Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    RUBBISH!!! Not only does cambridge have far more working class applicants (mainly owing to the fact there are relatively fewer private schools nearby, and also the fact it has a more intensive target schools system), but this whole suits argument is rubbish. see below...

*******s *******s *******s. This is a quote from a woman, who as thus knows **** all about the nature of a suit. By wearing a suit (be it a £1000 gucci, or just a £32 quid debenams - like one of mine) all you are saying is that you take a professional approach to your studies, and you actually care. Remember interviewers are often old traditional peeps who dont take kindly to the prick who believes the hildabeast and comes in combat trousers and a wacky 'nirvana/smahing pumpkins/geeky shirt'. Once you get to cambridge/oxford/durham you would need a suit anyway for formals - the social event of the week/night.

And as for all the middle class shite, **** it. go where you wanna go. Class is a loada *******s nowadays. Lets face it, 95% of people are middle class.
    J
    drunk?

ReputationRep:
    There are much fewer people from the lower socio-economic backgrounds in Cambridge than in Oxford. All i know about suits is that my tutor mentioned to me the other day how it annoys her when interviewees make too much of an effort and look like they've tried too hard because it makes her feel uncomfortable for not dressing formally. It's an individual's choice, i'm only offering advice. I would say persoanlly that if i was an interviewer I would see a suit as a bit pretentious, expecially as applicants are told that they are not necessary.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    There are much fewer people from the lower socio-economic backgrounds in Cambridge than in Oxford. All i know about suits is that my tutor mentioned to me the other day how it annoys her when interviewees make too much of an effort and look like they've tried too hard because it makes her feel uncomfortable for not dressing formally. It's an individual's choice, i'm only offering advice. I would say persoanlly that if i was an interviewer I would see a suit as a bit pretentious, expecially as applicants are told that they are not necessary.

I went for a suit. Well I didn't have one, so blazer + trousers + shirt... twas a good idea as it made an impression, looked like I'd made the effort. Nobody else had for Geog so I stuck out... in a good way...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I went for a suit. Well I didn't have one, so blazer + trousers + shirt... twas a good idea as it made an impression, looked like I'd made the effort. Nobody else had for Geog so I stuck out... in a good way...!
    I don't think it matters that much really, but I think that if they say it's not necessary they pretty much mean don't.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it matters that much really, but I think that if they say it's not necessary they pretty much mean don't.

Not always... "It's not necessary to do Further Maths to take a degree course in Maths"... but if you haven't your usually pretty screwed...!

Glad to be back home after a hectic Michaelmas, Hildabeast? Looks like I'm staying here the whole hols, I've got far too much to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Not always... "It's not necessary to do Further Maths to take a degree course in Maths"... but if you haven't your usually pretty screwed...!

Glad to be back home after a hectic Michaelmas, Hildabeast? Looks like I'm staying here the whole hols, I've got far too much to do.
    I'm going back in two weeks!! I have prelims next term - how annoying is that??? Also I have to visit a friend who is gonna be alone all christmas and i can imagine that would be pretty depressing somewhere like oxford.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going back in two weeks!! I have prelims next term - how annoying is that??? Also I have to visit a friend who is gonna be alone all christmas and i can imagine that would be pretty depressing somewhere like oxford.

How come you're still around / allowed to be still around, helping with interviews? If so what's your pay, we get minimum wage + free food. No being lonely in Oxford isn't depressing, I was on top of the world here over summer for 3 months, it's an amazing city.

Po Na Na's this Thursday! Killa Kela

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    How come you're still around / allowed to be still around, helping with interviews? If so what's your pay, we get minimum wage + free food. No being lonely in Oxford isn't depressing, I was on top of the world here over summer for 3 months, it's an amazing city.

Po Na Na's this Thursday! Killa Kela
    No I mean I'm going back to oxford in 2 weeks - I'm home now. Runners at hilda's don't get paid - just free food and accomodation. I have to go and see thins poor guy - he's spending Christmas and new Year all alone in a concrete St Anne's accomodation block in Summertown.

ReputationRep:
    No I mean I'm going back to oxford in 2 weeks - I'm home now. Runners at hilda's don't get paid - just free food and accomodation. I have to go and see thins poor guy - he's spending Christmas and new Year all alone in a concrete St Anne's accomodation block in Summertown.

I went to a house party at St Anne's on Thursday. Actually it was college owned 18 bedroom accommodation for 2nd years, seemed like a completely different city up north, a street of mansions, I walk in I'm like "woooah" but the people there said it was really ****, they just spend all their time in the house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I went to a house party at St Anne's on Thursday. Actually it was college owned 18 bedroom accommodation for 2nd years, seemed like a completely different city up north, a street of mansions, I walk in I'm like "woooah" but the people there said it was really ****, they just spend all their time in the house.
    Yeh he really hates living all the way out there. Summertown is posh but for students its just so awkward - its miles away from the college itself even and it costs me £6 to get a taxi there from Hilda's.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh he really hates living all the way out there. Summertown is posh but for students its just so awkward - its miles away from the college itself even and it costs me £6 to get a taxi there from Hilda's.

I wouldn't have thought any students would be living in Summertown, it's practically a different city. I've never used a taxi, usually walk, occasionally bike. Don't choose somewhere on the other end of Cowley or Iffley Rd when you're househunting next term (a good distraction from Prelims revision!) And don't worry it's not too bad, especially Phil/The, and then you have Trinity term to relax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I wouldn't have thought any students would be living in Summertown, it's practically a different city. I've never used a taxi, usually walk, occasionally bike. Don't choose somewhere on the other end of Cowley or Iffley Rd when you're househunting next term (a good distraction from Prelims revision!) And don't worry it's not too bad, especially Phil/The, and then you have Trinity term to relax.
    Yeh I guess that's true - i'll just look forward to summer - yay!!!! Yes there are students living up that way - its a graduate accomodation block thing.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone apply to St Edmund Hall at Oxford???

ReputationRep:
    I finally found out my college allocations... I applied for maths so I get six college allocations for some reason:

1. Brasenose (this was my choice)
    2. Christchurch
    3. St. Johns
    4. Jesus
    5. New
    6. Wadham

I will automatically get a maths interview at christchurch... does anybody know anything about this college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    I finally found out my college allocations... I applied for maths so I get six college allocations for some reason:

1. Brasenose (this was my choice)
    2. Christchurch
    3. St. Johns
    4. Jesus
    5. New
    6. Wadham

I will automatically get a maths interview at christchurch... does anybody know anything about this college?
    see for yourself
    http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk
    its quite elitist public school afaik

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    see for yourself
    http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk
    its quite elitist public school afaik
    It was built by Wolsley, has a Catherdral and was where Charles I stayed during the civil war I think....it is a very beautiful college, awe-inspring really but would agree with Edders in it being perceived as snobish although that is a generalisation (probably :confused: )....it is also very academic me thinks

ReputationRep:
    Wish all the people who apply for Oxford fulfil their dreams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charles)
    Wish all the people who apply for Oxford fulfil their dreams
    awww that's sweet - have you applied to teddy hall???

ReputationRep:
    St Hilda's hasvoted on to keep the only female College. Should this be allowed? I don't think that it is very fair. Why should it stay like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    St Hilda's hasvoted on to keep the only female College. Should this be allowed? I don't think that it is very fair. Why should it stay like this
    What's not fair is the fact that women have a lower acceptance rate than men at all levels. What's not fair is that only 5 out of over 90 chemistry fellows in the university are female, 3 of whom are at St Hilda's. What's not fair is that only 20% of postgraduate students are women. What's not fair is that men get more firsts than women in spite of the fact that women enter with generally higher qualifiations. I could go on.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.