The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The thing to remember is that its a LANGUAGE paper....not literature. So, write about poetic devices, use of languages, structure and form...not just about what the poem is trying to convey.

Oh, and don't forget that Section B is Inform, Describe and something else I've forgotten. (oops)
Reply 2
abhineyjain
, write about poetic devices, use of languages, structure and form...not just about what the poem is trying to convey.

Darn it, should have realised that before I did paper 1 :s-smilie:!
Shouldn't you really talk about all that stuff in Literature too?
Reply 4
Actually, come to think of it, you can talk about both in both Language and Lit.
Mr. Fox
Actually, come to think of it, you can talk about both in both Language and Lit.

Yeah I was reading the examiners report for my AS English Lit and apparently they hate it if you just narrate and dont discuss language and structure
Yes, you should talk about both in both exams...but more meaning and context in Lit, and more devices and language use in Lang.

And anyway, it makes sense: the Lit paper tests your understanding of LITERATURE and the Lang paper tests your interpretation of LANGUAGE.
Reply 7
Just go over all the poems. In nov/june 2004 in cluster 2, they asked 'Half Caste' and 'Not my Business'. Therefore, they won't have that as a named poem. However, you should still study them incase you want it to compare with the named poem. The cluster 2 question was about identity (june) and how the poems bring out the meaning in the poem (nov). Therefore, they won't ask those questions again.
anybody know where to get some notes for jus cluster 1 of poems from different cultures section?.......not that othr big site...(dnt know what its called)
need smt thats shorter in length.....their over the top detailed
Reply 9
It's good to talk about the philosophical implications. You can draw conclusions between the philosophies of the two poems and refer back to the question on identity, place, culture etc... :smile:
yo......rev site for poetry
so do we have to learn poems from both clusters or can we just learn one
Both.
Reply 13
Just one cluster surely (if I understand the use of the word cluster)?

For me my poems are Limbo, Nothings chaged, Island Man, Blessing, Vultures, What were they like?, the one about the people in cars and Nightr of the Scorpion. I think thats all.
i need poetry cultures revision material too... and any general tips? any for inform, explain, describe?
You learn one of the clusters, you don't need to learn both. I'm doing the limbo cluster.

I'm sure in both language and lit you'll have to link how language style and tructure portrays ideas shown in the texts, in lit it more about the feelings involves as well.
Reply 16
im just going to revise all the poems that we have been taught in class. i dont feel like revising but i have to.... grrr.....
Reply 17
what should i write about for each inform etc
Do you think Limbo and What were they like will be a named poem (in the actual question) ?

I really dont wanna revsie those 2 cos I think Limbo is just rubbish and What were they like - not done much on it so dont understand it fully.

Btw I think Ive asked this before but I cant remember, can you compare a poem from cluster 1 with one from cluster 2? Cheers.
Reply 19
erm... does anyone have any notes for 'Vultures' and 'Unrelated Incidents'? we have doen vultures but the notes are just vocab notes, and we havent done the unrelated incidents either!

if u dont have any then that doesnt matter.

much appreciated!!!

Latest