Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A quote from my dads parents (in cockney accent):

"Whol do you remember when we driving through Mainchesteeer and we got lost Moss Side? We have to actually ask a black man to help us fine the way"

She said it as if the black man was alian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    "do you remember when we driving through Mainchesteeer and we got lost Moss Side?
    Getting lost in Moss Side is sooooooo not a good idea! Not for any racist reasons - its just very rough! lol
    x x

ReputationRep:
    I think if someone's English mother was talking **** on Scotland there'd be more of an uproar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Thats not exactly racist, more patriotic.

England sucks
    =\
    England rules! Gunna win the World CUp!

ReputationRep:
    So discriminating against a certain group of people purely based on their nationality is not racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey Tautou)
    So discriminating against a certain group of people purely based on their nationality is not racist?
    Not if they're the same race as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helen_catherine)
    Getting lost in Moss Side is sooooooo not a good idea! Not for any racist reasons - its just very rough! lol
    x x
    Do you spend a lot of time in Moss Side then? I do I go through it everyday on the 86 bus, its much safer than a lot of places, its just gets over hyped due to riots.

I will happily walk through Moss Side flashing my mobile phone and not know I won't get mugged, I cannot say the same for Salford or parts of Fallowfield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Do you spend a lot of time in Moss Side then? I do I go through it everyday on the 86 bus, its much safer than a lot of places, its just gets over hyped due to riots.

I will happily walk through Moss Side flashing my mobile phone and not know I won't get mugged, I cannot say the same for Salford or parts of Fallowfield
    Yeh, my college is near it and I go through it if I'm going to town. To be fair, it is much better than it used to be and I agree that I'd feel safer there than in Salford! (that might just be because I don't know Salford) I don't think I'd flash my phone though, I know too many people who have been mugged.
    x x

ReputationRep:
    Not if they're the same race as you.
    It all depends on how you perceive 'race'.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=race

"1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
    2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.
    3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
    4. Humans considered as a group"

I myself consider bad mouthing someone on the basis of their nationality to be a racist act.

i ****ing love being English! Proud to be English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey Tautou)
    It all depends on how you perceive 'race'.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=race

"1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
    2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.
    3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
    4. Humans considered as a group"

I myself consider bad mouthing someone on the basis of their nationality to be a racist act.
    I still say it can't be racist if you are the same race - I agree its not a nice thing but its not racism. Its gingoism or woteva the word is that i can't say or spell!
    x x

ReputationRep:
    Once me and my mum were talking about my friend, and she said "Has he got a girlfriend?" and i replied "Mum, hes gay." (god knows how she didn't realise) she then starts ranting about how shes glad i'm normal!!! I was really shocked, but i suppose she did grow up in a very conservative family, eugh, i've always disliked homophobes tho...

ReputationRep:
    I still say it can't be racist if you are the same race - I agree its not a nice thing but its not racism. Its gingoism or woteva the word is that i can't say or spell!
    x x
    No but what you mean is "same colour" and same colour does not= same race.

ReputationRep:
    the word you are looking for is xenophobia, i believe.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever it's called, it can't possibly do any good for anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Thats not exactly racist, more patriotic.

England sucks
    I know england sucks

..and if your mum was racist she would have been insulting colours of skin and ethnic origin etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiron)
    No but what you mean is "same colour" and same colour does not= same race.
    I actually meant same culture etc. Theres much more to race than colour but if you look at the Scots and the English culture is pretty much the same. What racial differences do you think there are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KdySk8rGirl)
    I just saw a side of my mum that Ive never seen before, she was talking about the world cup and how England are going through but Scotland might not and she said "They cant be better than us, thier English". And she proceeded to rant about how the English are this and that. What has happened to her? I nevr thought she felt that way.
    That is xenophobia..not racism REALLY... :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by af1)
    the word you are looking for is xenophobia, i believe.
    INDEED IT IS!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KdySk8rGirl)
    I just saw a side of my mum that Ive never seen before, she was talking about the world cup and how England are going through but Scotland might not and she said "They cant be better than us, thier English". And she proceeded to rant about how the English are this and that. What has happened to her? I nevr thought she felt that way.
    This seems serious. Call your local police station first, then when the men in white coats come, tell them the exact same thing you told us here.

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.