The Student Room Group

The Shakespeare Society

Scroll to see replies

x-Jo-x
Lol, I know what it's called - unis bang on about it all the time. It was just a reponse to the previous post about 'original dialogue'.

ah hehe silly me hehe
Madelyn
I was hoping for an in-depth discussion of the BBC's Much Ado...I suppose I'll just have to start it! I missed the first half hour (I had to watch Jeremy Paxman - priorities!), but thought it was quite good, liked the way they managed the scenes where they get Beatrice/Benedick to find out that the other is supposed to be in love with them (I know there's a name for them...) and thought they updated it well. I'm not convinced that the updated Macbeth will work so well.
There was also an advert for something Shakespeare-y on Radio 4 next week, anyone know anything about it?

I saw it too, and agree with you - thought it was pretty good, once I got used to the fact that it really was a 'modern adaptation' i.e. barely any Shakespeare prose survived. But then again, I'm also quite a big Damien Lewis fan, so maybe I was determined to like it anyway! :smile:

I missed Macbeth (not really bothered, I don't think a 'modernisation' of Macbeth would work, really.) Anyway, I taped this week's 'The Taming of the Shrew' which I really should get around to watching soon...
Reply 222
i've missed every single shakespeare thing on the bbc; a bit annoying.
silence

Ditto me, due to no t.v in uni... :frown:
but my mum's taped them all for me so I can have a Shakespeare marathon over xmas hehe
can i join this society\? i rly like shakespeare, he was such a cleva riter!
Reply 225
Hey let me join as well please, and does anyone agree that the taming of the shrew was possibly one of the worst choices of shakespeares plays to modernise, it is very linked to the attitudes of his time. I thought Much ado about nothing was quite good though, oh and did anyone see it at the crucible in Shefiled, i thought it was rather well done, if anyone did see it who did they feel aobut the changing of Antonio to a female character ?
Reply 226
I saw the recent Sheffield production and was actually rather disappointed, after years of Michael Grandage (love him) and Sam West's promising start with Comedy of Errors, Much Ado was a bit of a let-down. I felt that the actors weren't really using the space they had, they were more or less just walking on, delivering their lines, and walking off again. They could have done so much more with the scenes where Beatrice and Benedick each 'overhear' about the other's love for them, and the Dogberry thing seemed fairly pointless. It wasn't a bad production as such, it just didn't add anything to the play - which I feel something as frequently performed as Much Ado needs to do if it is to stand up.
Taming of the Shrew can work, even in modern times. The film 10 Things I Hate About You 'updates' it fairly well, equally we have things like Kiss Me Kate. However, the BBC one seemed like a bit of a cop-out. I usually watch Shrew to see how they deal with the feminist issues and this version simply ignored them. I know I sound a bit hairy-legged feminist here, but it's that kind of thing that perpetuates all the myths around rape. I mean, what modern woman would really put up with treatment like that? Especially one depicted (as this Katharina was) as an ambitious, ball-breaking career woman type? I also thought that making Bianca into a celebrity didn't quite work. The performances, however, were good, but the rest of it spoiled it for me.
Reply 227
I partly agree with you about the Shefiled version of Much Ado,the watch is often done badly in contempary productions and the one in this version was not anything i havent seen before or come to expect, i thought Beatrice was portrayed quite well,however i missed the first scene due to a football match and so missed most of the antaganism between her and Benedick which i would have enjoyed seeing
Reply 228
Yes, Beatrice was good. I think it was just poor direction.
Did anyone see William Boyd's A Waste of Shame on BBC4 the other day? It was a sort of dramatisation of Shakespeare writing the sonnets. I thought it was quite interesting - Boyd's theory was that Fair Youth was William Herbert, son of the Earl of Pembroke, and Dark Lady was a black prostitute. Mostly good, though Shakespeare seemed curiously passionless, and in the voiceover bits they kept chopping the sonnets about, which annoyed me. And Boyd made so many assumptions about so many things, apparently ignoring all the debate. But I quite enjoyed it.
Madelyn
I saw the recent Sheffield production and was actually rather disappointed, after years of Michael Grandage (love him) and Sam West's promising start with Comedy of Errors, Much Ado was a bit of a let-down. I felt that the actors weren't really using the space they had, they were more or less just walking on, delivering their lines, and walking off again. They could have done so much more with the scenes where Beatrice and Benedick each 'overhear' about the other's love for them, and the Dogberry thing seemed fairly pointless. It wasn't a bad production as such, it just didn't add anything to the play - which I feel something as frequently performed as Much Ado needs to do if it is to stand up.
Taming of the Shrew can work, even in modern times. The film 10 Things I Hate About You 'updates' it fairly well, equally we have things like Kiss Me Kate. However, the BBC one seemed like a bit of a cop-out. I usually watch Shrew to see how they deal with the feminist issues and this version simply ignored them. I know I sound a bit hairy-legged feminist here, but it's that kind of thing that perpetuates all the myths around rape. I mean, what modern woman would really put up with treatment like that? Especially one depicted (as this Katharina was) as an ambitious, ball-breaking career woman type? I also thought that making Bianca into a celebrity didn't quite work. The performances, however, were good, but the rest of it spoiled it for me.

I didn't enjoy the BBC one at all. Whereas with all of the other recent Shakespeare Retold programmes I have watched from start to finish I lost interest in this one half way through. The BBC have done a fantastic job of updating Shakespeare over the last few weeks, with lasts nights A Midsummer Nights Dream being rather fantastic however I felt something was missing from Taming of the Shrew. I don't know the play particulary well but maybe it was the feminist issues as you suggest.
It's funny, 'cause I really enjoyed the BBC Taming of the Shrew adaptation. I thought the actors were great and I found it very funny. Of course there are some uncomfortable anti-feminist sentiments which made it quite jarring in its modern setting - but that IS the Shakespeare play. If (as 'adaptations' like '10 things I hate about you' have done) you just ignore the 'submitting-to-the-husband' bits and pretend they don't exist, then you're essentially changing the plot and not really being faithful to the play. Which is all fine if you don't intend to be faithful, but I think the BBC adaptation was trying to keep as much of the Shakespeare storyline in it as possible.
The 'fault' is with the play itself, not the BBC adaptaion. Anyway, I enjoyed it in a 'not-taking-it-at-all-seriously' way!
Reply 231
pippa_87
It's funny, 'cause I really enjoyed the BBC Taming of the Shrew adaptation. I thought the actors were great and I found it very funny. Of course there are some uncomfortable anti-feminist sentiments which made it quite jarring in its modern setting - but that IS the Shakespeare play. If (as 'adaptations' like '10 things I hate about you' have done) you just ignore the 'submitting-to-the-husband' bits and pretend they don't exist, then you're essentially changing the plot and not really being faithful to the play. Which is all fine if you don't intend to be faithful, but I think the BBC adaptation was trying to keep as much of the Shakespeare storyline in it as possible.
The 'fault' is with the play itself, not the BBC adaptaion. Anyway, I enjoyed it in a 'not-taking-it-at-all-seriously' way!

I agree. I thought TTOTS was the best out the four of the BBC adaptations; certainly the one I most enjoyed.
Reply 232
a midsummer night's dream was the only one i managed to see, but i thought it was still quite good.
PLEASE CAN I JOIN?!!!!

*really excited!!!*
Reply 234
go to user control panel, then group memberships..
Reply 235
I've taped the shrew, and was gutted to have missed Dream, cause I'm doing a mini version at the swan theatre in stratford in january *giggles excitedly* playing Helena. Also studying it for A2 drama exam, so it's a major part of my life right now!!

I did macbeth for part of my AS course for drama, and actually really liked the adaptation of it - thought Much Ado was ok, my main criticism with the whole 'retold' stuff is purely the cutting of some of the best lines in history!

I think it would have pained me too much to watch Dream, would have screamed at TV!
Do you reckon the BBC will bring them out on DVD and do some more adaptations? I though The Taming Of The Shrew was brilliant!
Does anyone know anything about The Winter's Tale and the tradgic and comic elements in it? I need to write an essay, and I need help!
silence

so did i. i really wanted to see Macbeth, cause i've just finished reading it!!
Macbeth was nice to read :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending