The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you do more miles in the car than your dad then YOU are the main driver and need a policy in your name to be legal.

Insurance companys are not stupid.

Also if you bought the car and your the registered keeper then you are simply asking for trouble if you try any insurance fronting scams. Same if you keep the car near your uni and live a considerable distance from uni as you will be screwed by the growing ANPR system which insurance companys DO have access to for crime prevention purposes - insurance fraud being a crime.

Information sharing is more widespread than you think!!!

Just accept the fact that as a new driver you are statistically a bloody liability and hence you have to pay for it!!! You need to build noclaims bonus eventually!
Cj-Tj
How do you mean "can be"? He either is or isnt. If its your car and you do most of the driving then its illegal. And yes, it will ruin his no claims not yours, no matter which company you go with.

I agree.
I heard that if you have a crash and the insurance company find out that its actually your car and you are the main driver (not your dad) then they wont pay out for the repairs. Insurance companies aint stupid. They find out. There was something on top gear about it a while ago.
Cj-Tj
Where did he say that? He didnt. All he said was that his dad "could be". My dad "could be", for insurance purposes, as it is hes insured on the car, but hasnt driven it once in 3 years. From "could be" you assumed it would all be legal and kosher. There are plenty of people whos rents are main drivers (for insurance purposes) when in fact they only rarely get behind the wheel. Assumptions are dangerous......... :wink:

And he followed it with "it's nothing dodgy". You really think he doesn't know about fronting? What else would he be referring to?
I don't see why you should jump down someone's throat as if they're a criminal just because they ask a simple and legitimate question about insurance.

Emma:-)
I agree.
I heard that if you have a crash and the insurance company find out that its actually your car and you are the main driver (not your dad) then they wont pay out for the repairs. Insurance companies aint stupid. They find out. There was something on top gear about it a while ago.

You must be right, since I hear that if you throw a stone into a pond, it will make a splash. :rolleyes:

He wouldn't be fronting, so it's irrelevant....
Reply 23
Cj-Tj
How do you mean "can be"? He either is or isnt. If its your car and you do most of the driving then its illegal. And yes, it will ruin his no claims not yours, no matter which company you go with.

warrenpenalver
Driving as an additional driver on a parents insurance policy is illegal if you are the main driver.

pumpkin7
er, that's called fronting and it is illegal. if you get caught you will get 6 points on your licence and may be charged with driving without insurance.

mackemforever
It is illegal.

While under normal circumstances you are not going to be caught HOWEVER if you have a crash and they find out that its your car, either through any mods you have done to it or anybody testifying that you drive it most then they won't pay out.

Guys, I'm NOT trying the break the law here. I said my dad CAN BE the main driver, because if it means my insurance will be £1000 less, which I was quoted for, then I'm willing to let my dad drive the car more than me, IF it means that I'll still be getting a no claims too.

The_Goose
tbf your better off just getting your own policy. also be aware that if your dad has his own policy with his own car then he can't use his no claims discount twice. I looked into this, but because my dad no claims discount was already in use on another policy it didn't make it one bit cheaper by having him as the main driver. although i found it made my insurance about £60 cheaper when i added my parents as named drivers to my policy with quinn direct. freaky

Gilly Gillett
Would like to point out that if your parent already has a car, and already uses their no claims discount, then that discount WILL NOT apply to the second car - ie the one you're driving - so it will be quite a lot more expensive than you'd imagine.
That's what Direct Line told me anyway - imagine my surprise when I got a letter through saying my premium was going up by £600 because my mum already had a car using her no claims bonus!!

Well I'm not sure about that. I've been quoted about £1000 cheaper WITH my dad as the main driver and it asked me if he already has another car and I put YES..?

flyinthesky
I think the co-op offer something like this. You can also build up your own no-claims with them. Might be worth investing in protecting your dad's no claims too. It cost my mum £10 to do that I think.

Kevmeister
You can protect no-claims, you just pay for the privilege. Direct line also let you build up your own no-claims. The best thing you can do is ring several insurance brokers tomorrow and ask them about your options.....

Thanks.
Reply 24
Chris4
Guys, I'm NOT trying the break the law here. I said my dad CAN BE the main driver, because if it means my insurance will be £1000 less, which I was quoted for, then I'm willing to let my dad drive the car more than me, IF it means that I'll still be getting a no claims too.

I dont get you. He either WILL BE or WONT BE. If he has his own car then chances are he will want to use that rather than yours. Its not a case of "if you let him," moreover a case of "will he use it regularly." You might find difficult questions are asked if he has a car insured in his own name, yet is also the main driver of a car registered in his sons name. Insurance companies arnt daft, they know you cant drive 2 cars at once!
Reply 25
Chris4
Well I'm not sure about that. I've been quoted about £1000 cheaper WITH my dad as the main driver and it asked me if he already has another car and I put YES..?

Missed this. When it asked about your dads NCB, you should have put 0 years. If you didnt then requote and see what happens. NCB can only be used on one car at a time, so for the purposes of your policy he doesnt have any bonus.
Reply 26
Cj-Tj
I dont get you. He either WILL BE or WONT BE. If he has his own car then chances are he will want to use that rather than yours. Its not a case of "if you let him," moreover a case of "will he use it regularly." You might find difficult questions are asked if he has a car insured in his own name, yet is also the main driver of a car registered in his sons name. Insurance companies arnt daft, they know you cant drive 2 cars at once!

I'm going to university. My car will be sitting at home. This means he will use it while I'm gone and will therefore be the main driver. That good enough?
Cj-Tj
Missed this. When it asked about your dads NCB, you should have put 0 years. If you didnt then requote and see what happens. NCB can only be used on one car at a time, so for the purposes of your policy he doesnt have any bonus.

Ok, well if that's true then yeah I can't get no claims bonus on the additional car.
It does seem odd that its so much cheaper for you to go on your dads policy than on your own.

My first car was a 57 plate Mazda 2. A £10,500 car.

For me to be insured on my own policy, 3rd party, was £1300.
For me to be added to my dads policy if he took it out on my car as 3rd party, would add just over £1800 to his policy.
Chris4

Thanks.

I can send you the letter asking for the extra £600 if you'd like? Perhaps get a transcript of the phone call? I was quoted £600 less having put my mum down as having another car...then two months later, they asked for the £600. The question is not does your parent already use their no claims discount!
Music Maestro
How Would Anyone Find Out?

interview under caution ...

'helpful' neighbours ...

transaction details for fuel, servicing and parts ...

parking permits ...

insurers will hapily spend thousands of pounds proving your fronting if it gets them out of paying tens of thousands to millions of pounds to settle a claim
Reply 30
Gilly Gillett
I can send you the letter asking for the extra £600 if you'd like? Perhaps get a transcript of the phone call? I was quoted £600 less having put my mum down as having another car...then two months later, they asked for the £600. The question is not does your parent already use their no claims discount!

Yup I realise that now, see my previous post.
Chris4
Yup I realise that now, see my previous post.

Excellent, didn't see that, just the quoted post. Don't want anyone else getting stung through this ridiculously quiet piece of insurance legislation!
Reply 32
Gilly Gillett
Excellent, didn't see that, just the quoted post. Don't want anyone else getting stung through this ridiculously quiet piece of insurance legislation!

Fair enough. Thanks. :biggrin:
if it helps, you are better of building up your NCB as soon as you can as you will have to pay huge insurance costs sooner or later for your first few years

bear in mind - a lot of these special non stand no claims stuff companies offer are usually of limited use with OTHER insurers.
Reply 34
warrenpenalver
Driving as an additional driver on a parents insurance policy is illegal if you are the main driver.

Agreed, it is illegal and invalidates your insurance policy if you are found out.

OP why don't you just add your parents as a NAMED driver? That will still lower your insurance.
Reply 35
I want to know
Even if you are legitimately NOT the main driver, insurers will heavily investigate when a named driver claims on the insurance. As well as this, you won't be building up NCB so your insurance will not get significantly cheaper as you get older.
Original post by Jaceyb
I want to know

You've bumped a thread from 2009...

Latest

Trending

Trending