The Shakespeare Society Watch

xXxBaby-BooxXx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by silence)
i've missed every single shakespeare thing on the bbc; a bit annoying.
so did i. i really wanted to see Macbeth, cause i've just finished reading it!!
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Macbeth was nice to read
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
which leaves the question(s) begging: what value do the plays of shakespeare (and even his contemporaries) have when being read, compared to the value they might have in being performed? could it be that a performance now is so distant from an original performance that the text is the closest we can really get to the "original" essense of shakespeare?
littlemissalex
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I am absolutely inlove with Othello - in particular Iago.. God what a character!! I love him, he's soo evil and such a hypocrit but the way he's presented is amazing!! Sorry i just had to post that :P
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
which leaves the question(s) begging: what value do the plays of shakespeare (and even his contemporaries) have when being read, compared to the value they might have in being performed? could it be that a performance now is so distant from an original performance that the text is the closest we can really get to the "original" essense of shakespeare?
Good question. But given that a lot of the texts are themselves fairly corrupt - the bits added to Macbeth, for example - can we really call them the "essence of Shakespeare"? What about original-dress productions, or those which draw on Jacobethan theatre techniques, or the recent Globe Troilus and Cressida with original pronunciation - surely they come fairly close to the original performances?
Why ought we to see Shakespeare's plays as they were four hundred years ago? Since much of Shakespeare's merit lies in his being "not for an age, but for all time", surely this universality of application, and hence our ability to transfer the plays to more modern situations in order to better relate them to our own lives, is as, if not more, deserving of being performed.
Of course, there is also the argument that when you see a performance, you're not just looking at Shakespeare's vision (and the visions of his editors...) as you would if you simply read the text, you're also looking at the director's interpretation of the play. Now while this can contribute to your understanding of the play - it might raise issues you hadn't previously considered, for example, or play a character to emphasise a particular aspect of his personality - it also arguably obstructs your view of this "essence" of Shakespeare. Maybe we should all just read and watch as much Shakespeare as we possibly can. What a good idea...
LondonCityBoy
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
I would like to join the society, please...
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
I am rather excited as soon I shall be able to purchase my copy of the recent BBC Shakespeare modern versions on DVD!! Wonderful..
last_train
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yay, I thought Much Ado was a great adaptation!
Che!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I recently saw a production of Measure for Measure at the Globe, and was suprised at the way in which the Duke and Isabella were portrayed. What astounded me most was the fact that men were playing Marianna, Isabella and Mistress Overdone. Having read the play numberous times, I had formulated my own opinions on the way in which characters should behave onstage and the way I, as director, would portray them. So, naturally, when I saw it performed for the first time, I was shocked about how much the comic side of the play was shown up and the extent to which the sexual inuendo was push to the foreground. However, this is the way in which the original would have been performed. It is, in fact, our modern day interpretation which has distorted the characters and their true roles. Therefore, as an audience, we must appreciate Shakespeare's original audience and the society which he was entertaining, instead of believing that the play will fit exactly to our modern notions of drama.
Sjay_baby
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i'm really upset, we're not doing any shakespeare this year in Drama...

last year we did a 6th form prduction of a Midsummer Night's Dream, FAB! :p: i love that play, i've seen about 6 different performances of it. But i think that there is so much more to Titania than is usually shown, i paint her alot to try and compile her emotions and her relationship with Oberon. It really upsets me when shes portrayed as a flouncy fairy, i think shes much deeper than that... maybe its just me! :rolleyes: :p:
Clark Black
Report 13 years ago
I'll gladly join in
electric_egg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
*puts up hand to join in too*
I also love 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'. Have you seen the current RSC production?
Helzerel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by electric_egg)
*puts up hand to join in too*
I also love 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'. Have you seen the current RSC production?
Hi, I'm wanting to join the S'peare Society for the simple reason that S'peare is a dude and I love his plays!

Butting in the conversation here - any Londoners/anyone else - have you seen the Midsummer Night's Dream productino as put on by the Regents Park Open Air Theatre? (the 'lion' was hysterical..split my sides laughing)
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
i should be going to the open air theatre a lot more, it's pretty much on my doorstep (outside termtime). but i havn't. actually, i did see a midsummer night's there a while ago, i mean like 9 years ago or so. it's probably changed.

if people want to join the society properly, go to user cp, the on the left go to group memberships.
Helzerel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if people want to join the society properly, go to user cp, the on the left go to group memberships.
I went there - the Shakespeare society isn't listed :eek:
bryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
May I join? I love Shakespeare's sonnets!
Angelil
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Please may I join?
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by gurlsinger)
so did i. i really wanted to see Macbeth, cause i've just finished reading it!!
Macbeth was played by Mr Tumnus
Che!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What is your favourite speech from Shakespeare?

Mine's Bottom's 'translation' speech in "A Midsummer Night's Dream". Pure genius...
Endymion
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The opening lines of Twelfth Night.

'If music be the food of love, play on.'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.29%
No - but I will (77)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.02%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (486)
48.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed