MadRabbit2009
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Generally, which university do you think is more reputable? Which university looks more attractive? The only similarity I can see is both have crap to almost non-existent student union. Which has more international students?
kate03
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
York but I know it much better than Durham. Durham's also a fab uni, you can't go wrong with either of them
MadRabbit2009
Rep:
?
"I've just finished my first year as an undergraduate (Environment Dept.) and I won't be going back for a second.

I could make an enormous list of my complaints, but I'll keep this short and sweet.

The Good:
- Accommodation
- The City
- Decent Reputation

The Bad:
- Nightlife
- Student Union/Societies
- Rubbish access to shops

The Ugly:
- Non-existant support network
- Awful teaching quality
- Administration tell lies

In short, York isn't a bad uni if everything magically falls into place, and if you don't mind entertaining yourself. Just cross your fingers that you never have any problems. Want to talk to your supervisor? Not possible. Having problems with accommodation? Tough. Struggling with depression because you've been forced to live in halls with foreign students twice your age who won't talk to you? Commuting 90 miles a day because you've moved out as a result? Missing from lectures for 3 months with no word from university other than a letter demanding imaginary fees?

Welcome to York. "

LOLZ! I CAN'T FIND SOMETHING NEGATIVE AS THIS FOR DURHAM!
xbuttercupx
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Durham seemed great on the open day I went to. There seemed to be lots of banter between the different colleges and there was lots going on - lots of activities and sports etc that you could get involved in. Personally I think Durham is a more attractive Uni. York is better for pubs but then it could be argued Durham is much closer to Newcastle which has a great nightlife.

If you're choosing a uni for next year I think it's so important that you go and visit them! The first time I went to York I loved it but then I ended up picking Durham over York because when I went back to York it just did not appeal to me at all.
Lell
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
York is a better city but Durham is a better uni experience IMO (live in York, went to Durham)
Kinsula
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think York is quite an ugly Uni - everything is very square, bleak and grey.
Durham on the other hand looks very pretty, with traditional and modern buildings mixed together and a nice river running through the middle with plenty of greenery.
But that's just my opinion.
Brady Boy
Report 11 years ago
I went to look at both uni's for open days and generally thought they were both nice. However, York uni is in a nice spot but has horrid 70's buildings.

I have currently got an offer to study at york next month but am considering taking a gap year and applying to Durham. Anyone have any views on what i should do?
MadRabbit2009
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kinsula)
I think York is quite an ugly Uni - everything is very square, bleak and grey.
Durham on the other hand looks very pretty, with traditional and modern buildings mixed together and a nice river running through the middle with plenty of greenery.
But that's just my opinion.
From online photos both Durham and York have plenty of grass and trees. I see lots of duck wiggling their bums in both lakes. Is it illegal to catch and fry a duck?
Kinsula
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MadRabbit2009)
From online photos both Durham and York have plenty of grass and trees. I see lots of duck wiggling their bums in both lakes. Is it illegal to catch and fry a duck?
Not if no one catches you
jonny1403
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
what subject?
megaduck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is it illegal to catch and fry a duck?
Oi!
so_fetch
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"I've just finished my first year as an undergraduate (Environment Dept.) and I won't be going back for a second.

I could make an enormous list of my complaints, but I'll keep this short and sweet.

The Good:
- Accommodation
- The City
- Decent Reputation

The Bad:
- Nightlife
- Student Union/Societies
- Rubbish access to shops

The Ugly:
- Non-existant support network
- Awful teaching quality
- Administration tell lies

In short, York isn't a bad uni if everything magically falls into place, and if you don't mind entertaining yourself. Just cross your fingers that you never have any problems. Want to talk to your supervisor? Not possible. Having problems with accommodation? Tough. Struggling with depression because you've been forced to live in halls with foreign students twice your age who won't talk to you? Commuting 90 miles a day because you've moved out as a result? Missing from lectures for 3 months with no word from university other than a letter demanding imaginary fees?

Welcome to York. "

LOLZ! I CAN'T FIND SOMETHING NEGATIVE AS THIS FOR DURHAM!
:eek: omg i plan to go to study at York this year, is it really that horrible?
Brady Boy
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jonny1403)
what subject?
Hi,

Think your question was aimed at me. The subject i am interested in studying is law! Any ideas on what i should do?
Schmaris
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by so_fetch)
:eek: omg i plan to go to study at York this year, is it really that horrible?
Its one person, one experience. They could've had bad things happen, they could have a negative outlook on everything, who knows? The only way to know if you like the place is to go visit it.

Durham is a very good university - although cliquey I think there's something for everyone. Courses are also very well taught (according to my friend).

It is rather more attractive looking than York, but its a stupid reason not to go to the uni because you don't like the buildings. With York university being in Green belt land - 75% of it is not developed and there is plenty of grass and trees and woods around, to counteract the vaguely alien looking buildings hehe.

The most important thing is to go with an open mind because partly your experience will rely on how you go about things - if you want an amazing experience, you have to make it yourself (if you know what I mean). If you stay in your room all the time then thats going to be rubbish!

I'm really lucky to be going to university, and I am so grateful to York for being so friendly and helpful - and the teaching standards are second to none, particularly in contact time and supervision
so_fetch
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Schmaris)
Its one person, one experience. They could've had bad things happen, they could have a negative outlook on everything, who knows? The only way to know if you like the place is to go visit it.

Durham is a very good university - although cliquey I think there's something for everyone. Courses are also very well taught (according to my friend).

It is rather more attractive looking than York, but its a stupid reason not to go to the uni because you don't like the buildings. With York university being in Green belt land - 75% of it is not developed and there is plenty of grass and trees and woods around, to counteract the vaguely alien looking buildings hehe.

The most important thing is to go with an open mind because partly your experience will rely on how you go about things - if you want an amazing experience, you have to make it yourself (if you know what I mean). If you stay in your room all the time then thats going to be rubbish!

I'm really lucky to be going to university, and I am so grateful to York for being so friendly and helpful - and the teaching standards are second to none, particularly in contact time and supervision
i suppose you're right yeh ... thanks
Trouser Snake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
York is amazing, I graduated last year and decided I wanted to live here, so I am.

Here are the plus points for York:

Highly regarded Uni.
A degree from The University of York goes a long way.
There's a lot of ducks on the grounds, of many different varieties.
York is a beautiful city with so much history, every building has an epic story behind it.
It's the second most visited city in Britain, after London.
There are a lot of really good restaurants.
It's a small city so you hardly need any transport to get around it.
If you wish to do so you could go to a different bar/pub every day for the whole year, it has that many.
Club wise it's ok, has a few but Leeds is just 20min on the train away.
York has the lowest chav levels of any city.
It has a very good collection of shops.
It's low in crime compared to many other cities.
I live in it.
jonny1403
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Brady Boy)
Hi,

Think your question was aimed at me. The subject i am interested in studying is law! Any ideas on what i should do?

in that case its easy, from an academic standard and employment prospects durham wins hands down.
lazzyfuzzylou
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey - I know that the OP's dilemma has been solved because of the subject they want to do, but I thought I'd just post in case anyone else was reading this.

I'm about to start my second year at York (History) and I just wanted to say that I absolutely love it. The main gist of this thread seems to be that it's 'ugly' - this REALLY does not matter when you're at uni. It's not as if it affects your learning or the amount of activities on offer, and it certainly doesn't affect student spirit - in fact, it's kind of the opposite. We know that where we live looks a little like a 70s nightmare and that gives everyone something to bond over! It's also strangely beautiful in the snow or in the sun. Plus, you don't live on campus in 2nd and 3rd year so you get to live nearer to, or in, the beautiful, beautiful city.

College spirit at York is really well-established and we can definitely rival Durham for that, I think. Durham have a slightly better sports reputation, but because we don't take sport too seriously at York it makes it really fun and inclusive - there's something for everyone - and when one of our teams does really well, like the rugby team getting promoted last year, everyone's behind them.

York has a great reputation for lots of subjects - History, Maths, Sciences and English especially, and is also a developing uni - work has started on our new campus which is going to double the size of the existing campus, and it's all modern and shiny and beautiful.

I guess I just wanted to stand up for the uni that has given me one of the best years of my life - hope this helps!
MadRabbit2009
Rep:
?
(Original post by lazzyfuzzylou)
Hey - I know that the OP's dilemma has been solved because of the subject they want to do, but I thought I'd just post in case anyone else was reading this.

I'm about to start my second year at York (History) and I just wanted to say that I absolutely love it. The main gist of this thread seems to be that it's 'ugly' - this REALLY does not matter when you're at uni. It's not as if it affects your learning or the amount of activities on offer, and it certainly doesn't affect student spirit - in fact, it's kind of the opposite. We know that where we live looks a little like a 70s nightmare and that gives everyone something to bond over! It's also strangely beautiful in the snow or in the sun. Plus, you don't live on campus in 2nd and 3rd year so you get to live nearer to, or in, the beautiful, beautiful city.

College spirit at York is really well-established and we can definitely rival Durham for that, I think. Durham have a slightly better sports reputation, but because we don't take sport too seriously at York it makes it really fun and inclusive - there's something for everyone - and when one of our teams does really well, like the rugby team getting promoted last year, everyone's behind them.

York has a great reputation for lots of subjects - History, Maths, Sciences and English especially, and is also a developing uni - work has started on our new campus which is going to double the size of the existing campus, and it's all modern and shiny and beautiful.

I guess I just wanted to stand up for the uni that has given me one of the best years of my life - hope this helps!
I was going to study at Newcastle University but the admins gave me an attitude just for asking some questions. They've put me off with their unfriendliness. I swear I heard that **** of an admin laugh at me. That's their idea of professionalism! Now I'm thinking of either York or Durham.

I went to York and there's huge ducks everywhere! Not just on the human contructed lake but also at parks. I love peking duck so I'm in favor of York...

But is it true York University has THE HIGHEST suicidal rate in all of UK?
Schmaris
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was going to study at Newcastle University but the admins gave me an attitude just for asking some questions. They've put me off with their unfriendliness. I swear I heard that **** of an admin laugh at me. That's their idea of professionalism! Now I'm thinking of either York or Durham.

I went to York and there's huge ducks everywhere! Not just on the human contructed lake but also at parks. I love peking duck so I'm in favor of York...

But is it true York University has THE HIGHEST suicidal rate in all of UK?

If you kill a duck, you get kicked out of university. :p:

York is so friendly, lots of nice people!

I hadn't heard that the suicide rate was the highest! But which university has the highest assault rate, the highest murder rate?

Plus suicidal people may have so many other reasons, I don't think York itself is THAT bad haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (423)
56.4%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.6%

Watched Threads