Help!!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
discombobulation
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by irisng)
shambles stop sounding so I dunno - all over the place!

You've got loads of time to think about it and being all panicky about it won't help you at all.

You don't need an A at A-Level to do the subject at uni. One of my English teachers only got a D in Eng Lit at A-Level - granted he went to APU which is not exactly reputable in general - but he's now also our head of sixth form so I'd say he was quite successful! My Biology teacher who comes from Bath and a Masters from Bristol, the PGCE from Cambridge, actually got a C in Biology at A-Level.

If you enjoy German, I say keep it.

And it's ok to not know what you're doing just yet! Heck I still had no idea what I wanted to do even as I had applied! - yeh not a very good idea but I got there in the end - now am off to Nottingham to do Neuroscience, providing I get the grades. But before I had decided I had applied to 5 different science courses!

So you see, it's ok to be a little confused! As long as you got a good PS - which I did, sorta had to cus I had to tweek it so fine to suit all 5 courses! - and good grades - again I had, with AAAC (C in Chem unfortunately) and predicted AAB - so yeh as long as you got good grades and a good PS - you should be ok! You'll have more ideas as you go along cus before a month or two ago I still wasn't sure what I had really wanted to do - and I had applied back in October! If only I had a few more months for me to think about and see what the sciences are like, I would've known to apply for all Neuroscience!
Hehe thanks for the help it's interesting to see all different perspectives...just wish I had an aim if ya get me it's mental really but I'll just see I guess...thank you again
White_redrose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Also, when you apply you can (if you still haven't decided by the time you need to send your form off) apply for more than one subject. Visiting universities closer to the time will probably also help you narrow the choices down too. I wouldn't worry too much at this stage though...not long before I sent my form away I was all decided on English Lit, but switched to History after some deliberation (thank goodness! ) Which subject do you enjoy most atm?
Manatee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by what_a_shambles)
Ha, that's the confusing bit. I do German, English Literature, English Language and History. I enjoy German the most but have been struggling to even reach C Grade and the other subjects just weren't what I expected. I'm just completely confused, I have no ultimate aim for the future and I really need to find one!
Don't worry about not having an ultimate aim - most people don't! I definitely didn't when I applied for university the first time round and I still don't really have one ten years later... Just take it one step at a time and don't worry too much about making a mistake - people change direction all the time. Do you have any interests which you want to pursue? Like people have said, your options are not limited to your A-level subjects (which probably makes it even harder, I know - all that choice...).

discombobulation
Rep:
?
(Original post by White_redrose)
Also, when you apply you can (if you still haven't decided by the time you need to send your form off) apply for more than one subject. Visiting universities closer to the time will probably also help you narrow the choices down too. I wouldn't worry too much at this stage though...not long before I sent my form away I was all decided on English Lit, but switched to History after some deliberation (thank goodness! ) Which subject do you enjoy most atm?
Hmmm I enjoy German a lot and also History but to do both places often say you need an A/B in each and I am predicted an A in History but getting a B in German would be extremely difficult!
Thank you!
discombobulation
Rep:
?
(Original post by Manatee)
Don't worry about not having an ultimate aim - most people don't! I definitely didn't when I applied for university the first time round and I still don't really have one ten years later... Just take it one step at a time and don't worry too much about making a mistake - people change direction all the time. Do you have any interests which you want to pursue? Like people have said, your options are not limited to your A-level subjects (which probably makes it even harder, I know - all that choice...).

To be honest my only real real interest is writing but I'm not mental enough to think I could honestly write for a living and I wouldn't want to do a degree in Creative/Imaginative Writing cause I'd feel I was wasting my life! Oooh I wish I had a clue
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It seems that you like history, german, and writing a lot. :p: You can look at those courses (i.e. history, german, english) during the higher education convention.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmmm I enjoy German a lot and also History but to do both places often say you need an A/B in each and I am predicted an A in History but getting a B in German would be extremely difficult!
Thank you!
You never know, you might surprise yourself on reults day and do better in German than you think. If not, there are always resits, or you could always do a straight history degree but keep up with your German through the self-access languages centre that most universities have.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I thought I had got a D in German after I sat my AS exams. I was actually 1UMS mark off an A, and with resits it's now a comfortable A. Don't try to make too many decisions before results day, because that can really turn things on their heads
discombobulation
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ellie4)
I thought I had got a D in German after I sat my AS exams. I was actually 1UMS mark off an A, and with resits it's now a comfortable A. Don't try to make too many decisions before results day, because that can really turn things on their heads
I can just hope I guess, I know my oral was good and the essay bit but I just completely fecked up the whole listening/reading stuff...I hate the waiting!!
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I can just hope I guess, I know my oral was good and the essay bit but I just completely fecked up the whole listening/reading stuff...I hate the waiting!!
I know I was exactly the same last year, and by results day had convinced myself I'd failed them all. I'll be exactly the same once I've done my A2s and I'm waiting to hear whether I've got into uni! Try to chill out and enjoy your summer - though I knwo that can be very difficult! People always do better than they think
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Aaah bum, hope it helps me!!
Yup KGV it is, boring little place don't you think??
They aren't very helpful when it comes to future !!
if you go the careers office you can speak to someone (dunno who, probably some wombat who works there) and apparently they're fairly helpful.

you mentioned you might be interested in psychology, maybe do it for AS next year? the psychology department is absalutely ace and all the teachers are absalutely lovely

lou xxx
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1116)
78.93%
Leave (298)
21.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed