The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

How are Notts w/Grades? (Eng+French) +rep

I'd really like to apply for this course at Notts, but it says that they want an A in French and I ony have a B (I have As in RS and English Lit) - but I will be spending my gap year in France, working as a chalet host / au pair to improve my speaking skills. Is it worth me applying for this course? It might not be relevant but I know people who got into Notts (for diff subjects) despite being 2/3 grades below their offer. I have emailed them but as of yet no response. I'd really appreciate a reply becuase their open days are so soon!
Thanks.
Reply 1
The reason you won't have recieved a response yet is because all the lecturers will currently fall into one of two camps; 1. Busy preparing for the new term and new intake. 2. On holiday so they don't get caught up in all the work preparing for the new term and new intake.

It is certainly worth e-mailing them to ask about this. I imagine that kind of experience would be a big plus and in the admissions tutor's eyes may compensate for the lower grades, however sometimes they have concrete cut off points built into the computerised part of the admissions system and if you don't meet them your application can get rejected before its even seen by a tutor. If you have other points like this which compensate then they can go delving into the system to retrieve your application and make sure it is considered.

As you've already e-mailed admissions this is a pretty moot point. If they do have these concrete cut offs (they still don't apply to all courses and aren't always A-level conditions) they should take a note of your name as they read it and make sure this doesn't become an issue. Either way, don't panic too much about it all, go and enjoy the open day and ask as many questions as you can possibly think of while you're there, if you haven't had a reply by then, you can always ask someone from admissions in person.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
There are only 19 places on the course so it'd be quite difficult for you to get a place unless you've been predicted an A at A-Level. Having said that, your PS (with info on your gap year) will show your commitment to French and show your zeal for the subject, so they could bend I guess...
Reply 3
Maybe if you explain your circumstances, or redo A2 french on your gap year (by which time you would probably be so fluent you could ace it).
You might as well apply :smile:

Explain your circumstances before hand (as you have done), and then talk about it in your PS, might not be guaranteed, but it'll give you a shot :smile:
Reply 5
Thnaks for the help guys.... I looked on the website and I think I stand an ok chance, especially since I noticed their IB requirements were 6 in English but 5 in French. So I think they are likely to a be a little lenient especially taking into consideration my gap year.
I thought English w/ language were all ABB offers? I'm doing it w/ Spanish and that's all I needed, despite me getting AAAB.

They might be okay if it's just one grade. There were only meant to be 5 people doing mine and there are actually 6 so with 19 you might be in with a shout.

Latest

Trending

Trending