The Shakespeare Society Watch

Mimo
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by steerpike)
Has anyone seen the BBC adverts for a new adaption of midsummer nights dream? It looks really good! Very colourful and a bit quirky, as it should be.
:-O I haven't! What's it like? Who's in it? .... I must see that one.
rottcodd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's got 'Imelda Staunton, Bill Paterson, Johnny Vegas and Sharon Small' in it. I only know one of them (Johnny Vegas) who I generally think is a bit of an idiot...I think he plays the ass in it though, which is quite appropriate.

It's got a bit of information about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre.../14/bbc1.shtml should be good!
Possession
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lol - Johnny Vegas?! Odd, but it's a must-see!

Has anybody studied 'The Merchant of Venice'? It's on my Reading List and I just want to know what everybody's thoughts on it were, to study-wise. Brilliant? Good? Absolute sh*t? Yes, no?
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by steerpike)
It's got 'Imelda Staunton, Bill Paterson, Johnny Vegas and Sharon Small' in it. I only know one of them (Johnny Vegas) who I generally think is a bit of an idiot...I think he plays the ass in it though, which is quite appropriate.

It's got a bit of information about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre.../14/bbc1.shtml should be good!
Bill Paterson's nice, he's got a lovely Scottish accent Imelda Staunton's good too
Legend22
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I have sent a request to join, we are doing Romeo and Juliet in English ATM. I love Macbeth and Hamlet. And we have even got a painting of Shakespeare's house in our hallway! He was a great man, and I'd love to be a part of this Society.
Legend22
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yay, am now a member. Im looking forward to reading Romeo and Juliet as I havent read if before now, is it one of his better plays?
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
i'm going to the globe on friday to see the storm, which, despite not being by shakespeare, i read last year in latin (plautus - rudens), but it did influence the tempest and i suppose other works too slightly.

i'm also going on wednesday to see the tempest actually, as a groundling, but it should be interesting. if it's the same production as the one that was on there a few months back (i'm guessing it is), i heard it has a cast of only 3 actors or something odd?
Eskimo Melon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i would like to join! im just about to start english lit at college and i love shakespeare! i dont know why people dont like to study it
Legend22
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What is everyone's favourite play by him? Mine would have to be Macbeth, I just love everything about it, and my essay got me a Level 7 in English for my SAT's and I had to write something about the divine right of Kings, its a fantastic play.
last_train
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My favourite's Othello, but I really enjoyed Henry IV part 1 too - very funny!
Romeo and Juliet's great, we studied it at GCSE and watched the Baz Lurman film which is pretty damn slick.
Legend22
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We are going to be watching the Leornardo DiCaprio version.:rolleyes: And some other version, dont know who the cast is though. All I can say is Shakespeare is brilliant for giving us such great works of art to write about. :top:
Legend22
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Macbeth was a very unusual play by William Shakepeare. He used very vivid words and detail that was amazing. The plot in the beginning of the play was normal and very comprehenable. As it progessed, it became very difficult to understand the real point he was trying to get across. Shakepeare used very bold actions and words to detail the play as much as possible. It was a great play with some great lines including Macbeth's great sililoque.
Endymion
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Also, Macbeth was Shakespeare's shortest play. Just a bit of useless trivia there, seens as we're talking about Macbeth.
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't write that in an exam it's soliloquy =0)
Possession
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by silence)
i'm going to the globe on friday to see the storm, which, despite not being by shakespeare, i read last year in latin (plautus - rudens), but it did influence the tempest and i suppose other works too slightly.

i'm also going on wednesday to see the tempest actually, as a groundling, but it should be interesting. if it's the same production as the one that was on there a few months back (i'm guessing it is), i heard it has a cast of only 3 actors or something odd?
Oh yeah I heard about that! Some critic said it was because of Ariel, Caliban and everybody all being apart of Prospero - they're sides that reflect Prospero's character or something.
Ooooo, tell us how it goes, or went.
silence
Rep:
?
hmm. well i didn't know the play in too much depth before going (and still don't), but the main weaknesses seemed to be inherent in the plot rather than the actual production. that said, it did seem a bit anachronistic to have splendid extra baggy jacobean trousers for one actor, whilst these three muse/fariy women were prancing around in what seemed to biker gear. there was a choir above which sang songs every now and then, and it seemed as if they sang certain monologues in unrecognisable (but very harmonious) voices. i really did like the comical style of the play, however. the ad-libbing, indirect audience involvement and general delivery of jokes was top notch and reminded me of what i'd expect a play of plautus (the tempest was also loosely based on one plot-wise too) to involve. and the actual atmosphere of the globe is so unique, can't wait to go again on friday. they managed to do it well with three actors; but, as i said above, it's not tied up too well towards the end and i stopped trying to work out who was who by that point.
Legend22
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Endymion)
Also, Macbeth was Shakespeare's shortest play. Just a bit of useless trivia there, seens as we're talking about Macbeth.
That is a random fact, I will ask my English teacher today what the shortest play is, and see if he knows...l
silence
Rep:
?
and as for a short critique on 'The Storm'... very good. it was a real surprise to see the three actors from the tempest (and a couple of the dancers) joining the cast for this play. i said how the comedic moments were fantastic in the tempest, but as the storm is a comedy entirely, the whole play was pretty much fantastic. it was really interesting because i'd been studying the original play (plautus) in latin and english for around a year, and there were some relatively significant plot changes but it all worked out to be beneficial. there was a sense of slapstick and pantomime, but that's exactly what not only the globe was/is all about, but it seems to be an integral part of roman comedy.

the play has been modernised in tiny instances for the purpose of humor (i.e. a character bending over into the audience to ask for a member's mobile to call their fellow character). there was one slightly cringeworthy moment when two female characters were doing this whole "whatever, minger, loser" thing, but on the whole the text and plot had been splendidly adapted. maybe adapted is too strong a word, instead i'd go with enhanced. nevertheless, it's a great play - go and see it!
Endymion
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Kontroversial)
That is a random fact, I will ask my English teacher today what the shortest play is, and see if he knows...l
Heh, testing the teacher. What did they say? Were they right?
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh, I saw the Tempest at the Globe the other day and really enjoyed it. I imagine that it was pretty hard to keep up with if you don't know the play very well, though. I thought the costumes worked fairly well, I can't imagine Mark Rylance in anything else and they served to distinguish between kind of the proper characters and the spirits - which is what I assumed the three dancer-type girls represented. I wasn't convinced about the actor playing Miranda/Ariel, though he was amusing. I loved the sort of choreography of it - the way they switched between characters, and all that stuff with the rope (very impressive!).
I also saw Troilus and Cressida there in original pronunciation. It was interesting, but as usual when I see a seldom-performed Shakespeare play I realised why it wasn't so popular: it's simply not very good. However, I thought the actors did well, considering the material they were working with, though there seemed to have been rather more focus on the language than the performance. And huzzah for £5 tickets, though less so for walking from the British Museum to the Globe in the rain. My shoes are still soaking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (539)
37.8%
No - but I will (111)
7.78%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.73%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (680)
47.69%

Watched Threads