Does anybody to AAT? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aristotle
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Does anybody do AAT on this forum? It's an accounting technician course. I have a few queries and if possible, could somebody help me out?
minismeg
Report 13 years ago
Hi

What do you want to know? I'm starting with one of the Big 4 in September so have done my fair share of research into the AAT - ACA fast track.
Stan Hibbert
Report 13 years ago
HI, I am also interestet in the AAT scheme. I have been to PWC and KPMG open days regarding the AAT scheme but I'm still not sure about it. At both open days they said that a university degree is not necessary and will not be of any benefit when trying to get promoted. I would like to believe this as I'm not too keen on going to uni but I can't beleive it. Is it really possible to join at 18 on the AAT scheme and maybe eventually reach partner level? I really am interested in becoming an accountant but should I go to university first or just go on the AAT??

Thanks,
Aristotle
(Original post by minismeg)
Hi

What do you want to know? I'm starting with one of the Big 4 in September so have done my fair share of research into the AAT - ACA fast track.
I was wondering if you know any recruitment websites that take on AAT trainees. I would like to start AAT Foundation in September and work at the same time. Is is possible for me to work as well as study on block release? Any other AAT career related websites would be great.

Thanks in advance.
minismeg
Report 13 years ago
Hi

I know that the company I am starting with use block release and give you study breaks just before exams. They will tend to use a training provider such as the FTC or BPP.

Try accoutancyage.com or some of the accountancy recruiters such as hays etc.

I know of someone without a degree who is a partner at Grant Thornton, so it is possible and at the end of the day, the company I am working for after two years doing the AAT you move onto the ACA ALONGSIDE the graduates. The career path from there depends on how hard you work
Aristotle
Try accoutancyage.com or some of the accountancy recruiters such as hays etc.
I've tried those and they aren't much help. Thanks anyway.

Does anybody any websites that take up AAT starters? Or contact numbers, etc.?

How did you search for your job minismeg? And what qualifications did you have before you started working?

Thanks in advance.
minismeg
Report 13 years ago
have you tried the AAT website. If you sign up you can see a list of all the people currently recruiting AAT students. This is where i found most of the jobs that I applied for.

I have got BBB A Level which is what the Big 4 AAT schemes need, smaller firms require lower grades but I suppose some people may prefer working in a smaller firm

Good Luck
Stan Hibbert
Report 13 years ago
Once you have completed the AAT and the ACA, and if you wanted to wanted to move to a new firm or a different job, would employers prefer the graduates who have completed the ACA or does the ACA basically cancel the degree out as it is a professional qualification so you would have just as much chance. The thing is I don't want to do the AAT. ACA and then find out my options are restricted because I havn't got a degree.

Thanks,
minismeg
Report 13 years ago
I wont really know untill I have to do it. The ACA is a very well regarded qualification which if qualified through a big 4 company will open many doors. Some blue chip recruiters even specify Big 4 qualified ACA accountants only.

As long as you get first time passes in AAT and ACA with good UCAS points I dont see any reason for difficulty in moving firm or transfering department within a firm.

Also the ACCA would allow you just to do a dissertation a gain a full degree from Oxford Brooks for just (I Think) 10000 words, so would have a degree.

The ACA opens doors as a professional qualification to do postgraduate study if you wanted to such as an MBA.

I'd much prefer to do this route. No student debt, qualify in 4 years instead of 6 (if you do a degree), earn whilst you work and £32k in 4 1/2 years.
Aristotle
Thanks for the replies

Since I have no accountancy experience whatsoever, do you know how I could find out where I could do something like 2-4 weeks volutary work experience at a practice? Do you know of any websites and organisations that offer this?
Stan Hibbert
Report 13 years ago
I'd much prefer to do this route. No student debt, qualify in 4 years instead of 6 (if you do a degree), earn whilst you work and £32k in 4 1/2 years.
Sounds good to me. If I was applying to start AAT in september 2006 when would be the earliest I could apply?
navj
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hi
Iv just finished doin AS accounts and i would like to continue doin accounting into A2 and after become an Accountant.
I am really confused over which path to choose over how to become an accountant, i want to go to uni so i am thinking about doin a degree in accountancy, is this the best choice?
I really hav no idea what i should be doin to become a qulified accountant, can u please give me sum advise! :confused:
minismeg
Report 13 years ago
I think you would just have to contact some of the smaller local firms as I dont think that any of the larger firms do work experience. Try writing a letter to all the firms out the yellow pages or similar and see if you get any responses. You could try emailing the AAT, they may be able to help, or even a school careers adviser, if he/she is any good because mine weren't.

The earliest you can apply is around October 2005 for the AAT schemes so not many more months! Make sure you spend lots of time on the application forms as they are fairly long, the same as they use for graduates. I still appllied for uni through UCAS and got all my offers just for a back up incase the offer I had fell through.

To become an accountant you dont need a degree but 90% of accountants have a degree. The degree does not have to be accounting, they are non specific. People with accounting degrees tend to do worse in exams than people without accounting degrees, funny as it sounds!

As for the two routes; If you have a degree you can go straight on to the ACA, ACCA, CIPFA or CIMA. All different types of accounting qualification. Most large firms do ACA as it is the most prestigious.

The second route if you dont have a degree you spend two years doing the AAT (accounting technician) and then you can do the ACA etc afterwards. You dont come out with a degree, but the AAT qualification instead.

Its all personal preference, if you want to have a good time at uni and don't mind been in debt get a degree. If you want to get straight into work, qualify as an accountant 2 years earlier than people with degrees and not be in debt, go this route.
Stan Hibbert
Report 13 years ago
Does anyone know what the starting salary is if you do the AAT scheme at one of the big 4???? Also does this rise after completing the AAT????
HyperBowl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
After completion around £20,000 to £30,000

Training can be from £11,000 to £12,000 dependant on your location.
minismeg
Report 13 years ago
Hi

Outside London the salaries in a Big 4 are as follows.

Start - 12000
Year 1 - 14000
Year 2 - 18000
Year 3 - 24000
Qualified - 32000

A big 4 qualified accountant in London is around 42000!

Hope this helps
Stan Hibbert
Report 13 years ago
Thanks,

Where are you going to work? In London?
HyperBowl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was reading up about this.... quite a large majority of people seem to go into professional accountancy after completion of their AAT. IMO it's a good route to take.
minismeg
Report 13 years ago
nah up north!

After the AAT your best bet is to go on and do the full accoutancy qualification eg aca, acca or cima. It will take around 4 1/2 years to do aat and aca.

most people do go into professional accountancy but not the really large firms with just aat, although some do.
Montana
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hey, is AAT only for people without degrees?
What if I have a 2.i degree from a good uni (not numerical), what is the best option for me then?

Thanks
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (280)
27.56%
No (736)
72.44%

Watched Threads