The Shakespeare Society Watch

silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
lol the £5 tickets are great, but i wouldn't do it again; could barely walk after the tempest. but it is a completely great feeling in terms of audience atmosphere to be down there. i was interested in the troilus and cressida, but it seems it turned out as it i imagined with a relatively average plot neither saved nor enhanced by any of this pronunciation business.

you should see the storm! they change the plot slightly (i won't go into too much detail incase you do see it); but charmides turns up later in the play in 70s disco outfit (same actor as miranda/ariel), palaestra and ampelisca are scousers (i suppose some kind of connection with the prostitute thing), ptolemocratia is a slightly more major character.. mark rylance plays a splendid daemones and labrax, with the caliban actor playing plesidipus (with a slightly less gymnastic routine).
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I didn't mean to be quite so down on Troilus and Cressida, it was definitely worth seeing (especially for £5), and because I'm a bit of a language freak I loved the whole pronounciation thing. Maybe not worthwhile if it hadn't had that aspect, but when are you next going to get to see a production of T&C?
Mark Rylance as Labrax? What a bizarre thought! I'd like to see The Storm (as well as the new-ish version of Measure For Measure), but I doubt I'll be able to get down to Londinium again before it closes.
Vortigan
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Has anybody seen Hamlet? I'm seeing soon for the first time and would like to know what to expect... (After King Lear I though a preview might be in order... :eek: )
Leo-Marcus
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Vortigan)
Has anybody seen Hamlet? I'm seeing soon for the first time and would like to know what to expect... (After King Lear I though a preview might be in order... :eek: )
Yes, I've seen and studied it. Great play, but the production we saw was a bit too japanese. Still - interesting perspective. Expect ghosts, incest and Hamlet moping around like Kevin the teenager.
Endymion
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Vortigan)
I saw a production of Hamlet by the RSC in Stratford last year. It was one of the best plays I've seen, and that's saying something, as I tend to get bored watching tragedies very quickly. Toby Stephens played a very convincing Hamlet too. The only down point was the director completely cut the incestuous relationship between Hamlet and his mother. Oh well.

Also, I saw Macbeth at the ADC Theatre in Cambridge last night, and have to say that was one of the worst productions I've ever seen.
Possession
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Has anyone seen 'The Merchant of Venice' with Al Pacino in it?
Endymion
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by x-Jo-x)
Has anyone seen 'The Merchant of Venice' with Al Pacino in it?
No - Is it good?

I'm off to see an all-male production of The Winter's Tale on Saturday night. It'll certainly give me an idea of what the audience felt vis-à-vis homoerotic tensions, between actors, during in the Renaissance. :knuddel:
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
the tempest i saw at the globe recently was all male. i would say that there were tensions as such, but it was relatively amusing in parts due to their on-stagee/off-stage gender variation.
fleur-de-lis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hi everyone, new to this soc! Not sure how exactly I overlooked this... anyway be prepared to hear some foolish soliloquies from yours truly.
Endymion
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well The Winter's Tale was excellent. I believe it was a touring company, so I highly recommend seeing it, if it comes to your area.

As for the homoerotic tensions I thought I'd observe, I did to some extent. However, it was amusing as you said, probably due to fact most of the men playing women had beards. Reminds me of Shakespeare in Love to an extent. Obviously the production differed from Renaissance staging of such plays, as the female parts were played by younger feminine looking boys back then.
life_rockz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Erm...i seem to be pretty late at discovering societies, but could i join please?
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/4383736.stm
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But the evidence for most of the so-called Shakespeare portraits is pretty weak anyway, I don't know a lot about this picture, but to argue that it's Shakespeare just because he's the right age and looks sort of like the pictures we're fairly sure about seems a bit silly.
Possession
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Endymion)
No - Is it good?

I'm off to see an all-male production of The Winter's Tale on Saturday night. It'll certainly give me an idea of what the audience felt vis-à-vis homoerotic tensions, between actors, during in the Renaissance. :knuddel:
Yes, it's very good! Casts a whole new light to the character of Shylock. Strangley enough, there also seemed to be a lot of errrm, homoerotic tensions between characters!
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i wanna join the group please....pretty preettty please
Silver Scribes
Report 13 years ago
Hey there, could I please join?!
Endymion
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just a heads up post for the Shakespeare - Retold series that starts on BBC 1 on Monday evening, at 8.30. The first play they cover is Much Ado About Nothing. If this series is similar to BBC 1's attempt at updating Chaucer's Canterbury Tales then we certainly have something to look forward to.
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was hoping for an in-depth discussion of the BBC's Much Ado...I suppose I'll just have to start it! I missed the first half hour (I had to watch Jeremy Paxman - priorities!), but thought it was quite good, liked the way they managed the scenes where they get Beatrice/Benedick to find out that the other is supposed to be in love with them (I know there's a name for them...) and thought they updated it well. I'm not convinced that the updated Macbeth will work so well.
There was also an advert for something Shakespeare-y on Radio 4 next week, anyone know anything about it?
Leo-Marcus
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm a bit cynical about these rehashings of Shakespeare. I don't see how they can be really Shakespeare without his words. Shakespeare stole most of his plots in the first place - it was his storytelling that captured imaginations. Surely one would need to perform a piece with its original dialogue for it to be called ShakespeaRe-told?
Possession
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Shakespeare also stole some of the words, as well as his plots. Is that original dialogue?

It brings a different angle to his plays, which may be interesting in terms of how you may respond to it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (227)
39.27%
No - but I will (40)
6.92%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (270)
46.71%

Watched Threads