Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkymonkey)
    JP's is of campus, but very close to the union. It depends what course you are on.....if you are business or human sciences, JP is ok, as they are all at the union end of campus.

anything else and you'll have quite a walk on your hands every morning!
    I dont think its off campus. lolly_polly you can have a look at map where exactly its situated...btw what you gonna study?
    I'll be doing Management Sciences and business School is just 10 mins walk from JP.
    But i would rather like to know more about the hall itself and facilities avaiable close to hall rather than its distance from other departments, as everything seems to be around VIllage Park

ReputationRep:
    John Philips IS off campus....it's just behind William Morris. It's the small self-catered hall. Most ppl like Telford coz its in "student village" (where all the halls are....ie. Cayley, Royce, Faraday etc) but JP is quite nice. It's quite new (hence it being small) I've never been in a JP flat but it has a common room and laundry room. I hear its similar to Harry French (which I've stayed at for 2 years and going back again this year) You'll probably share a floor with 5 to 7 other ppl, with a bathroom and a kitchen (you might have a extra shower). Rules of accodation....if you're wanting Self Catered, then the worst place you can end up is Falkner/Eggington - that's where most ppl end up if they don't get their choices. It's not bad but it is dubbed the GHETTO of Self-Catered Halls. If you're looking for Catered then the "GHETTO" is Elvyn Richards (which is convenient for engineers and its next to library). I haven't been to many catered halls either...but I do think that Cayley is quite nice room wise. I like Towers for the seventies bahaus structure (and the *coffin* shaped rooms are quite big....just a bummer when you have fire-alarm practice drills - you have to walk down the stairs!!!) If you're a classic then Hazelrigg/Rutland will give you a nice Harry Potter feel. Rooms are quite big but I'm not too keen on big shower/toilet rooms. The halls spirit of Rigg/Rut is also very strong as they're quite a small comunity too!

Hope my opinions have eased you (and not scared you off)...Anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask!!!

Z

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akira_Shinoda)
    If you're looking for Catered then the "GHETTO" is Elvyn Richards (which is convenient for engineers and its next to library). Z
    hehe, soo true!

ReputationRep:
    Hope my opinions have eased you (and not scared you off)...Anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask!!!

Z
    That was indeed helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibashuk)
    Telford is quite heavy subscribed from what I understand because it is the only self-catered hall in Village Park (and village park is definately where you want to be!!). I think I am right in saying that anyway. So basically if you have your heart set on being in self-catered then apply for all the self catered halls because I know a lot of people who didnt get into their first choice, unfortunately.

Both halls are in a good loaction. On a social side I think Telford has more of a hall spirit than royce, though thats only from what i have picked up. I think a lot of residents are sportspeople (because they need to watch their diet and have training commitments etc). Telford have quite old buildings, though I have never been inside so can't comment on the room size.

A lot of Royce has been renovated recently, these blocks can be found in the lower part of village park along with the new Faraday blocks. The rooms in the new Royce blocks are huge! Definately the biggest room I have seen (Rutherford being the smallest!) I think all the new ones are the ensuite rooms but i might be wrong. Again good location and has nice little green spaces round it with picnic benches and stuff. Though, community spirit is less prominent here I think. I think they share their dining hall with someone else, possibly Rutherford.

Hope that helps. I'm in Elvyn Richards btw.

you obviously didn't see a falk-egg room! can't complain tho, i loved it there. you in a house now, or staying in elyvn?

If anyone wants an opinion on falk-egg, it's fantastic, being away from the other halls creates a unique environment, it's got a great social life, and the freshers week is packed full of great stuff (plus i'll be freshers helper for anyone going there next year). The committee have a great team, and the hall chair is a great guy. It's cheap, but it's definately a self-catered hall worth thinking about, because it saves you money, has a quality social life, and is one of the largest halls on campus (excluding elvyn because thats just stupidly big) so there'll always be someone around to say hello to.

if anyone wants to talk to any of the committee or check out more info about my hall from last year see http://www.falk-egg.com

ReputationRep:
    John Philips IS off campus....it's just behind William Morris. It's the small self-catered hall. Most ppl like Telford coz its in "student village" (where all the halls are....ie. Cayley, Royce, Faraday etc) but JP is quite nice. It's quite new (hence it being small) I've never been in a JP flat but it has a common room and laundry room. I hear its similar to Harry French (which I've stayed at for 2 years and going back again this year) You'll probably share a floor with 5 to 7 other ppl, with a bathroom and a kitchen (you might have a extra shower). Rules of accodation....if you're wanting Self Catered, then the worst place you can end up is Falkner/Eggington - that's where most ppl end up if they don't get their choices. It's not bad but it is dubbed the GHETTO of Self-Catered Halls. If you're looking for Catered then the "GHETTO" is Elvyn Richards (which is convenient for engineers and its next to library). I haven't been to many catered halls either...but I do think that Cayley is quite nice room wise. I like Towers for the seventies bahaus structure (and the *coffin* shaped rooms are quite big....just a bummer when you have fire-alarm practice drills - you have to walk down the stairs!!!) If you're a classic then Hazelrigg/Rutland will give you a nice Harry Potter feel. Rooms are quite big but I'm not too keen on big shower/toilet rooms. The halls spirit of Rigg/Rut is also very strong as they're quite a small comunity too!

Z

haha, my point exactly from above, anyone who didn't live in this hall doesn't realise how good a hall falk-egg really is. It's the sort of crap you have to put up with from ignorant people that don't actually have an understanding about it:P

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I missed my grades but still got accepted into Loughborough. However it hasn't been confirmed as I have to send them my grades (happening first thing tomorrow). Does anyone know how badly it will affect my chances of getting accomadation? (really want self catered).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazyangel)
    Does anyone know how badly it will affect my chances of getting accomadation? (really want self catered).
    There are only 5 self-catered halls....Harry French (where I've been for last million years), Telford, John Philips, Falk-Egg and The Holt.

Most people opt for Telford because its in the *village* on campus. The choice you're mostly given if your 3 choices are not accepted is Falk-Egg as its cheap and basic (and it'll be the one you get if there are still places left). Out of the 5, The Holt is the more expensive but the rooms are bigger (but its off campus), you could try asking accomodation services over the phone about it as an option if you're interested. If all those fail, then they are most likey to offer you catered halls (the bottom of the list again is Elyn Richards)...

Good Luck and welcome to Loughborough!!!

Z

ReputationRep:

Z
    Thanks, it was pure torture today. Waited 2 hrs for them to call back, only to tell me they didn't have my grades! :eek: Spent another hour searching for someone in college that would give me a copy of my results. Finally they got back to me at 4 (I started calling at 10am) to say I would get in once they could confirm my grades. I applied to the Holt as my first choice. Guess I'll try and call tomorrow. Hopefully it will go a whole lot smoother then today.

ReputationRep:
    There are only 5 self-catered halls....Harry French (where I've been for last million years), Telford, John Philips, Falk-Egg and The Holt.

Most people opt for Telford because its in the *village* on campus. The choice you're mostly given if your 3 choices are not accepted is Falk-Egg as its cheap and basic (and it'll be the one you get if there are still places left). Out of the 5, The Holt is the more expensive but the rooms are bigger (but its off campus), you could try asking accomodation services over the phone about it as an option if you're interested. If all those fail, then they are most likey to offer you catered halls (the bottom of the list again is Elyn Richards)...

Z
    I put Telford as my 1st choice and another self catered as me 2nd (phillips i think!) but ive been offered elvyn richards which is catered and £40 more!!!
    Im gonna ave 2 accept it so please tell me elvyn richards is a good hall 2 be in!!

ReputationRep:
    i chose telford and got folk-egg......... hall. without a washhand basin. i so wanted one too. dman lufbra cant offer their students their 1st choice

ReputationRep:
    i didnt realise how over subscribed it would be until i applied for telford. they should realise this and make more self catered, en suites! hehe! I'm in Rutherford is that any good?

ReputationRep:
    Rutherford is good. My mate was there last year - the rooms are quite spacious! it was my third choice. Im in Hazlerigg/Rutland

ReputationRep:
    i have been given a shared bedroom in BUTLER COURT and i have no idea what they look like! im a really light sleeper and i have no chance if the person im sharing with is noisy. i need to see what the room is like but i cant find any pictures or descriptions of it. to see it i will have to go there and its an hour and a half journey :confused! if anyone knows where i can find any or has any please please please get in touch! thanks xxx

ReputationRep:
    http://accommodation.lboro.ac.uk/hal...php?hall_id=1# butler court, but dont show pix of the rooms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shai)
    i have been given a shared bedroom in BUTLER COURT and i have no idea what they look like!
    Ah...Butler's normally where athletes and sports people are

Z

ReputationRep:
    i have been given a shared bedroom in BUTLER COURT and i have no idea what they look like!
    I am on the committee for Butler Court this year. Butler Court, at first, takes a bit of getting used to.
    I remember this time last year when I was offered my place there and you start thinking of all the worst case scenarios. All my worries vanished by the end of the first day. Because of the proximity of everyone in Butler it has a very good hall spirit, possibly one of the best. A lot of people would count their roommate as one of their best friends at university. Imago (Accommodation Services) do try to match you with someone who they feel you should get along with.
    The rooms aren't huge but there's definitely enough room for two people to live in without bumping in to each other all the time.
    As for the sleeping part...maybe bring ear plugs?!?!

Look forward to welcoming you to the hall in September!!

ReputationRep:
    Is There Anyway Anyone Could Describe A Shared Room In Butler Court To Me? E.g. Is It Square With A Bed On Either Side So People Can See Each Other Or Is There Some Privacy?? Im Really Confused!

ReputationRep:
    Hey im a LUSAD student about to join and go into towers in east park, but i read on the lboro site that you aren't allowed guests to stay in your room at all! is this true? i mean if i wanted someone to come stay with me a night or two would that not be ok? do they check the rooms (if it is in fact not allowed)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punkjunkie04)
    Hey im a LUSAD student about to join and go into towers in east park, but i read on the lboro site that you aren't allowed guests to stay in your room at all! is this true? i mean if i wanted someone to come stay with me a night or two would that not be ok? do they check the rooms (if it is in fact not allowed)?
    OMG....I've finally found a LUSAD Fresher!!! What you studying?

Of course they say you're not allowed coz it'd be bad for someone to live there extensive sharing with you and I guess its something to do with insurance (I think)!!! :rolleyes: Many people have mates from home who stay over for weekends or if you've pulled you'll have extra company :p: So it is OK for people to stay over as long as it doesn't affect others.

Z

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.