Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it normal to put on weight during your period. I know this sounds crazy but it'sd true. I put on up to 7lbs when I get my period. This varies and sometimes it's only a few lbs, but it's starting to piss me off coz obviously I don't feel like going out when I'm on my period. My tummy gets massively bloated when then when I weigh myself after my period has finished I'm back down to my normal weight.

Just wondering if this happens to anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think it's normal. All that extra blood has to weigh something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK)
    Is it normal to put on weight during your period. I know this sounds crazy but it'sd true. I put on up to 7lbs when I get my period. This varies and sometimes it's only a few lbs, but it's starting to piss me off coz obviously I don't feel like going out when I'm on my period. My tummy gets massively bloated when then when I weigh myself after my period has finished I'm back down to my normal weight.

Are you using the pill? Bloating can be a side effect of some types of the pill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Special Patrol)
    Are you using the pill? Bloating can be a side effect of some types of the pill.
    Yes I'm using the pill (microgynon 30) - it helps with the pain but not with the bloating. thanks i didn't know it was a side effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK)
    Yes I'm using the pill - it helps with the psin but not with the bloating. thanks i didn't know it was a side effect.
    I'm not sure if it is the pill causing it, I think most people get bloated and put weight on around that time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I'm not sure if it is the pill causing it, I think most people get bloated and put weight on around that time
    Yeah - I did before I went on the pill but the weight thing seems to have got worse since i went on the pill. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with it. The fact that being on my period makes me want to eat chocolate constantly might also have something to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I usually put on half a stone extra :eek: Makes me feel horrible because it's all in the tummy and I have to wrestle with my usually-loose jeans to do the top button up hehe. Anyway, not much I can do about it, might as well accept it! Actually it's probably a good thing - I've decided babies are a bad thing - imagine what 3 stone extra must feel like! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK)
    Yes I'm using the pill (microgynon 30) - it helps with the pain but not with the bloating. thanks i didn't know it was a side effect.
    http://1meds.com/Microgynon.html?PHP...187a6c43214b1e
    More common side effects

* Abdominal cramping or bloating; acne (usually less common after first 3 months and may improve if acne already exists); breast pain, tenderness, or swelling; dizziness; nausea; swelling of ankles and feet; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomiting

Did you experience the bloating that badly before you went on the pill? If not it would be reasonable to assume that it's a side effect of your pill and you should talk to your doctor about changing brands. Bloating that much is not really a minor side effect and you don't necessarily have to put up with it! There are lots of other brands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK)
    Yeah - I did before I went on the pill but the weight thing seems to have got worse since i went on the pill. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with it. The fact that being on my period makes me want to eat chocolate constantly might also have something to do with it.
    Lol...ooh chocolate. I have a jaffa cake yoghurt downstairs that I'm trying to resist eating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK)

i always get bloated during mine. and my normally flat belly looks like i have been drinking beer for my whole life. it is normal for some people but other are lucky enough to stay the same..

ReputationRep:
    hey i have a weird question.. can girls have sex during their period?

ReputationRep:
    http://1meds.com/Microgynon.html?PHP...187a6c43214b1e
    More common side effects

* Abdominal cramping or bloating; acne (usually less common after first 3 months and may improve if acne already exists); breast pain, tenderness, or swelling; dizziness; nausea; swelling of ankles and feet; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomiting

Did you experience the bloating that badly before you went on the pill? If not it would be reasonable to assume that it's a side effect of your pill and you should talk to your doctor about changing brands. Bloating that much is not really a minor side effect and you don't necessarily have to put up with it! There are lots of other brands.
    The bloating was pretty bad before. It's just really complicated going to the doctor at the mo because i registered with my uni student practice so i can't go to the doctor back home anymore so i get my pill from the family planning clinic down here. they can't change what pill i'm on without me going to the doctor can they? which is now 280 miles away! hehe. oh well think i'll just put up with it till sept and then explore different types pf pill. thanks for your help everyone, just feeling very podgy and down at the mo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hameedtarin)
    hey i have a weird question.. can girls have sex during their period?
    lol yeah, but its not too pleasant cos u get blood all over the place. *puts on voice of responsible adult* and remember, there is still a risk of pregnancy from sexual intercourse during menstruation, always use a condom. lol

I read somewhere that the average weight gain during the 2 weeks during/before periods is 2lb (not including weight gained from bingeing from cravings). But cravings also dont help. But during the week after your periods, you should naturally lose weight, so it balances it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grapefruit_girl)
    lol yeah, but its not too pleasant cos u get blood all over the place. *puts on voice of responsible adult* and remember, there is still a risk of pregnancy from sexual intercourse during menstruation, always use a condom. lol

Thanx.. I will keep that in mind :cool: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, i've heard it's pretty usual to put on around 1/2 a stone - thats 7lbs i think :confused: - around that time. I know it tends to happen to me just before...

Apparantly it's because your brain tells your body to store extra water so you don't get dehydrated during your period!

ReputationRep:
    Yasmin has a diuretic effect to fix the problem of water retention however it's quite different from other pills and is not suitable for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Yasmin has a diuretic effect to fix the problem of water retention however it's quite different from other pills and is not suitable for everyone.
    i always put on weight before my period! it makes me feel really bad, but i always loose it shortly afterwards! why us woman eh?

ReputationRep:
    I've never noticed a correlation between my weight fluctuation and time of the month, but you've got me interested - I'll be on the scales a lot in the next few weeks!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I think its completly normal.
    I fluctuate within like 6lbs at different times of the month, but mostly its my boobs that seem to get bigger!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK)
    agh I was on that and it made my boobs swell up something awful! has that happened to anyone else on this pill/any others?

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.