Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by hildabeast)
    Girls on average have higher IQs
    Would you agree that IQ tests are sexist in their way of examination then?

(I do not agree with your statement, however. It all depends on what IQ tests you base the results on, though most I've seen suggest on average men have higher IQ's).

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering who has applied to oxford for medicine and got in........what college u guys at??? any preparation done? im bricking it.......lol

What's not fair is the fact that women have a lower acceptance rate than men at all levels. What's not fair is that only 5 out of over 90 chemistry fellows in the university are female, 3 of whom are at St Hilda's. What's not fair is that only 20% of postgraduate students are women. What's not fair is that men get more firsts than women in spite of the fact that women enter with generally higher qualifiations. I could go on.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    When they change the exam system so as to suit the abilities of women im sure it will change
    J

It puts men at an immediate unfair advantage - why should the system still be tailored towards them? Women have been members of this university for well over 100 years now and have continuously been in the minority. The higher up the academic ladder you go, the worse the situation. Educational psychologists have demonstrated many times that examintaion-based systems tend to benefit men. Why should women be expected to change when men can just continue in the way they have always done things? Obviously this is a huge generalisation but the trends are clearly evident. It is also a widely-known fact that certain tutors at certain of the male-dominated colleges have quite a misogynist attitutde. Why should women have to put up with this?

The women in the uni 100 years ago were freaks of the day, often looked at in horror by men and women alike!
    Examination based systems were started hundreds of years ago. Not with the idea of excluding women, but with the idea of differentiating the abilities of men. They do very well in that role. In the past 2 decades (ie a very VERY short space of time) exams have been changing from bottom up. They are gradually filtering through uni, at first with shite courses, and soon with decent ones, and within a decade or so i have no doubt even oxbridge will conform.
    What I don't believe though is this idea that women are infact BETTER than men as you are putting across. "Girls on average have higher IQs, so no."
    I don't believe either sex is actually better than the other. There has been absolutely no conclusive proof. Studies of transexuals have also shown there to be no difference, so I don't know where the hell you are getting your sources. What is known is the intelligence is determined by nurture and nature. If you tell a kid that as a male they are destined to do worse, and punish the natural behaviour then they probably will go belly up.
    I think its important to work to the strengths of both sexes imbued by a) Nurture and b) Natural hormonally regulated behaviour.

O and I dont think who your OUSU presidents were makes any fricking difference.
    The last CUSU presidents were a male model, good looking entirely gay asian dude, and a very rahh prat. And I suspect the next one will be an annoyingly outspoken commie ******.
    J

ReputationRep:
    awww that's sweet - have you applied to teddy hall???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Yes, I have. What about u?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    When they change the exam system so as to suit the abilities of women im sure it will change
    J
    The odds of it being changed to suit women are minimal, universities are still male dominated in terms of who's actually in charge. I'd rather just have something that doesn't so blatantly favour men.

ReputationRep:
    It puts men at an immediate unfair advantage - why should the system still be tailored towards them? Women have been members of this university for well over 100 years now and have continuously been in the minority. The higher up the academic ladder you go, the worse the situation. Educational psychologists have demonstrated many times that examintaion-based systems tend to benefit men. Why should women be expected to change when men can just continue in the way they have always done things? Obviously this is a huge generalisation but the trends are clearly evident. It is also a widely-known fact that certain tutors at certain of the male-dominated colleges have quite a misogynist attitutde. Why should women have to put up with this?

You've summed that all up beautifully, have some rep girl!
    Oxford, as we all know, was all male for hundreds of years before it (grudgingly) admitted women, and you can still tell that everything, from sub fusc to the system of education, was created with men in mind. Many women are still at a disadvantage because of this, though I won't be boring and just repeat what you've already said.
    The misogynistic tutors are still sadly alive and well- I will pm you the worst example that I'm aware of so you can see what I mean. I also think that for female science students in particular the issue of under-representation of women in SCRs has a knock on effect. I'm lucky because history is one of the subjects where there are more women fellows so I'm not so short of female role models, but can you imagine how it would be for an engineer, for example? The JCR Presidents point was also a succinct one: women are deeply under-represented there too. And Alexander- the fact that less women stand for JCR President positions is in itself deeply significant. It takes a lot of guts for a woman to try and attain a position like that in what is still a very male dominated world. Which ties in with Hilda's point about why so many girls from her college do so well- they havent been held back. Examinations that give male students an unfair advantage are only the tip of the iceberg I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    My interview is at Trinity Cambridge on tuesday 9th late on in the day...
    mine is also trinity im natural science~wot abt u??which subject did u apply?

(Original post by lala)
    The odds of it being changed to suit women are minimal, universities are still male dominated in terms of who's actually in charge. I'd rather just have something that doesn't so blatantly favour men.
    But how esle is there! IT seems to me that hugely stressful exams dont favour women. It has been said on more than one occasion by minds alot greater than anyone here that guys tend to skim everything and go into detail ona few topics, whereas women tend to be thorough to the point of losing sight of the big picture.
    The alternative is the coursework based course whereby there is constant work with minimal immediate deadlines. This has been shown to blatantly favour women.
    And in between? Well thats coursework plus ridiculous amounts of exams. Welcome to the 3rd year at cambridge...
    J

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't give a crap whether I get mainly examined or tested by coursework - I always hated coursework at school but exams are hardly a barrel of laughs either, whichever sex you are. So far I've only met one man who is sexist - one of the older anatomy demonstrators who is infamous for his belief that women shouldn't be doctors. But his presence hasn't put me off; all it does is make sure all the girls actually do read their dissection notes the night before he's due to be working on our table, so you could say it has a positive effect (NB the boys are all scared of being pounced on by him, so they are also in a rather awkward situation!)

All my supervisors are male (except my occasional Sociology and Epidemiology ones), and I share supervisions with guys. It's fine by me. The one thing I do agree with hildabeast and the others about is that women are underrepresented at the higher levels of the university teaching. Sadly the two female lecturers we have had this term have been among the worst, which doesn't do the image of female academics any good. Our clinical DoS is a woman though, and although we obviously haven't had very much contact with her, she's pretty formidable by all accounts!

Personally, however, as an undergrad, I'd like to think that if I do well in my exams (or if I don't) it's down to my brains or lack thereof, and the amount of work I do, not whether or not "the system" is biased against me.

ReputationRep:
    I just had my interview at Pembroke College, Cambridge yesterday. And I wonder if I was in the first group of people to be interviewed. Because the undergraduates were unprepared when I got there on Sunday. Nonetheless, it was still a very nice experiece. Recommand it.

When is everyone else's interview? Or if you had it, how did it go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    I just had my interview at Pembroke College, Cambridge yesterday. And I wonder if I was in the first group of people to be interviewed. Because the undergraduates were unprepared when I got there on Sunday. Nonetheless, it was still a very nice experiece. Recommand it.

Bloody Oxbridge applicants, despite the fact that they now have their own thread they still feel the need to start others .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Bloody Oxbridge applicants, despite the fact that they now have their own thread they still feel the need to start others .
    Got a problem with that? Just get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    Got a problem with that? Just get on with it.
    have mine on thursday
    what subject are u applying for?
    any general tips?

ReputationRep:
    what subject? What qs did they ask you?

ReputationRep:

I've got mine on 12th at Pembroke, Cambridge.
    What subject you're applying for?
    What did you wear?
    How did it go? What did they ask?in general.
    please tell us....
    by the way I've applied for engineering.

ReputationRep:
    coursework is such *******s!!!!!!!!! In coursework if you work hard enough and pester enough people you get full marks easy peasy, which is why hard-working girls do well at the expense of boys! Coursework does not test ability, but your ability to get projects done to certain criteria.

Exams on the other hand, test actually performance. Now since girls apparently work steadily during the year anyway, they should do well in exams as well! I can appreciate that exams can be somewhat confrontational etc and anti girl like, which is fair and maybe needs to be changed a little ,

Hey

I think you were going for nat sci? so am I at pembroke. My interview is on Fri.

How was it?

PM me if you want

Rosie

ReputationRep:
    Clothes to Wear:

Something warm. If you are staying the night, make sure the radiator in your room works. I had a pretty cold night on Sunday. That was COLD.

Subject applied: Comp Sci.

General Tips/Question: Relax. People are friendly at Pembrok, both candidates and students, but probably not all the interviewers. I had my interviews with Dr Michael Wise and Mrs Sue Stobbs. Both of them are very friendly. Questions are hard and you are not expected to get the answers straight away. Basically they expect you to think. Talk to yourself/interviewer while thinking can be helpful. I'm not giving away any questions. Nat Sci and Comp Sci (apparently the engineering interviewees at Downing college have to do it too) candidates are expected to do the Thinking Skill Assessment. More information is available on Cambridge's web site. There is also a hints file available along with the sample paper. It is worth doing the paper first then look at the hints. Look through the sample paper again the night before the test, it may increase your chance of success dramatically. Test last 90 minutes, consists of 50 questions and is done on a computer.

How did mine go: I can only hope that I performed well enough yesterday. I'm just glad it's all finished. So the waiting process starts...

I think it's a good idea to travel by train. It gives the opportunities to talk to interviewees from other colleges. Oh, and the TV room in Pembroke has only one small radiater in the corner of the room. Bloody cold. Sneeze~~~ Food is ok, but you are only allowed to have one "lot" free. So if you know that you need a lot, take a lot.

If you enjoyed yourself at the interview, you would know that it is THE univeristy to go to. That's how I felt/feel anyway.

Hope all your interviews go well and most importantly enjoy yourself. You might find something unexpected (in a nice way) during your stay at the college.

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody help me out here. I have been invited for a natural sciences interview on tuesday, but the letter didn't mention a TSA test. However, on the website it says that my college requires that applicants sit these tests. Does it say in the interview letter that you have to sit the test or do you find out when you arrive- Shall I assume that I dont have to do it?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.