Does anyone know if they will be sending me my rejection letter before Christmas or in January??
    Lola
    Don't be so negative - nobody knows how there interview went and what the tutors actually thought.

Cambridge usually post all letters on 27th December (or at least they all agree to a date around then)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle)
    Don't be so negative - nobody knows how there interview went and what the tutors actually thought.

Cambridge usually post all letters on 27th December (or at least they all agree to a date around then)
    How about a sticky for posts on letters of offers/rejections?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle)

I think you do know though even though people say you don't. Anyway it is a bad sign if the interviewers seem to be going through the motions and not challenging you or pushing you to find out where your limits are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lola14)
    Lola
    Why you taking a year out if you don't get an offer? Haven't you made any other choices on your application?

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaving tomorrow for PPE interview. Feel extremely unprepared and have focused far too much on packing rather than actually reading stuff. Am scared now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Why you taking a year out if you don't get an offer? Haven't you made any other choices on your application?
    Yep I have but didn't really think the other choices through as I always knew that I would take a year out. I had a feeling I wouldn't get in because I got a B in Maths which I took only because I thought it would be a good A-Level to have (WARNING to everyone choosing courses to take). I have offers from LSE, Birmingham and Glasgow but don't want to go while knowing I haven't really tried my hardest at this whole exam thing. I think that I am good enough for Oxbridge and if I don't get in next year well fair enough -then I'll go somewhere else. Plus the idea of a GAP year has grown on me.

Lola

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.