Can you call the police on someone who has a loud exhaust? Watch

This discussion is closed.
DanielNewton
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello, I’m not trying to be blanch off corrie here but…

Recently a man (yes he’s about 30) down my street has got a new car; it’s a reno Clio but he’s got one of them stupid bloody exhausts that make a stupid amount of noise when he drives past my house, there is also a long stretch of road that leads up to my estate and you can hear him revving the knackers off that shed all the way up there.

Every time he goes past (sometimes 2 or 3’oclock in the morning) it wakes up myself, my brother, and my baby sister who starts crying, it’s so loud that it sets of my dads car alarm if it’s left on! (So we have to turn our car alarm off at night!)

Every time I see him go past during the day I can see other neighbours giving him the eye so it’s obviously waking them up as well, but for god sake it’s a Clio with blacked out windows and a pathetic spoiler and a huge idiotic loud exhaust (he looks like such a TWA*)

He also drives it like a right idiot, he tried to overtake my mom the other day on the long stretch of road but unfortunately for him she’s got a Range Rover Sport and wiped the floor with him, but I mean WTF? As if he stood a chance against any car in that thing so why bother? (These goons seem to think that putting a stupid exhaust on makes there sheds better than any other car)

Is there anyway I can make a complaint agonised this tit (If so for what)?
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you can catch the reg plate, the police can go check it out. "A Renault Clio" is a bit vague :P

Exhaust modifications that are specifically designed to increase noise are illegal, but if the police stopped everyone on the road who had one then they'd be so busy doing it that "real crime" would be ignored. However, if you catch what the reg is, give it to the police and they'll sort him out. You don't have to make a specific charge - the police will do that if they find out that his mod is illegal. Realistically he'll probably be cautioned/fined and sent on his way.

And before you ask, yes I hate boy racers as well.
CombineHarvester
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If it's after 11pm you can I think. Disturbing the peace or something.
DanielNewton
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
If you can catch the reg plate, the police can go check it out. "A Renault Clio" is a bit vague :P

Exhaust modifications that are specifically designed to increase noise are illegal, but if the police stopped everyone on the road who had one then they'd be so busy doing it that "real crime" would be ignored. However, if you catch what the reg is, give it to the police and they'll sort him out. You don't have to make a specific charge - the police will do that if they find out that his mod is illegal. Realistically he'll probably be cautioned/fined and sent on his way.

And before you ask, yes I hate boy racers as well.
Vague? its just a daft little run-arround like http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_Phase_II.JPG

God I know, I hate boy racers, but hes 30 :mad:
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DanielNewton)
Vague? its just a daft little run-arround like http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_Phase_II.JPG

God I know, I hate boy racers, but hes 30 :mad:
I know, but what I meant was that there are many, many Renault Clios on the roads
Meagz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's a tricky one, because there is no set legal db limit for car exhausts on the road.
You should call the police and get them to check the car (as it's down to the policeman's discretion whether or not it's too loud). The person can actually be fined for it.

Source: Google.
trixiebell
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
God those exhausts are so annoying... and look so stupid...

just stick a potato in it
BillyPilgrim
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
he tried to overtake my mom the other day on the long stretch of road but unfortunately for him she’s got a Range Rover Sport and wiped the floor with him, but I mean WTF?
Actually your mam is a *****. If he went to overtake (OVERTAKE OMG!) on a long stretch of straight road he was perfectly in his rights to do so, he obviously chose the long stretch so that it was safe, but your stupid mam in her pointless range rover accelerated making to overtake unsafe.

Overtaking is not dangerous, stopping people from overtaking and leaving them on the wrong side of the road for longer is stupid and extremely dangerous.

Your mam is probably on of those stupid *****es who feels too safe in her tank, and so drives like a **** who thinks they own the road.
Nick_000
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BillyPilgrim)
Actually your mam is a *****. If he went to overtake (OVERTAKE OMG!) on a long stretch of straight road he was perfectly in his rights to do so, he obviously chose the long stretch so that it was safe, but your stupid mam in her pointless range rover accelerated making to overtake unsafe.

Overtaking is not dangerous, stopping people from overtaking and leaving them on the wrong side of the road for longer is stupid and extremely dangerous.

Your mam is probably on of those stupid *****es who feels too safe in her tank, and so drives like a **** who thinks they own the road.
Not if his mam was doing the speed limit and he still tried to overtake :rolleyes:

OP, I think you can. I got some grief from the bobbies when I was 16 because my moped engine was too loud... I think he was a bit bored though and had nothing better to do. When I enquired about the legalities of this issue he didn't say much and just muttered it was too loud. No action was taken.
fabulous_darling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ugh, these exhausts should be banned. People use them to intimidate other road users and when they drive around in them in the early hours it's just so inconsiderate. OP, I'd definitely report the owner to the police. Also, maybe you should try and get your neighbours to report him.
timmo541
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello, I’m not trying to be blanch off corrie here but…

Recently a man (yes he’s about 30) down my street has got a new car; it’s a reno Clio but he’s got one of them stupid bloody exhausts that make a stupid amount of noise when he drives past my house, there is also a long stretch of road that leads up to my estate and you can hear him revving the knackers off that shed all the way up there.

Every time he goes past (sometimes 2 or 3’oclock in the morning) it wakes up myself, my brother, and my baby sister who starts crying, it’s so loud that it sets of my dads car alarm if it’s left on! (So we have to turn our car alarm off at night!)

Every time I see him go past during the day I can see other neighbours giving him the eye so it’s obviously waking them up as well, but for god sake it’s a Clio with blacked out windows and a pathetic spoiler and a huge idiotic loud exhaust (he looks like such a TWA*)

He also drives it like a right idiot, he tried to overtake my mom the other day on the long stretch of road but unfortunately for him she’s got a Range Rover Sport and wiped the floor with him, but I mean WTF? As if he stood a chance against any car in that thing so why bother? (These goons seem to think that putting a stupid exhaust on makes there sheds better than any other car)

Is there anyway I can make a complaint agonised this tit (If so for what)?
Having a Range Rover Sport doesn't automatically mean slower cars physically cannot overtake it.
DanielNewton
Rep:
?

ACHUALLY my mam was in a car accident last year when one of these boy racers went into the back of her trying to undertake another car, she was nearly left paralised.

A Range Rover is the only car she feels safe in.

and FYI it might be a long stretch of road but there are only two thin lanes and a car was comming in the other lane, if this idiot had overtaken he could have crashed into the other car (HEAD ON OMG!), so my mam keeping him behind her could have saved the family on the other side of the roads lives.

THINK BEFORE YOU POST :mad:
BillyPilgrim
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nick_000)
Not if his mam was doing the speed limit and he still tried to overtake :rolleyes:

OP, I think you can. I got some grief from the bobbies when I was 16 because my moped engine was too loud... I think he was a bit bored though and had nothing better to do. When I enquired about the legalities of this issue he didn't say much and just muttered it was too loud. No action was took.

You don't know that for one. And another thing, even if he was going over the speed limit, I would rather someone overtaking was doing over the speed limit to limit the amount of time he was on the wrong side of the road.
But no, some **** in a rang rover thinks she will put people on the other side of the road at risk by not letting him overtake.
inspiringyoungpeople
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Just stick in a bannana lol, who's gonna notice.
Nick_000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You don't know that for one. And another thing, even if he was going over the speed limit, I would rather someone overtaking was doing over the speed limit to limit the amount of time he was on the wrong side of the road.
But no, some **** in a rang rover thinks she will put people on the other side of the road at risk by not letting him overtake.
I had some nupty in a clio a few days ago tailing me trying to overtake despite me going fast enough (not saying how fast :ninja:). He tried to overtake with his hairdryer engine and couldn't even get up to my top speed :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have let him overtake anyway though. Why? Because he was a ****.
BillyPilgrim
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ACHUALLY my mam was in a car accident last year when one of these boy racers went into the back of her trying to over take another car, she was nearly left paralised.

A Range Rover is the only car she feels safe in.

and FYI it might be a long stretch of road but there are only two thin lanes and a car was comming in the other lane, if this idiot had overtaken he could have crashed into the other car, so my mam keeping him behind her could have saved the family on the other side of the roads lives.

THINK BEFORE YOU POST :mad:

Well if she only feels safe by driving a huge car, then she should drive it properly and not keep the guy on the wrong side of the road.

Her accelerating, and keeping him on the other side was putting this family at more risk. (Is the saved family there just to throw abit of emotion into the mix)

Also sorry about your mam's crash it's not nice for anyone a crash.

People need to stop taking overtaking as a personal insult, and it is especially annoying if someone is going very slow for conditions, you want to go faster, move out to overtake and they floor it. It is unsafe, and also just odd, why not just drive that fast to begin with?
Nick_000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If he's a neighbour, can't you ask him to be slightly more considerate? Post him a letter signed by many residents.
DanielNewton
Rep:
?
(Original post by timmo541)
Having a Range Rover Sport doesn't automatically mean slower cars physically cannot overtake it.
That's not what i meant, i wasent showing off, here is a better example of what i ment;

if you are in a clio and a farrari was in front of you, you wouldent try to overtake it becouse you know that you would stand no chance if the driver put there foot down, so why bother?
BillyPilgrim
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nick_000)
I had some nupty in a clio a few days ago tailing me trying to overtake despite me going fast enough (not saying how fast :ninja:). He tried to overtake with his hairdryer engine and couldn't even get up to my top speed :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have let him overtake anyway though. Why? Because he was a ****.
So you are the kind of **** who takes being overtaken as an insult if it is by a slower car?
Nick_000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So you are the kind of **** who takes being overtaken as an insult if it is by a slower car?
No. I'm the kind of **** who'll speed up when some tosser is tailing him and make a point of not letting him overtake.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads