Best places for English Lit and Creative Writing?

Watch this thread
mckenna
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
It probably suggests everything in the title. This is the degree I'm hoping to do at uni next year and am interested to know which places are good for the course.

My current choices are: Man Met, Salford, Gloucestershire and John Moores, plus the fifth and final choice.

Thanks
inksplodge
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
Warwick is particularly known for its creative writing course.
matt1991
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Isn't York meant to be particularly good?
pencilcase
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
depends on what a level grades you reckon your gonna get.
ladylish
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mckenna)
It probably suggests everything in the title. This is the degree I'm hoping to do at uni next year and am interested to know which places are good for the course.

My current choices are: Man Met, Salford, Gloucestershire and John Moores, plus the fifth and final choice.

Thanks
UEA are particularly good for it - it's very competitive there, though, as a result. They have alumni like Ian McEwan, Kazuo Ishiguro and Tracy Chevalier, among many many others. They will ask for a portfolio of work, but don't interview.

Royal Holloway also do it, as do Warwick (supposed to be very good there - they interview and and ask for a portfolio of work), Goldsmiths (who also interview and want a portfolio) and Kent.

Kent, oddly enough, don't ask to see any work...
tigermoth99
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
You normally need a portfolio for an MA in the subject, you shouldn't have to if you're just doing an undergraduate degree. That seems a little strange, tbh.

When I applied for the MA in Creative Writing at Royal Holloway, I had to submit a portfolio of creative writing (either poetry or fiction) and some critical work (such as essays)
ladylish
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tigermoth99)
You normally need a portfolio for an MA in the subject, you shouldn't have to if you're just doing an undergraduate degree. That seems a little strange, tbh.

When I applied for the MA in Creative Writing at Royal Holloway, I had to submit a portfolio of creative writing (either poetry or fiction) and some critical work (such as essays)
Why not? In applying for a BA in English Lit with Creative Writing, you are applying for a degree with both creative and academic aspects - your academic grades essentially act as an indicator of ability for the academic portion, whilst a portfolio of work is good for indicating creative ability.

It's like applying for a fine art degree, without showing you have any talent in the first place...

They don't want to be accepting people who don't have anything to offer to the programme, do they?

I found it more concerning when applying to places like Kent for English Lit with Creative Writing that they didn't want to see samples of my work - it seemed like anyone could get in, and on a degree where you will likely to be expected to go into work shops and share work for criticism purposes with other students, you'd hope they'd have some prior experience of writing, and also have had their work assessed and deemed of good enough quality by the admissions tutors.
tigermoth99
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I can see your point, ladylish, but surely some of these courses will start from the assumption that everyone starting is an absolute beginner?

Not everyone who starts is going to have writing experience.

I remember when I did workshops in my first year, there were middle-aged students who had been writing for years and 19 year olds who had only just started to write.
ladylish
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I can see your point, ladylish, but surely some of these courses will start from the assumption that everyone starting is an absolute beginner?

Not everyone who starts is going to have writing experience.

I remember when I did workshops in my first year, there were middle-aged students who had been writing for years and 19 year olds who had only just started to write.
Yes, of course, but for places like Warwick and UEA which are highly competitive, portfolios are necessary to distinguish between students, regardless of how long they've been writing. I just found it odd when applying for English with Creative Writing myself that Kent simply gave me a place.

Not everyone will have long years of writing experience, no, but if you want to write then a short portfolio shouldn't be too much of an ask, even if it is only purely for purposes of admission. UEA, for example, asked me for either a short story or 4 poems, or a combination of the two. Beyond coursework at school, I hadn't really had any proper experience of writing either (apart from the odd little bit I did here and there), and had to write specifically for the requested portfolio as I did not have suitable material already available.

They aren't asking for masses of work, just a sample, and providing it shows that you can work to deadlines which can be hard to do in a creative subject, even if you've never written before in your life. Most people who are interested in a degree incorporating creative writing would have some samples of work, though, I would think.
*Honey*Bear*
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
warwick has got a top class english lit with creative writing i was very impressed but in the end decided I'd do a modual in creative writing (which I found most english lit course at unis offer and not do it as a main part of the course.
red_roses
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
To people who had to submit a portfolio of work to universities: were you given a prompt that you had to write about, or did you have to give a piece of of work about anything that had a certain word limit?
whatever...
Rep:
Report 12 years ago

a slight hijacking of the thread, where are you doing your MA and what do you write?

xox
Dalton
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I got accepted for Warwick and UEA doing this course and both asked in an e-mail for a portfolio. Might be a little late though now for this reply
Dalton
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Meh. I'm going to UEA though. I think it's better for the course, although Warwick is the better university in general if that makes sense
Dalton
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Haha. I hear the women are better in Norwich. Apparently, the night life is to. Warwick is too small to contain me
Dalton
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Nah, that's just the locals. There'll be a fair few hybrids being made while I'm there
DesertRoseFallen
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
English Lit and Creative Writing is what I am doing at De Montfort Uni. Mine was restricted though as I never did English Lit at A Level, I did English Language. And I really wanted to take the course so I was left with few options.
Cannot say what it is like though, after all, it's still Fresher's week haha.
Sam Fletcher
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
haha you a funny guy you ****ING PIECE OF **** TURD KICKER, I HOPE YOU DIE YOU SCUM, GO AND DROWN YOURSELF ******
H.Robinson
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
well aren't you lovely Sam, where are you studying? I'd love to meet you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
7.03%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.19%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.31%

Watched Threads